Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2011 5:00:40 AM EDT
so im about to go to europe for a week. i had plans to hang out with a chick but things fell through.

i decided to go anyways but have zero clue as to what im doing. im flying into dublin fror a short layover then to frankfurt. i figure il get a eurorail pass and bounce around for a week and then back to frankfurt, dublin for a night and then back to the states.

any tips? whats the easiest way to find hostels/hotels? i figure il just ask people when i get there cuz i really dont have an idea of where i will be yet.

im really nervous about this trip.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not have any real advice except to make sure your phone works over there and let your banks know your going if you plan on using any CCs.

Frankfurt station is cool - I took a train from Paris to there a few months ago.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
...head straight to Prague once you get to Frankfurt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The rail station is right at the airport, so you can walk from the gate, get your bags, and go right up to the trains. You shouldnt have a problem finding people in Frankfurt (or other big cities) that understand English. (of course, maybe you speak German)

If you have the time, travel by rail and see the whole country.
Lots of cool history....go to Berlin...Weimar...Dresden.
Want a more 'Western' type of vacation but still stay in East Germany?
Hit Munchen...sure, its Bavaria, but honestly, these days, its set up for tourism.
That said....its a really fun town.

Visit the Englisher Garten, go into the Church Frauenkirche (big church with two towers that can be seen throughout the Garten)...very cool old place.

For places to stay, just hit the internet here...get a rough idea of what cities you want to stay near...find a few places in each, write that down and take it with you. Call them all first (before you leave) and confirm things like typical availability, prices, etc. Of course, you can just boot it from here in advance, but that will lock you into an agenda when you get to Germany.

Enjoy your trip...You'll have a great time.
I'd love to travel back there alone and just do what I felt like doing....you are actuall experiencing (from my perspective) the best way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Something I learned years ago....

You can travel all over the world, but you have to go to Italy to Rome.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do not have any real advice except to make sure your phone works over there and let your banks know your going if you plan on using any CCs.

Frankfurt station is cool - I took a train from Paris to there a few months ago.

For what its worth, I didnt take a cell phone....I think it improved the experience.
There is something to be said for having communications capability...there is also something very surreal about being an American, who doesnt speak German, wandering around the Harz mountains, with no phone, no ability to speak with the locals...just a GPS, a topo-map, and a sense of adventure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
In Dublin Glasnevin Cemetary is cool. GPO is pretty cool also.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
thank you guys for the ideas. its crunch time as im flying out friday

im the type of person who takes stuff on and doesnt realize how big of a project it is untill its to late.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what its worth, I didnt take a cell phone....I think it improved the experience.

There is something to be said for having communications capability...there is also something very surreal about being an American, who doesnt speak German, wandering around the Harz mountains, with no phone, no ability to speak with the locals...just a GPS, a topo-map, and a sense of adventure.

Good Point. I was there for work so... for me
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]

OP, don't forget to check out the weekend markets. You might get a good deal on a shift key.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have an older phone that uses sim cards, unlocked, and is quad band (e.g. Motorola Razr) you can get an European SIM card when you land and have an european number, or better yet get an European number and use Google voice to forward calls to it so your family/friends stateside can call you free.  I got my unlocked recycled razr from BigLots, they were selling prepaid phones by H2O Wireless for $30-40 with a phone and a prepaid card with $10 on it, I just kept the phone since it was already unlocked and I needed a cheap unlocked quad band phone.

I was there for a 2 week stretch (Germany, France, and UK), Eurorail is super easy to get around, if you plan to going sightseeing look for a day pass where you can use all the public transportation for one price.  If you plan on meeting someone new maybe give youth hostels a try, those are normally dorm style living but you can typically meet single girls from all over, just make sure to pack light and keep your expensive stuff on your person since Hostels are typically small rooms and shared with folks you don't know.

If the time matches head over to Munich, rooms will be hard to come by but in Sept 17th it will be start of Octoberfest.  If you go to London its a 2.5-3 hr trail ride into Paris.  Where in Europe you go depends on your budget and likes, me personally I liked France and Germany better since the dollar isn't as weak (its still pretty damn weak) against the Euro as it is against the Pound.  If you are on a budget maybe look at eastern Europe, just beware some of them may not be on the Euro yet.

Just have fun, and watch your belongings (lots of pick pockets in heavily traveled tourist areas).

Edit:

Its MUCH cheaper to get rooms via Priceline to hotels in Europe than going through their own websites, I've gotten rooms 30% lower than their lowest advertised rates on their website, more beer $ for me!

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out "Europe through the back door" by Rick Steves as well as his other travel books.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hit Munchen...sure, its Bavaria, but honestly, these days, its set up for tourism.

Since when is Bavaria in East Germany?

Brain fart...
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Make sure to watch Hostel before you go
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when is Bavaria in East Germany?

Ok, technically its the south
Still a lot further east than the airport.

Brain fart...

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Watch out for petty theft etc if you end up in Amsterdam.

Any Arfcommer is welcom to my giuded tour of hookers and blow tour of Amsterdam (*disclaimer: I actually dont do the hookers and blow thingy so it would be quite boring )
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Frankfurt is a big airport but the train station right below it helps a lot.  Almost never had a problem finding someone who could speak passable English.  Berlin has the Beerbike, look it up, it's a bar that has several people peddle with a tour guide and a waitress serving beer as you go.  

Dublin is one of my all time favorite cities, it's full of tourists but a walk through Temple Bar is pretty neat.  Most importantly, Have fun!  There is a lot of different culture to take in over there and public transportation is very good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top