Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/27/2006 4:22:44 PM EDT
Been picked to do some undercover work but not sure if i want to.
Prep time is about 5 days if i decide to do it.

Would they think bad of me if i turn it down? Could anyone with experience tell me alittle about undercover ops ( what type of person are you, what made you get into it, how easy is it to get into role? etc)

Hope someone can help,

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:26:38 PM EDT
If you have reservations about doing U/C go with your gut instincts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
Whe I did U/C work I always considered it to be acting so to speak. My first time I was brought into a community to buy crack and marijuana (mostly street level) so I had to look and talk the part. I grew a scruffy beard and wore a mechanic's uniform, completed with grease on the boots, face and hands. I was nervous the first couple days but once the dealers got to know me, the deals went easy.

I did insist on a two man back-up team that was close by and was monitering me via body bug.

It just depends on you, if your comfortable, do it. If not, you may make a mistake and I would advise not to do it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:28:43 PM EDT
It's really not that bad. Just make sure you know everything about the operational plan, particularly the SHTF options. I never acted in school...no plays, not even a church drama, but I found it shockingly easy to do UC work. Granted I didn't do the two year multi-state thing a DEA friend did, but a couple in&out drug buys were nothing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:15 PM EDT
I havent done any U/C work b/c i work in a small town and everyone knows all the officers. But my advice is if your not comfortable with it you might want to reconsider.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:49:07 PM EDT
I just came back to patrol after a 3 year U/C assignment. If you are not feeling comfortable with going into a U/C role, I highly recommend against it. Working U/C can be very interesting, time consuming, and dangerous. I highly recommend completing a U/C school, which is our department protocal, prior to taking on a U/C role, as it can assist in preparing you to go into a role, as well as giving insight into whether or not working U/C is for you or not.

If you do decide to take the assignment, insure that you will be well covered and the team you are working with has an adequate extraction type plan.

Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:41:28 PM EDT
What kind of UC stuff are you talking about???

Vice, dope, gangs, etc??
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:17:08 AM EDT
Thanks for the input, but after considering that i only have 5 days of prep time before im thrown into a 1 year UC op. i have decided against it.

Where is this UC school that you talk about? It could be something i could get the boss to send me to.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 6:26:07 AM EDT by fclark2]
Originally Posted By Stang1911:

Where is this UC school that you talk about? It could be something i could get the boss to send me to.

/quote]

In the State of Washington, a U/C school is sponsored by the Criminal Justice Training Commision and is generally put on by the Seattle Police Dept. I was under the impression that other states ran similar schools. Also, Heartland LE Training Group as well as Public Agency Training Council also offer U/C classes.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
There was a pretty good U/C school in PA a few yrs back. Forgot the name but your Trgn Off should know
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:20:24 AM EDT
There was a U.S. Customs undercover agent who met with George Bush 1 when he was president. The president asked him what exactly an undercover agent did, and the agent replied that it was the same principal as alligator hunting in Lousiana where they take a kid, tie a rope to him, and thrown him in the swamp to catch alligators, yanking him back ashore at the last minute.

Seriously, a year undercover, with no experience, and no training, is not the way I would have wanted to start out doing it. I always found it to be fun, but I don't think I would have if I had been thrown in without any training.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT
My unit (only 3 people) requires all of us to do some UC work each year. It is basically a type of monitoring activities only. I have been in this area for many years now and it is hard for me to do any unless I travel to other areas. I have one person in the unit that is very uncomfortable doing it because she says she hates telling lies!! Personally I really enjoy doing it. I usually get to prepare for mine and I end up looking like this:
Top Top