Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2009 8:33:29 AM EDT
title sums it up. a buddy gave me a couple pounds of cube steak.
keep in mind that i cant make a pb&j with out screwing it up, but i'd like to
cook a halfway decent dinner outta this.
any tips from the arfcom experts?
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Cube steak? Pan fry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cube steak? Pan fry.

Yep. Salt and pepper.

Maybe fry some onions and peppers too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Chicken fried, or else make chili with it (with beans)
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Chicken fried

This
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
First place it on a rack on a plate in your fridge for half a day, this will let most of the blood drain out. This has made a big difference in getting my kids to eat deer/elk. Cook & season any way you desire, but only cook to med. rare at most otherwise you will have shoe leather (very low fat content). Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Pan fry it.

It's very lean meat, be careful not to overcook.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cube steak? Pan fry.

big +1

try laying down a base of sliced onions in the skillet with a little water and flour, let them carmelize while stirring in the meat.  we've even cooked up an old buck this way and you get no gamey or wild taste.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First place it on a rack on a plate in your fridge for half a day, this will let most of the blood drain out. This has made a big difference in getting my kids to eat deer/elk. Cook & season any way you desire, but only cook to med. rare at most otherwise you will have shoe leather (very low fat content). Enjoy

Another trick is to soak it in milk overnight. Gets rid of the gamey taste. I like the way venison tastes, but some don't
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Put some flour on a plate.  Season the flour with salt & pepper or your favorite seasoning salt-type stuff.  Mix.  Cover steak with a light but complete coating of flour mixture before frying in a pan with a small amount of  bacon grease, lard, shortening or oil.

Medium to medium-well is probably best.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
When I glanced at the title I read ' venison TUBE  steak, how do i want to cook it?'. I was thinking that we usually threw that part away...

How old was the buck. Young could be good fried, and it's hard to go wring with carmelized onions. Older buck I'd braise or use in chili/stew.

BSW
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Sprinkle with Cajun Seasoning. Dip in flour to coat. Fry it on med-hi to brown then turn it down to med low cover and let it cook slowly to make it more tender. My MIL cooks it low and slow for about 20-25 minutes. mmm mmm good and tender!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top