Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:50 PM EDT
i was told that there is a book out there relateing to snipers in general, writen by a viet nam sniper who eliminated 70 or so vietnamiese soldiers on his own. annyone know the title and author?
i cant offer any more info than this, it was reffered to me by my uncle but he also did not know the author or title.
thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:04:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:04:13 PM EDT by ErinMT]
There are quiet a few Viatnam era accounts from snipers.

Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson

Soldier by James Gibborn

Dead Center by Ed Kugler
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:06:26 PM EDT
he was the sniper with the highest kill count in the us military...
thats the last tidbit i recalled being told about the book
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:11:16 PM EDT by Daytona955i]
Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, by Charles Henderson

Both are about Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock. One of our nation's greatest Marines and the hero of designated Marksman everywhere.

He even saved a bunch of men from a bad fire and ended his career and brought on an early case of I think it was Parkinson's disease because of it.

Two of my favorite books.

He had 92 confirmed kills and like over 300 or so unconfirmed I believe.

ETA: Him and his spotter also took out a platoon or something by themselves and he had the longest kill on record for a very long time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:10:31 PM EDT
That would be Carlos Norman Hathcock the 2nd, with 93 confirmed kills.

He is the sniper "Marine Sniper" is about. Great book, and from what I'm told required reading for all ARFCOM readers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, by Charles Henderson

Both are about Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock. One of our nation's greatest Marines and the hero of designated Marksman everywhere.

He even saved a bunch of men from a bad fire and ended his career and brought on an early case of I think it was Parkinson's disease because of it.

Two of my favorite books.

He had 92 confirmed kills and like over 300 or so unconfirmed I believe.

ETA: Him and his spotter also took out a platoon or something by themselves and he had the longest kill on record for a very long time.

He tied up that whole platoon, just him and his spotter. He also shot an North Vietnamese sniper that was sent out after him through the scope (as you saw in SPR). He is credited with the longest range kill (it may have been a mile or more, I can't recall).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:29 PM EDT
I believe there was a sniper in Vietnam with a higher *confirmed* kill count than Hathcock. I think I recall his name being Mawhinney (sp?) with a first name of Charles or Chuck. I think I recall seeing him at times on the History channel. You might want to Google his name and see what comes up. I do believe a book was written about him. He is/was a very private person and did not come out much about his tours in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:24:29 PM EDT
Just Googled him and yes, his name is Chuck Mawhinney. He had 103 confirmed kills in Vietnam which put him above Hatchcock.

Check out this link for more info.

home.swipnet.se/longrange/ZAITSEV.htm
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:14:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
I believe there was a sniper in Vietnam with a higher *confirmed* kill count than Hathcock. I think I recall his name being Mawhinney (sp?) with a first name of Charles or Chuck. I think I recall seeing him at times on the History channel. You might want to Google his name and see what comes up. I do believe a book was written about him. He is/was a very private person and did not come out much about his tours in Vietnam.

Chuck Mawhinney

His name first came up in the book Dear Mom by Joseph T. Ward

Some of the feats in the book seemed like B.S. (mostly stuff the author was claiming to have done)
so the Chandlers called him out in one of their Death From Afar books. Also required reading IMO if you can afford the $60 per volume.
I forget exactly how it went but I believe J.T. Ward never rodgered up, Mawhinney did though.
He cleared up what was fact about him and what his experiences were. He even appeared in a later
issue of DFA.

I'd say Marine Sniper is an excellent place to start reading about snipers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:15:50 PM EDT
there was a better sniper than him to, some black army guy from D.C and right below his was that other army sniper. I really didnt like wards book, he really thought he was a badass or something, just rubbed me wrong.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:29:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BeckettOfNevada:
there was a better sniper than him to, some black army guy from D.C and right below his was that other army sniper. I really didnt like wards book, he really thought he was a badass or something, just rubbed me wrong.

