Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 5:08:29 PM EST
Gotta be Maserati.  Compare a 5 year old Quattroporte (sp?) vs a BMW 750 or Mercedes S550 with similiar mileage.

Lincoln is bad too as are the Korean made cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:09:29 PM EST
landrover..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:49 PM EST
Does anyone really care on a Korean car though? Cheap in, cheap out, drive the wheels off in between.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:12:01 PM EST
Luxury cars take the biggest hit. Out of regular cars I'd say KIA and Hyundai.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:20:32 PM EST
I always steer people toward Kia and Hyundai if they are looking for a pretty decent used car, thats cheap. 
Both of my parents have them.  they buy em 2 years old for half price and run them pretty much trouble free till about 150000 miles then dump em to a high school kid.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:21:27 PM EST
Lamborghini?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:22:19 PM EST
Luxury brands.

And jeep / Chrysler.

look at darts and 200's . talk about a lead weight.

Subaru, Toyota seem to hold the best. Maybe honda
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:22:54 PM EST
Dodge anything. But that is usually because they all become "mechanics specials" LOL
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:24:45 PM EST
I've always heard it was Bentley. That may be urban legend however.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:26:21 PM EST
Cadillac
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:29:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By primuspilum:
Gotta be Maserati.  Compare a 5 year old Quattroporte (sp?) vs a BMW 750 or Mercedes S550 with similiar mileage.

View Quote

Mercedes

Get rekt, AMG owners.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:54:31 PM EST
I've been doing a lot of research, so I'll give you the Best:

Toyota Taco- Some poor bastard will pay you more for it after 9 years and 120,000 hard miles, than you paid for it today.

Jeep Wrangler- Same thing. God knows why. Jeeps have always had a following, but the fad has reached Beenie Babies proportions.

Toyota RAV4- some even call them the "Taco Rav4" just to highlight and accentuate the supreme value inherent in their ownership.

Subarus, apparently. Especially the Outback. The LBGTGQ community is getting stronger and more prosperous by the minute.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:57:32 PM EST
If you see it as a rental car or highly incentived lease it will be cheap used, at least at that trim level.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:58:31 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
landrover..
View Quote
Most dealers here won't even take them on trade.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:58:44 PM EST
European luxury brands are the worst followed by the Korean brands and Chrysler products that aren't Wranglers or Cummins powered.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:08:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By cryo_tech:
Luxury brands.

And jeep / Chrysler.

View Quote
Actual jeeps retain their value like a motherfucker
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:09:34 PM EST
BMW/Mercedes
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:13:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By TRON0129:
Cadillac
View Quote
The Bro Hams.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:16:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

Actual jeeps retain their value like a motherfucker
View Quote
Which is kind of a mind fuck when you take into account that '70s AMC build quality was never considered good, even at that time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By McGuy:

Does anyone really care on a Korean car though? Cheap in, cheap out, drive the wheels off in between.
View Quote
It makes them a real good buy in the used market.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:20:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Toyota Taco- Some poor bastard will pay you more for it after 9 years and 120,000 hard miles, than you paid for it today.

Jeep Wrangler- Same thing. God knows why. Jeeps have always had a following, but the fad has reached Beenie Babies proportions.

Toyota RAV4- some even call them the "Taco Rav4" just to highlight and accentuate the supreme value inherent in their ownership.

Subarus, apparently. Especially the Outback. The LBGTGQ community is getting stronger and more prosperous by the minute.
View Quote
Subaru has been growing their market share like crazy because they build extremely practical vehicles that are a good mix of tough and efficient.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:46 PM EST
You couldn't give me a jeep as I once had one, but I sure like my Hyundai Sonata.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:58 PM EST
AMG Merc is the very top to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:25:16 PM EST
Aston Martins can be had surprisingly affordably,then the value plateaus where suckers who can't really afford to maintain them park them in hopes of reaching collector status

Kias losing a huge chunk isn't that big of a deal considering that a decade ago even nobody would expect a 5 year old one to be running,let alone have much value. On the other hand,Mercedes used to have rock solid resale but then again an old 300 or even 190 was still a great car at 5-10 years old. Now you're a little nuts to take on that awesome coupé that dropped $100k in 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:25:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 6:26:35 PM EST by cryo_tech]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

Subaru has been growing their market share like crazy because they build extremely practical vehicles that are a good mix of tough and efficient.
View Quote
We are actually looking at an outback.

