Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:50:47 PM EDT

I picked this thing up used. It's a mini tube amp, power ranges from .1 to .5 watt. It was kind of expensive at $285, and I'll probably sell it off soon, but it's pretty fun and entertaining. It can drive a cab with 4 12" speakers.

I've been looking around for a tiny tube amp that I can crank in my apartment without driving the neighbors nuts. This definitly does it ... it sounds like a cranked tube amp (because that's what it is!) but is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation with someone while it's at full volume.

The only reason I'm going to get rid of it is because it's so low powered that it's impossible to get a clean sound out of it at all (at least one that you can hear).

I'm going to pick up another mini tube head but this time about 2-6 watts as soon as I find one used. (I never buy gear new since you take such a hit when you get rid of it).

here's the guy who makes them: www.zvexamps.com

I'd post a clip of it, but I don't have any microphones to record it with.

Here's the demo video from the guy that makes it:

media.zvex.com/nano.mov

and here's a cool demo of a studio guy getting great sounds out of one

www.prosoundcommunications.com/engl...chael_thompson/

be sure to check that one out ... click the link down at the bottom "Extra: Zvex NanoHead and AC/RC"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll stick with my Mesas... Cool toy though
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'll stick with my Mesas...

and you won't play with them cranked if you live in an apartment building ... at least not without pissing off the neighbors

Cool toy though

yep.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
$285!!!

damn...you could make it for $20
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$285!!!

... yeah I know. I wanted to hear what they sound like. I researched a bit and saw used ones selling on ebay for $300+ then kept my eyes peeled for one used on music message boards. I should be able to get all of my money back even after ebay fees.

you think so? $20 sounds a little low

I've been planning on getting one of those homebrew amp kits and trying my hand at putting it together. This place has some interesting plans: www.ax84.com

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]

you think so? $20 sounds a little low

I've been planning on getting one of those homebrew amp kits and trying my hand at putting it together. This place has some interesting plans: www.ax84.com

I dunno...just guessing. Maybe if you sourced some used tubes. Hell, you dont want those new Japanese tubes anyways, do you?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm definitely going to check out his stuff.   Just so happens there's a dealer within 5 miles of my house.

If he's sourcing obsolete tubes and caps he's paying quite a bit more than you'd think for parts.   American labor is expensive too, but I don't mind paying for quality.  2nd hand suits me just fine.  

I've been using an Ampeg V-4B bass head through a 4 12 cabinet, circa early 70s.    I'm liking the idea of low volume cranked sound.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool...  I'm in the process of making my own tube amp.  You won't make one for $20.  Just the tubes and sockets are more than that.

The amp I'm building uses two El34 tubes (same as Marshal amps) in the output section.  This will give 50 watts out power.  I don't live in an apartment so low power is not an issue except for hearing preservation.  I like the idea of a 15 watt or less amp.  That may have to be the next project to kep me off the streets at night.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's a bunch of stuff coming out of China where tubes are still state-of-the-art. There's this guy on e-bay that does a lot of tube audio amplifiers some of which are pretty small.

search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ50QQsassZ18audioguy

interesting ... that's home stereo stuff right? Have you heard any of it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a lot of expense for nothing - Why not just overdrive an ordinary tube amp through a resistive attenuator to reduce the volume? 10 bucks worth of power resistors should get you any volume level you want, using any tube amp you want...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My Marshall stereo combo sounds as good at 1 as it does on 11...the thing has amazing crunch and distortion at ridiculously low volume.  I'm sure the Quadraverb helps a little, but still.  Of course, it's a WHOLE lot bigger than that thing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top