Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/8/2003 12:31:19 PM EST
i need to rent a trailer to haul some stuff the uhaul website gives quotes for class 1, class 2, or class 3 what's the difference between these? i've just got a ball sticking through the hole in the bumper on my tacoma, which class is that? do i need to buy a receiver hitch?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:36:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 12:37:34 PM EST by Axel]
[url]http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm[/url] Your owners manual or the bumper itself should have the weight rating. Calling Uhaul customer service might be another way to get the info.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:38:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 12:39:57 PM EST by AZ-K9]
Use the one you pull your house with.[noclue] [smoke] The hitch on yer bumper should be a class 1, and is rated at only 250 pounds tongue load and about 750 total for the pulling weight. Its pretty easy to bend a bumper, but it depends entirely on what you are planning to haul. Is it a small, motorcycle type trailer? If so, your bumper might do the trick. Class 3 hitches are mounted to the frame, usually underneath the rear bumper and hold about 500 lbs tongue, and a lot more trailer weight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:01:55 PM EST
A frame mounted class 3 hitch is always worth the few extra bucks. A bumper mounted ball would be either class 1 or 2 and will eventually bend your bumper. For around $100 you can get a class 3 reciever hitch, and about $25 more for a slide in hitch and 2" ball. Beside the durability factor do you think a measly class 1 or 2 setup will be up to pulling your bug-out trailer when TSHTF? [;)]
Top Top