Its the most boring, uninspiring lame ass car Ive ever test driven. Its also comfortable, nice, has more space inside than a jeep grand cherokee, gets 28MPG (3.6) on the highway, and will go 90% of places a jeep cherokee will, and will go better in snow and foul weather. Its also 10K cheaper. The 2018 looks way better inside - and not so much like an 80s GPX boom box

Theyve had some issues in the past though. I wouldnt call them a pillar of reliability, but frankly, nothing else other than toyota comes close to the capability and reliability mix.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:25:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 6:29:49 PM EST by fxntime]

View Quote
Add the FJC, zero depreciation in 3 years.

One really need to look at specific models of brands. Ford trucks do OK, Ford base Focuses, no one wants them, even the dealers don't want them as trade in's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:26:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By Inalienable-Rights:
AMG Merc is the very top to me.
View Quote
Merc in general can be pretty bad. We have a gorgeous 2010 E550 4-matic on our lot. 110,000 miles, big V8, loaded, leather, super clean. $70,000 car in 2010. Worth about 15 grand.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:02:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By fxntime:

One really need to look at specific models of brands. Ford trucks do OK, Ford base Focuses, no one wants them, even the dealers don't want them as trade in's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't know why they can't build FJ's with a soft top/hardtop option
A Jeep substitute with reliability? It would storm the World like Tojo taking Manila.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:05:32 PM EST

I don't know why they can't build FJ's with a soft top/hardtop option
A Jeep substitute with reliability? It would storm the World like Tojo taking Manila.
View Quote
It would litterally be the Miata, all over again.

This time for off-road vehicles, instead of gay euro roadsters.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:51:10 PM EST
Luxury brands.

And jeep / Chrysler.

View Quote
Jeep Wrangler holds value better than almost anything else American made
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:53:44 PM EST
Diesel trucks dont.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:55:34 PM EST

View Quote

You can get 3 yo Ghiblis for about 50% off their sticker. I would have never paid 80+ for one but a S Q4 is tempting at 40.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:01:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

View Quote
This is true and it is the ONLY Chrysler product that holds its value.

Remember that the big 3 pay you to buy their cars (insane rebates for up to $10k and sometimes more). It's always cheaper to buy new and that kills resale on anything the big 3 make. I buy Toyota and it's very rare to get any rebates if any.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:17:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By LandKruiser:

Remember that the big 3 pay you to buy their cars (insane rebates for up to $10k and sometimes more). It's always cheaper to buy new and that kills resale on anything the big 3 make. I buy Toyota and it's very rare to get any rebates if any.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LandKruiser:

Dodge/Ram Cummins trucks do very well on resale. Gas trucks don't dive any more than Ford/GM does with gas engines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:17:15 PM EST

View Quote
That's only the Wrangler, and that's for almost entirely impractical reasons. The Wrangler has a cultural significance in America, and it's one of the only off-road toys on the market.

Jeep's other 5 models and the rest of the FCA product portfolio don't hold value worth a damn, and for good reason.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:20:11 PM EST

Dodge/Ram Cummins trucks do very well on resale. Gas trucks don't dive any more than Ford/GM does with gas engines.
View Quote
Diesel yes, gassers nope.

FCA pickups leave the lot at prices ~15-20% cheaper than comparably equipped Fords and GMs, and their value slides from there.

They are cheaper for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:22:37 PM EST
Luxury brands.

And jeep / Chrysler.

View Quote
Wranglers are excluded from this, wife put 50k on a 13 unlimited Rubicon we paid $34k for it, dealership we traded it in at gave us $32k 3 years later.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:26:54 PM EST

And jeep / Chrysler.
View Quote
]
Partially WRONG, BIG TIME.

The Jeep Wrangler has the BEST resale value of ANY automotive product, bar none. Even better than the best Japanese stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:28:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By AZJeff:
]

The Jeep Wrangler has the BEST resale value of ANY automotive product, bar none. Even better than the best Japanese stuff.
View All Quotes

And jeep / Chrysler.
]

The FJC still beats it PLUS it has the best reliability record of anything in it's price range.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:30:25 PM EST

FCA pickups leave the lot at prices ~15-20% cheaper than comparably equipped Fords and GMs, and their value slides from there.

View All Quotes

Having owned and driven a 94',98,01'06'16 model , I am inclined to say your assertion that there is a reason they are cheaper is fucked.

The only vehicle I ever had light on fire while I was driving it was a Ford F350 (twice)
The absolute worst fuel mileage (Including the 98 Dodge 1500 w/318) I have ever had in a pick up was a 2012 Chev 2500 6.0 gas.

The guy made a statement that said "Jeep".