I cantrecall the name, but I think its like Adelbert. Never heard from him though, but some of his exploits are insane.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:48:42 PM EDT
Hathcock spent two days crawling across an open field wearing a ghillie suit in front of some palace (500 yards I think), shot some North Vietnamese General, and crawled back out without being discovered.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:17 PM EDT
Very badass. "Marine Sniper" Is the best Viet-War book I have ever read.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
the second army snipers name was walbert or something but the black guy from D.C. that racked up the kills name i do not recall.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:52 PM EDT
Another Rifle Warrior
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:41:30 PM EDT
Jesus people. Hathcocks long range 50 kill was at 2500 yards. Now it's written as 2250, don't know why. Some Canuck has a kill at 2500 now to take THAT record from him. A mile is 1760 yards. And it wasn't a platoon of NVA, it was a Company, THREE platoons. He saved several marines from the top of a burning Amtrac that had a 500 pound box mine detonated under it, it caused Multiple sclerosis, not parkinsons, and he had to retire in 79. 10 years later. Although the burns exasperated his condition, he'd shown symptoms of it 8 or so years before. Just 2 months short of 20 that would have allowed him a pension and medical and him to get that and a new job. He got %60 disability pay and would have lost that had he gotten another job. The marine corps shit on him in the end and he damn near ate a bullet over it. He's a classic example of a vet, shit on by his government. And no where nearly as bad as a lot of other vets. I guess it's because I grew up less than a mile from him, and hunted in the same woods as a child, and got to meet him before he died in 99 that I'm so passionate. He was nothing less than a true american hero that deserves to have his story told accuratly. And on that subject, his 2500 yard kill, he missed, he shot 18 inches over where the mans head was but got lucky because the man was squatting at the time, and after he pushed the butterfly, the man stood up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:07:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Jesus people. Hathcocks long range 50 kill was at 2500 yards. Now it's written as 2250, don't know why. Some Canuck has a kill at 2500 now to take THAT record from him. A mile is 1760 yards. And it wasn't a platoon of NVA, it was a Company, THREE platoons. He saved several marines from the top of a burning Amtrac that had a 500 pound box mine detonated under it, it caused Multiple sclerosis, not parkinsons, and he had to retire in 79. 10 years later. Although the burns exasperated his condition, he'd shown symptoms of it 8 or so years before. Just 2 months short of 20 that would have allowed him a pension and medical and him to get that and a new job. He got %60 disability pay and would have lost that had he gotten another job. The marine corps shit on him in the end and he damn near ate a bullet over it. He's a classic example of a vet, shit on by his government. And no where nearly as bad as a lot of other vets. I guess it's because I grew up less than a mile from him, and hunted in the same woods as a child, and got to meet him before he died in 99 that I'm so passionate. He was nothing less than a true american hero that deserves to have his story told accuratly. And on that subject, his 2500 yard kill, he missed, he shot 18 inches over where the mans head was but got lucky because the man was squatting at the time, and after he pushed the butterfly, the man stood up.

Thank you for the update -- it has been a number of years since I read about him. I wonder why the Corps did him that way, is it because snipers were held in such low esteem back then? The popularity of snipers today (on this board, etc) is a relatively recent occurence - they have been looked-down on for a long time by other soldiers.

If I recall correctly, he took days analyzing wind patterns, etc, before making that 2500 yard shot (which was with an anti-aircraft gun, if I recall correctly). This was before the 50 caliber was a popular sniper platform, so he was a trailblazer in that regard as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:13:01 PM EDT
He used a ma deuce Heavy machine gun. Cyclic rate on it is slow enough to allow for single shots. The guy was actually standing on the SPOT where he'd zero'd the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:29:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Very cool, thanks for clearing the air of any discrepancies

In the book Marine Sniper, the author makes it appear that Hathcock doesn't think too highly of the Army snipers, due to the fact that they were dropped and picked up by helicopters to and from their sniping positions. He tends to fall under the opinion that the U.S. Marines are better at stalking and sneaking their way in and out of position. Comments?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:31:24 PM EDT
Oh yeah one more thing too. The 2 day crawl in a ghillie suit to take out the nva general, was 3 days and he didn't have a ghillie suit. He did it in knee high grass with grass stuffed in his uniform. All the time avoiding patrols. It was also the only time he EVER took the white feather out of his hat. Long t'rand du kich, the white feather sniper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:38:53 PM EDT
And also had a bounty placed on his head by North Vietnam
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:41:42 PM EDT
Yeah, over 3 years average pay.
Top Top