Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2005 6:25:00 PM EDT
i was up for about 30 hours (work-related), got about 2 hours this afternoon and now cannot sleep...again...you'd think i'd be so damn tired i would sleep, but i can't.

this has been a particularly bad couple of weeks of too few hours of sleep.

i have tried ambien, and did not like it...antihistamines work but i feel lousy the nexy day...and i have tried every remedy out there.

i am about to check into a sleep clinic- has anyone had any experience with this? this is very frustrating and i am so tired!!

help!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:25:55 PM EDT
Wild Turkey 101
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:28:32 PM EDT
Stress, or just physical problem?

Maybe you could try melatonin. It's the chemical the brain makes to induce sleep so there are no bad side effects or anything.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:30:58 PM EDT
exercise helps
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:31:24 PM EDT
Trazadone need a Rx.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 6:41:54 PM EDT by twonami]
duh
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
Welcome to the wonderful world of alcohol induced sleep
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:40:19 PM EDT
I like ambien so it's too bad it doesn't work for you. Out of curiousity why didn't you like it?

I've also used melatonin but it doesn't seem to make me sleepy just gives me deeper sleep once I get there. The one side effect/benefit through is that it gives me increedibly vivid dreams....the downside being that most of those dreams are fairly violent. Quite strange really.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:42:01 PM EDT
You have no routine sleep pattern..........you need to go to sleep and get up at roughly the same time each day......your body is just confused........nothing like killing yourself over a paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:49:20 PM EDT
ambien gave me nightmares...

alcohol - unless i get bombed, a glass of wine or a shot of whiskey does not do it for me either.

melatonin did nothing...

i did see some "psychopharmacologist" who said i was clinically depressed and needed antidepressants.

i am not exactly unhappy - some things in my personal life that are not the way i want them at the moment, but i really do not have anything to complain about.

i just cannot seem to rest my brain...it is even difficult for me to just sit and watch a movie - i end up having to read a book at the same time or i end up getting off the couch and clean something...just can't seem to rest at all...

what is the actual med in trazadone??
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:49:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 6:52:48 PM EDT by AtLarge]
Melatonin. All natural and no hangover.

Doh. Guess you tried that. Maybe just need to increase the dosage? I feel for you. Sleep deprivation sucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 7:27:08 PM EDT by sysop]
After working in the IT world for quite some time I have experienced this on a number of occasions as have many of my colleagues.

If it is at all possible take a few days off.

When I get this way I go to a Lodge (I don't generally camp anymore but if camping is your thing do that) on the Mogilon Rim north of Clints Well AZ. No pager, no cell phones, no laptops.

During the days there I drive around on the logging roads and take short hikes. I avoid listening to news and watching TV. I usually bring a book, something light in content that I have already read at least once. I always bring a few guns and if the notion takes me I'll do some target practice. Well maybe target practice isn't exactly the correct term, shooting would be more like it.

If your sleep disorder continues after that. Then see a doctor.

The doctor will no doubt diagnose a sleep disorder and subscribe meds and a half a dozen or so follow up visits when all your really need is to press your reset button.

Just step out and let the world go about it's business without you for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:28 PM EDT
I used to get insomnia so bad, I dreaded going to sleep!!!! I would spend many hours trying too hard to sleep, only to doze off and have such fucked up terrifying dreams I didn't want to ever sleep again, which only amplified the insomnia. After a few weeks of this, I eventually slipped back into a sleep pattern, even though it wasn't restful sleep for quite a while. I can't think of much else that is as frustrating....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:25:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OZ309:
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/BPike309/feelingdown0fq.jpg

That's just fucked in the head...

<­BR>

...yet funny as hell!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:44:48 PM EDT
30 hours?

<­BR>

so how many sammiches did you make?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:46:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Minuteman419:
Trazadone need a Rx.

Danny

+2 and not an addictive RX
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:47:11 PM EDT
Ever heard of pill called Sonata? It works great for me. It is a prescrip though.

www.sonata.com

(Lots of fun when mixed with booze )
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:00:26 PM EDT
Trazadone... I had a side effect that would cause my nose to plug up. Can't sleep breathing through my mouth.

Cut ALL caffine from your diet? Some of the artificial sweetners in the diet drinks will keep some people from sleeping well.

I agree about taking a few days off if possible before the doctors. I have to keep regular sleeping hours or I'm all screwed up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 8:08:34 PM EDT by TheKill]
Cut all sugar and caffeine without fail.

When it's time for bed, start drinking. Shots of liquor will work if combined with a little relaxation. 1-3 shots in one hour while surfing ARFCOM makes me nice and sleepy......
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:08:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Welcome to the wonderful world of alcohol induced sleep

Exactly, when the brain is buzzing from long hours and stressful work...

Put it to bed with whiskey.

GM
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:39:13 AM EDT
well, can't exactly keep normal sleeping hours because i work one-two overnight shifts in addition to my day job (i am a veterinarian)

for example, i go into work today at 2 - 6, then to the emergency clinic from 7 to 8 the next day, then back to my clinic until 12 noon....

this has been going on for years...about 8 i would say...i did the no sugar/no caffeine thing for 8 weeks and did not really change things either

taking a few days off if kinda of tough right now - we are very busy at work and i am the only other full-timer besides my boss. but i realize i have to fix this, i just do not really know how to do it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:12:47 AM EDT
So what are you up all night turning over and over in your mind that keeps you awake?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:18:23 AM EDT
What ever you do, dont start a fight club!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:22:53 AM EDT
<---- Suffers from chronic insomnia.

This is a syndrome with which I am all too familiar. The ONLY thing that has ever helped me in the long term is physical exercise. If I am having trouble sleeping and am at home alone, I take the idiot fatass Yellow Lab for a walk. Does us both some good. I am usually asleep about 1 hour after I get back. If I'm not alone, well, I get the other kind of exercise: That's guaranteed to put me out after the "second cup."

When I'm walking the dog, I listen to music. Clears the mind of lots of static.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:24:38 AM EDT
smoke a joint and go to sleep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:41:55 PM EDT
5-HTP is your friend.

Google it. I posted a coupke weeks ago about it here. It has worked for me
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:10:17 AM EDT
read about 5-HTP and it looks like that may work..in theory of course! but i will give it a try, i;ve got nothing to lose..

catching up on sleep this weekend - actually slept very well last night.

planning on sleeping my sunday away with my new roomate...

i rescued a stray cat about a month ago that came to the emergency clinic as a hit-by-car...some good samaritan found him and brought him to us...

since no one was going to claim him by morning, he would have ended up at the pound on death row

so i took him to my clinic where he was recovering from a broken hip and unexplained anemia...i was talking about how he will be up for adoption etc, etc, but i knew in my heart he'd end up coming home with me.

and he could not be happier! he is a real sweetheart and it makes me feel good that i could help the poor little critter out.

i thought he would have a hard time getting up the stairs with his hip...but to my surprise, he scales them with no problem!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:34:33 AM EDT
Another fellow LIFELONG, SEVERE insomniac checking in.....I am not sure what to tell you except that there ARE some new sleep meds on the market...one is called Leptaprin ( or something!!! I can't remember!! ) and is suppossed to help you go to sleep quickly yet NOT be narcotic like ambien.

I am very sorry about your insomnia...I have suffered with it since I was about 5 or 6. I CAN highly reccommend strenuous exercise. The only time in my life I have ever been able to sleep regularly was as an Army Infantryman. Other than that......I usually look something like this: or this: or this: .

I have just learned to live with it......BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO.

Good luck to you!!!!
Top Top