Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 5:27:05 AM EDT
So here's the story, yesterday as I was leaving the Diamondbacks game I got a ticket for entering the freeway at a HOV entrance ramp when I was by myself.  This is an entrance ramp I always use as I am always driving with someone in my car.  It has become second nature for me to use this ramp. Anyway I got this ticket for $345. and another one for $180. for no seat belt.  This is after spending about $100. at the D-backs game. My question is this...Does anyone have any advice on how to at least lower the ammount of the ticket? I simply can't afford to pay it in the next month.

-CK
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
$525???????????????????????????????????

is this public safety or revenue enhancement?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a spare AR15 to sell?  [;D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Watch your team on TV next time...
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
What always works here in MA is to appeal it. Even if you know you were wrong, you go to speak to the clerk magistrate, and they knock it down by half. It should have the procedure spelled out on the back of the citation. This gives you time to get the cash together also.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Show up in court on the date listed on the ticket, and ask for a continuance. When it finally goes to trial and the commissioner finds you guilty he will ask if you can pay today or need some time. Tell him you are broke and need time to raise the cash.

At least thast way you will have a couple months to rasie the funds.

I regularly see traffic tickets stretched out for 3 months or more.

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
cck, in fighting a traffic tickets, it depends an how much of a fighter you are. It will definitely cost you more in time than just signing the waiver and most likely will cost more money also. They know this when they set the amount of fines. They entice you to take the road of least hassle: waive your court appearance, plead guilty, pay the fine and get on with your life. All this without regard to principles. There are law groups out there that can help you but they cost money and time also.

Some of the down the road advantages for fighting a ticket are less increases in auto insurance rates, less likelihood of being charged with the repeat offender claim, and certainly a cleaner record for employment checks et al.

So you have to decide just how much you want to pay for principles.  If you decide to fight, be prepared to spend time at the law library. There may not be any silver bullets to quickly settle this case. Be prepared to do what ever it takes to suceed. And what that encompasses will be determined once you get into it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but a wise man counts the cost before going into battle, whether he has the means to fight the battle. The worst thing you can do is to make a half-hearted attempt at defending yourself and perhaps, if the case goes high enough, set a precedent for others to loose by. But if you're going to fight for principles, the cost will be well worth the price, especially in the long run.

So you decide. Let me know, I may be able to furnish you with helpful information.

Are you an LEO?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top