I say that a Jeep Wrangler is a fucking Jeep, and as a result the statement "Jeep" is not only flawed but has an entire mouthful of dildos.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:31:55 PM EST
The FJC still beats it PLUS it has the best reliability record of anything in it's price range.
View All Quotes

And jeep / Chrysler.
]

Problem of course being that they sold like shit, so they discontinued them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:59:27 PM EST

View Quote
All they needed to do was design it with a coil sprung SFA and a removable top. That's it and it would have sold 2-3X's as many. It should have been more FJ40 because that is what pretty much everyone wanted.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:04:04 PM EST
All they needed to do was design it with a coil sprung SFA and a removable top. That's it and it would have sold 2-3X's as many. It should have been more FJ40 because that is what pretty much everyone wanted.
View All Quotes

A bloated body with poor visibility and styling that didn't age well didn't help.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:05:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 9:10:49 PM EST by ThunderStick]
]

View All Quotes

And jeep / Chrysler.
]

That's pure bullshit. The FJ Cruiser has the highest resale value. Toyota and Lexus models have seven of the top ten resale values.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:12:13 PM EST
View All Quotes

Could've, should've,would've.

Didn't.

You mean a coil sprung SFA like a Wrangler? Maybe add lockers, dis connectable sway bars and deep transfer case like a Rubicon and they would have sold?

Sales were poor, 2nd row access was poor making the door pointless, too heavy, expensive to repair when they broke, minimal aftermarket support. A Rubicon will go places that you will only get an FJC with a winch.

I like Toyota, I have had 3 and currently have one. I think the Rav4 is the best value in a small cross over on the market, the rest of the product line relies heavily on reputation and not real performance. The Tundra is a very nice 1/2 ton, but fuel mileage is dismal at best. The Tacoma has had more than it's share of problems aside from being suitable only to your average sized Jap they are decent trucks. The FRS is cool, grossly under powered but cool. Toyota largely rests on reputation and that only lasts so long.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:20:08 PM EST
Luxury brands.

And jeep / Chrysler.

View Quote
That's a negative on the Jeep Wrangler. Best value holder I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:22:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2017 9:28:37 PM EST by fxntime]

Could've, should've,would've.

Didn't.

You mean a coil sprung SFA like a Wrangler? Maybe add lockers, dis connectable sway bars and deep transfer case like a Rubicon and they would have sold?

Sales were poor, 2nd row access was poor making the door pointless, too heavy, expensive to repair when they broke, minimal aftermarket support. A Rubicon will go places that you will only get an FJC with a winch.

I like Toyota, I have had 3 and currently have one. I think the Rav4 is the best value in a small cross over on the market, the rest of the product line relies heavily on reputation and not real performance. The Tundra is a very nice 1/2 ton, but fuel mileage is dismal at best. The Tacoma has had more than it's share of problems aside from being suitable only to your average sized Jap they are decent trucks. The FRS is cool, grossly under powered but cool. Toyota largely rests on reputation and that only lasts so long.
View Quote
They were tanks compared to Jeeps, they held up VERY well in the real world and T/A's. Deep X fer cases are a bragging right and not much else UNLESS you rock crawl, a 2.72 to 1 is better then a 4 to 1 for almost everything else. They should have had a front locker option like the Rubi did, [and only the rubi] same for much of everything else, all the good stuff came on the Rubi [which I freely admit was a home run for jeep], not so for the rest of the jeep line to include the D44 axles.

FJC's had some teething issues but by the end, were pretty damn good.

I will 100% give Jeep one thing and that is an incredible accessory market and aftermarket. That and the fact they brought out the 4 door makes them pretty much untouchable. Sales were dropping on the two doors [which were 1000 times worse then the FJ 2 1/2 door setup] but the 4 door model really made sales explode and saved the lineup.

I will say I liked ALL my FJ40s better then my FJC, they were crude, rude tanks and claimed to be nothing else then that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:24:11 PM EST

View Quote

Italian cars have always been a labor of love.
There is nothing, like zero.point.zero, to love about Maserati. It's ironic that Ferrari kept them afloat when they were about to go down like the Titanic. 
It was Luca di Montezemolo's big practical joke on the auto world.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:29:56 PM EST

View Quote
No one believes me when I say I can get 25k all day long for mine (2012) if I wanted to get rid of it.

I get calls from dealers 12+ hours away asking if I want to sell about once a week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:30:40 PM EST
Goddamn Jeep guys trying to make every thread about them... this is supposed to be about the cars that cost so damn much to maintain that they essentially become valueless when they start requiring any sort of significant work done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top