Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 2:14:43 PM EDT
looking at a used truck.  When the passenger airbag is turned on, the passenger airbag's OFF light (right beside the passenger sides airbag switch) is not lit.  so thats good right?  but in this condition, the drivers console AIRBAG light wont go off.

If you switch the passenger airbag off, its OFF light comes on, and the driver's console's AIRBAG light goes off.

This seems counterintuitive to me...

Now, the truck may have been in a wreck; I noticed a primer spot under the hood where the rest of that area was blue, so it appears the truck was painted at some point.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It makes sense to me.

Dash one is a fault light, you have a fault since an airbag is turned off

My ranger doesn't have a dash light but it does have a switchable passenger airbag that has the light turn on when it is off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It makes sense to me.
My ranger doesn't have a dash light but it does have a switchable passenger airbag that has the light turn on when it is off.
View Quote

Yup.
When you turn the passenger bag on, it creates a fault in the system.
It's possible that if the truck was wrecked, one of the bags was deployed but not replaced.  Who knows, electronics are kinda funny like that.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
looking at a used truck.  When the passenger airbag is turned on, the passenger airbag's OFF light (right beside the passenger sides airbag switch) is not lit.  so thats good right?  but in this condition, the drivers console AIRBAG light wont go off.

If you switch the passenger airbag off, its OFF light comes on, and the driver's console's AIRBAG light goes off.

This seems counterintuitive to me...

Now, the truck may have been in a wreck; I noticed a primer spot under the hood where the rest of that area was blue, so it appears the truck was painted at some point.
View Quote

I wouldn't trust it. I can turn the passenger airbag on and off in my Toyota and that will not throw a fault light, because there is no fault, you simply turned it off. I had a buddy who bought a used truck and we were in a pretty big crash. Rear ended someone at a stop, we were doing 55. (Wreck in front of us). Regardless, our airbags did not go off, and we tagged the guy in front of us hard. We were all ok, but it turns out there were never any airbags in the truck. They were removed/stolen by someone at the dealership when purchased (Vehicle was used). there is a black market for these things, they can go for a couple grand each. I would have a trustworthy mechanic look at it. Someone who would specialize in vehicle electronics or safety devices. Not something to guess on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a Ford,probably. The indicator bulb in the pass airbag deac switch is burned out.Wont set a failure code(or light the DIC light) unless you turn it to "off" position which SHOULD illuminate the bulb next to the switch. Replaced tons of em,(the switch assy)no harm no foul.Now the clockspring on the other hand !
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of times the guys cleaning them take the seats out too and if they unplug the harness under the seat without unhooking the battery it can trip the light.  Seen that a ton. Also if they break the connector under the seat or simply forgot to plug it back in.

Or what the guy above me said. Personally I've seen more clock springs then bulbs but I wasn't a mechanic and that was German cars.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup.

It's possible that if the truck was wrecked, one of the bags was deployed but not replaced.  Who knows, electronics are kinda funny like that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It makes sense to me.

Yup.

is it just me?  because you 2 guys' statements seem to conflict with each other.  It just seems to me that disabling the passenger airbag should be what triggers the fault, not ENabling it.

Quoted:
Have a mechanic look at it.  You need to know what you are doing to prevent blowing them when taking apart to inspect.

I'm guessing it was in a light wreck, but the driver's airbag blew (passenger shouldn't blow if nobody is in seat, --ETA:  In cars), it was replaced, but the clockspring (connector to Airbag in steering wheel) wasn't replaced as well.   Not an easy thing to get to at all if you haven't done it before.

Other thing to check is curtain airbags.  Has the light been on since you bought it, or has it only come on recently?

--ETA:  The "AIRBAG OFF" for passenger should light up when switch is in off position, if not, the airbag computer sees something wrong, which would light up the Airbag warning light on the dash.

havent bought it just yet, jury is still out.   its a 2003 with only 70K miles, which seems unbelievable, and i suspect he may have been able to roll the odometer back (hes an automotive tech) but I did poke around in the glovebox and found the bill of sale (along with his DUI paperwork) where he bought it  used from the dealership that he works for and last year it had 50k miles on it then

Yesterday I took it to autozone and they put 2 different computers on it. no codes. By then I had cranked it a couple of times hoping to coerce the ecu into spitting out anything it had.

Jury is still out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top