Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2013 5:02:41 PM EDT
Im trying to install a trailer hitch (curt 13333) but I don't have all the mounting hardware.

On the instructions for install it lists a part called a ".250x1.50x3.00 square hole spacer" which functions as a washer for a carriage bolt and prevents its rotation.

Is there another name for such a part? Im trying to hit up the local hardware store to get the parts im missing.  Ive Searched for square carriage bolt washers with no success.

I surmise the washer needs to be rectangular to prevent the rotation of the bolt inside the bumper.  I hope I dont have to fab these parts.

I already tried contacting curt and they said I could buy the hardware from their distributor at $30 shipped.  Ive got to be able to do better than that.

The installation instructions are found at:www.curtmfg.com/sheet/13333

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:05:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:07:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:14:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 5:32:53 PM EDT by BoxofRox]
The washer hole can be round, just make sure it's not too thick and keeps the carriage part from reaching the solid piece of steel where there is a square hole. That square holed washer isn't going to keep that bolt from rotating. Unless I'm completely missing something here. But why does the washer need to be used at all? Carriage bolt heads usually have enough surface area to do the job. Pics would help.

ETA: Now that I think about it, a square outer shaped washer up against a perpindicular piece of steel would keep the bolt from rotating, is this what you're working with?

ETAA: Okay I just looked at your instructions, those look pretty specific to the job. I would guess they butt up against each other and they are eachothers stop so neither bolt rotates. So the bolt spacing and washer size are correlated. Looks like you need those specific ones.

I'm all over the place here, now I see they give the dimensions. Shouldn't be too hard to find those pieces.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:26:03 PM EDT
Get a fender washer and a dremel to make the square inner hole and a hacksaw for the square outside which would have the carriage bolt act as a keeper for only the nut to spin.   There must be a clearance issue with the install or they are just trying to mess with you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:29:39 PM EDT
Get regular fender washers and a square drill bit. And go to town.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:31 PM EDT
Fender washers aren't 1/4 inch thick, better start with a piece of plate then go ahead and use your square drill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:34:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:56:56 PM EDT
Try Mcmaster.com
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:57:37 PM EDT
Simple:  Don't use carriage bolts, at best they might be Grade 5, worse, they're probably POS Grade 2.

For hitch work, don't use anything less than Grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers.  Do it right, do it once, drive it forever.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:58:09 PM EDT
Ask a carpenter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:19:04 PM EDT
Throw away the instructions.


Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:25:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Try Fastenal--they have oddball stuff like that.  

But never in stock when you need it .
Top Top