Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2016 2:39:12 PM EDT
Ok folks here's the scoop

I'm going to be 47 next month, I'm 5'10" and yup 275-280 lbs.
I have had 2 surgeries on my left knee one on right shoulder and recently left bicep tendon.
borderline cholesterol, average BP, family history of heart issues.
running is not going to happen, not as of yet anyway. Maybe once weight comes down, but yeah not in current condition.

Wife, diabetic avg cholesterol, and BP, she is 46 . Bad back/ disc issues.

Back in my teens to 20's I used to go to the gym quit often. Started lifting and enjoyed it, did more or less a body builders type of routine. Then transitioned to enjoying powerlifting, did small local contests at gyms within 4 hour drive. Really liked the hard heavy workouts, that was then....

Well looking for a good form of exercise, no local gyms so that is out. Closest gym has basically hours for at home parents while kids are in school. Closed when I leave for work, and closed after. Other gyms are 35-40 minutes away, that's one way...plus not into dealing with gym Nazis, no patience to deal with know it all's.

looking for low impact good cardio workout and think the following is my best 2 options.

Decided that a treadmill or something like the bowflex max trainer might be the ticket. I am looking in the $1000-1200 range. I have looked at treadmills from norditrack, and sole from dicks.  
This will be used by the wife and I, as we both would benefit from it.
Any input as to treadmill vs stepper and norditrack vs sole are greatly appreciated. Any other things I should look at WITHIN the 1-1200 price range..

I am at this point in life looking to lose some weight, will help with bad knees etc. . But Honestly not trying to go all off deep end Mr fitness pro..
just want to gradually get down to the 225 range, and get a good cardio workout.
Yes I know diet is a good part of the problem, but one step at a time...

Thank you in advance,
Snert..
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Diet IS the problem

but since that isn't what you asked

go for a walk.  
pull or push a sled
high volume kettlebell swings are a brutal metabolic hit with zero pressure on your knees.
jump rope

fat people shouldn't run.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Bowflex max trainer is a good machine. I do my AM cardio on it. I can bun around 250ish calories in 14min of HIIT. Incorporate that with some good weight training and you're on your way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
thinking of the bow flex max trainer, looks to be more compact space saving. The wife says if it is in the den or living room she wont use it. if its in our bedroom she can use it in privacy and be comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say a road bike, about as low impact as you can get, unless you crash of course.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought about a bike, plenty of roads to ride. But the treadmill/stepper can be used no matter the weather conditions. By skipping a day or two due to weather will break the cycle of doing a daily exercise.

And the idiots driving the roads by me, you are taking BIG risk of getting hit by a car.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
First I would personally download MyFitnessPal and get a good handle on calories.  

Then I would buy a used weight bench and some weights off Craigslist and do a basic beginners program 5 x 5/stonglifts, etc

For the first 3-6 months wouldn't even worry about cardio just diets and weights.  If you can build/retain muscle mass efficiently it will help keep the fat off permanently.

If you are dead set on cardio get either a rower or stationary bike.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a Yowza Delray treadmill for the wife (she only walks) ....seems pretty good so far and has a decent warranty.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thinking of the bow flex max trainer, looks to be more compact space saving. The wife says if it is in the den or living room she wont use it. if its in our bedroom she can use it in privacy and be comfortable.
View Quote

Out of sight, out of mind.

If it's tucked away in a bedroom or spare room, it's going to take dedication to keep using it. If it's not right where you're going to be anyway, it'll most likely just wind up collecting dust.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
treadmill or stationary bike (airdyne is good). Both are low impact. Steppers are good but could probably be harder on your knees IMHO. Also, as others have mentioned diet is 100x more important, exercise can be largely a waste of time if you don't change the eating habits that got you to this point. It's easier to just not eat a mcdouble than it is to spend 3 workouts on a treadmill to burn it off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Right now weights are not going to work, Currently recouping from distal bicep tendon reconstruction.

think the stepper though a good idea, the knees might be a issue. The treadmill or stationary bike might be the ticket for starters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Stop eating like shit and you won't even have to workout if you don't want to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top