Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 4:12:28 PM EDT

i know of a situation where a woman is going though a divorce becasue her husband, who is a muslim, expects the wife to be subservient.

as it was described to me, the divorce is going on now, but the couple is keeping up appearances for the next few months so that he can get his green card.

i found this line of thinking rather irritating...that someone would take citizenship so lightly as to help another circumvent the system. the guy is apprently from a rather wealthy family in egypt, so i suspect he could live comfortably on his own.

anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn their a$$e$ in. It is way past time for letting people take advantage of American citizenship.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Blow the whistle immediately!

RUN, don't walk to the phone and call I.N.S.

Do not let this man become a citizen,or at least make it as difficult as possible.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Like anything else similar, it cheapens the process/result for legitemate immigrants like me.
I have a "green card" by marriage. I moved here out of love for my wife. I will stay here out of love for this country.
I cant wait to become a citizen and be able to vote. I was always a part of the political process in Canada. It kills me not being able to vote here in my new home.
I will take the oath as soon as possible.
Did you know, that on the form I will have to sign, there is question that says: "Would you be willing to take up arms in defence of this country?"
That quote may not be exact but thats what it says. Guess what my answer will be.
Guess what that Muslim guy's answer will be.
Guess who will be sincere.
BP

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
To clarify things, getting a green card does not mean automatic citizenship. A green card holder needs to wait another 3-5 years before he/she can apply for citizenship, depending on circumstance.  I'm guessing that the women is a US citizen?  Does she know that she has to remain married to this fool for at least another year, maybe more, AFTER he get's a green card?  More than likely, she being payed to do this - call the INS and see what they think.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, it's a green card not US citizenship.

I have worked with a few people who have had to deal with the INS for green cards, work permits, etc.  If they only have to stay together another few months, that probably means he's 3/4 of the way through the application process.  It would be foolish for him to throw this opportunity away and restart the 2+ year process of getting a green card.

It also doesn't sound like eurotrash has enough information to go to the INS with, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is why a “sham marriage” is so popular among those who wish to live legally in the USA.

The first step is to obtain a immigrant visa number.

(begin copy/paste from INS website)

[b}Who is Eligible?[/b]

People who want to become immigrants are divided into categories based on a preference system. The [b]immediate relatives of U.S. citizens[/b], which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the application filed for them is approved by the INS. An immigrant visa number will be immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for a visa to become available according to the following preferences:

First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, and the unmarried sons and daughters (regardless of age) of lawful permanent residents and their children.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.

(end of copy/paste from INS website)

As you can see, being the spouse of a US citizen moves you to the head of the line.

Of course the vast majority of US citizen/alien marriages are legit, and giving them preference is the right thing to do. See captainpooby above.

To falsely claim this preference is a federal crime, and the INS will investigate.

Remember, you do not have to prove that a crime is occurring.  You just have to decide if it’s your civic duty to report your suspicions.

Also - Mohammed Atta was the sun of a “rather wealthy family in egypt”.

Tough decision when you know the people involved. Good luck.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
This whole thing since 9/11 REALLY pisses off legitemate immigrants like me.
I WANT, really hard to be an AMERICAN. I dont want to suck from the teat of America.
I came from Canada, not a bad country in its own right.I had it pretty good there.
The United States is better. I want very much to a part of it.This country is even MORE free than mine.That really says something.
These loser people who want to cheat the system
(you know who they are) wreck it for people like me. Who want to be a part of it.Who want to contribute. Not just be "American" in name only, but not in heart.
I want to be here AND BE A PART OF THIS COUNTRY!!!
F**k those that dont.
Billy Porter

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top