BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 1:31:19 PM EDT
i need to rent a trailer to haul some stuff

the uhaul website gives quotes for

class 1, class 2, or class 3

what's the difference between these?

i've just got a ball sticking through the hole in the bumper on my tacoma, which class is that?

do i need to buy a receiver hitch?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm[/url]

Your owners manual or the bumper itself should have the weight rating. Calling Uhaul customer service might be another way to get the info.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the one you pull your house with.[noclue]
[smoke]

The hitch on yer bumper should be a class 1, and is rated at only 250 pounds tongue load and about 750 total for the pulling weight. Its pretty easy to bend a bumper, but it depends entirely on what you are planning to haul. Is it a small, motorcycle type trailer? If so, your bumper might do the trick.

Class 3 hitches are mounted to the frame, usually underneath the rear bumper and hold about 500 lbs tongue, and a lot more trailer weight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A frame mounted class 3 hitch is always worth the few extra bucks. A bumper mounted ball would be either class 1 or 2 and will eventually bend your bumper. For around $100 you can get a class 3 reciever hitch, and about $25 more for a slide in hitch and 2" ball.
Beside the durability factor do you think a measly class 1 or 2 setup will be up to pulling your bug-out trailer when TSHTF? [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top