Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/1/2002 2:47:23 PM EST
is it true that it is very hard to break your elbow? or harder to break than your hand?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:26:21 PM EST
I'm pretty sure that elbows are harder to break than your hands. Since your elbow is just one bone instead of many bones and tendons like your hands, it's more rigid. Hope this answers your questions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:42:51 AM EST
Not only are elbows less likely to be damaged in a fight as a result of striking a blow, but they offer a much more effective strike than with a fist. A properly thrown elbow strike can be a very effective technique. I love the knee strikes too. Guess that's why I love the Jeet Kune Do system of fighting so much. Great stuff that's simple to learn and effective
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 3:27:08 AM EST
you can deal some wicked damage with elbows but at that point you're pretty in close.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:23:12 PM EST
You hand contains some of the smallr bones in your body. Grappling arts, such a Judo, will teach you to throw palm strikes as opposed to closed fist strikes, due to the fact that if you break your hand you won't be able to grap. If you can't grab, you won't be able to grapple. The FLEXED elbow is a thicker bone and less prone to break. This is to diferentiate from the elbow joint which may easily be hyperextended and broken. The same can be said about the knee. When throwing an elbow strike, rememer that it should be done with the tip of the elbow, in a cutting motion, as opposed to a crashing/pushing forearm shot seen in professional wrestling. Just as you want to punch with the first 2 knuckles to concetrate you power into a smaller area, you don't want to disperse the power of an elbow strike throughout the entire forearm.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:11:57 PM EST
Wise words indeed. I would also note that the elbow can be used as a defensive tactic against closed fisted strikes to the upper body. A rased elbow, with the hands cupping the back of the head, will shatter someones hand, while providing a defensive cover to counter attack from. _FS
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:15:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Full_Spectrum: Wise words indeed. I would also note that the elbow can be used as a defensive tactic against closed fisted strikes to the upper body. A rased elbow, with the hands cupping the back of the head, will shatter someones hand, while providing a defensive cover to counter attack from. _FS
View Quote
In Filipino Kali, it's known as "Dirty Boxing." It works quite well here as long as the ref doen't see you doing it all the time. [;)]
Top Top