Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2001 10:07:07 AM EDT
I just popped in a copy of "The Blair Witch Project"
and I watch the "babies attack" scene.That was some freaky stuff,alot of people said it was'nt as scary as they thought it would be,but it effected me quite a bit,I guess that's because I love camping.I am actually getting more afraid of people messing around at night,seeing if they could scare somebody by throwing crap at the tent and stuff.They might get ventilated.
I did get pissed when the girl kept screaming "Josh!!" I mean,why don't you just run off into the woods yelling "here I am!"
what wass up with thier flashlights? they had some weak ones,but ONLY at the end they decide to use the bright camera lights,I mean,why did'nt they use them before? and how could Josh leave the tent without waking the others? if somebody got dragged outta a tent by a ghost,they would be yelling obcenities of which the likes we have never heard of.During the "baby attack" Donna yells "get the camera,and the DEET ready" or some crap.It's really silly how they got lost.Why did'nt they just go back the way they came,instead of following Donna's poor navigation/map skillz?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
House on Haunted Hill

Weew.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The original "Exorcist" still freak me out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Clownes scare me they are to damn happy.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It freaked me out that the Blair Witch made ANY money.

TO be tolerable, a movie must be realistic within limits.

I am willing to suspend disbelief, for example, say in the movie there are vampires.  OK, if you cannot suspend your disbelief, the movie will suck, so you go with it.

What I CANNOT tolerate is the shit you just pointed out, people acting stupid and UNLIKE the way firghtened people would act.

Going into strange houses looking for someone when they know something's wrong and not turning on any lights, etc.

These are manipulative unrealistic tools to try to add to the suspense, but it's NOT SCARY if it can't happen to me.

ANother pet peeve I have about "scary" movies is that the directors these days, forthe most part, don't know what it means to frighten, only startle, and there is a huge difference.  I enjoy both, but startling is not scary.

The trick they ALL use now is somebody is looking for someone in a dark house, for example.  The music builds, she's opening doors, the music builds, then it crescendoes when she opens the last door, nothing, the music dies, then she turns and BOO it happens.

SUre, startles have their place in such movies, but it's not scary just because I got startled.

Haloween, the origional on.  THat f'd me up.      
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Loved "The Blair Witch Project" - ingenious concept, well acted and produced, but dude, that movie freaked me out too.  Even before I watched it, I wouldnt've dreamed of going camping with out a handgun.  Now, I won't go camping without a 16" AR with a couple of 30 rounders attatched to it (in addition to the handgun).

Mind you, some friends thought it was crap - but that was due to the fact that they're sort of dull.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the remake of house on hounted hill.Sorta "teenie pop" remake,but it was scary at times,mainly in the basement maze.
AR-rifle,yes the Exorcist is still the scariest movie ever made,to date.Seen the newer version? it has the infamous "spider walk" scene.Talk about freaky.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Seeing the Blair Witch in the movies was alot creepier than watching it at home.
Mimes really creep me out though, that and the waitresses at TGIF.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#9]
And another thing, as pointed out by Dolemite, how come nobody is capable of any kind of self protection.

We watched BWC with some friends who know some about my hobbies, they said at the first sign of trouble, "CITADELGRAD would sort this out IMMEDIATELY with some type of gun, wouldn't you?"

I'd like to see just one horro movie end with "Jason" or whoever blown out of his shoes by somebody with some common sense.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Any movie where a person is seen crawling on the ceiling.  Freaks me out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The Shining. Maybe I shouldn't have watched it as an 8year old. It is still creepy now that I'm old. As far as the Blair Witch Project, that was the biggest piece of crap I had ever seen. I didn't even get motion sickness. Maybe it's scary for college students who can't read a map or follow a stream, but us country folk just watched with our mouths agape.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any movie where a person is seen crawling on the ceiling.  Freaks me out.
View Quote

Like Exorcist III?  That movie freaked me out...especially the scene with the old lady crawling on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#13]
The crabwalk scene from the exorcist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Split Second.....with Rutger Hauer
"we need bigger guns"
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm probably close to a poster boy for all the "average young male has seen 1 million acts of violence depicted on scren by age blah blah"  and after all that I've seen on the screen the one that freaks me out and just won't go away is the end of Bonnie and Clyde (the old version or the new version) yeah they were murderers and they had it coming but something was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#16]
"The Others" looks like a pretty scary movie. I think that the period scary movies are always better than the ones set in modern time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
CITADELGRADE8, you have to remember, most movies are made by anti-gun types. That's why you seldom see a scene like when Indy blew away the guy with the sword in "Indiana Jones". If they had to many movies like that people might start to think owning a gun was a good thing. Nomad-FA2, I thought "Blair Witch" sucked also, but I did think the part where the people got lost was realistic.  There's lots of clowns out there who know nothing of the woods and will go hiking with the mentality that they are just taking a walk across a park.  They don't pay attention to where they are walking and sometimes they get lost. Then they panic and sometimes they die.  People get lost in the mountains east of where I live almost every year.

Just my .02  
Larry
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Carniees (carnival folk) Small hands & smell like cabbage...More of annoyance really.

Oh yea, the ceiling crawlers give me the willies as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Imbroglio kinda spooks me
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Come on, the medulla oblongata on those aliens has got to be [b]FRICKIN' HUGE[/b]!!! You should be able to point shoot those guys out to 25 meters (way easier than hitting Blair Witch 'ghost kids' I bet).  Sure they got skinny bodies and shit, but you could probably do a reverse failure drill on them and turn 'em off like a light switch no problemo.

PS:  Wasn't Whitley Strieber really just reliving being molested as a child in "Communion"?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#23]
that people paid to see the blair witch project.
i remember when it came out on video the blockbuster near me coudlnt even give em away they had so many copys left when they went to sell the previewed cophys no one wanted it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I know most people didn't like BWP but, I liked it. It was freaky, yea, alot of what they did and didn't do was stupid but, it was still freaky, the whole witch and ghost thing.

[b]Tonight going to see[/b]     [size=4][RED]THE OTHERS[/RED][/SIZE=4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#25]
ok...no one has said it yet so I will.

Anything with Rosie O'Donnell in it really freaks me out.

I have a very hard time explaining to the cops how another accidental discharge happened to go into my TV set...again.

The guys at Lowe's love me though...get a TV every month or so from them.

"only my bodyguards, me, & my friends can have guns." Tokyo Rosie, Inaugural Speech, 2002, Brady Bunch Center To Outlaw Violence (well, not really).

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Halloween did wonders for walking down dark gangways. Since we're differentiating thrilling/startling type movies from supernatural mindtwisters, the movies that really get the hair standing on the back of my neck are movies such as The Shining, Stir of Echoes, Burnt Offerings, The Haunting (orig. and remake), The Legend of Hell House(early 70's), and Night of the Living Dead.

The haunting type movies are interesting because places with such reputations exist and you can visit them. Taking the night tour of the Jack the Ripper sites has a certain level of creepiness to it.

One tool or feature I can stand are small yet deadly scuttling creatures. Anyone remember the little animated Tiki doll from what's the name of that movie?

--------------------------------------------------------

Big Bear, thanks! It was Trilogy of Terror. The little Tiki doll comes to life and starts running all over the place with its little knife. I hated that thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Wadman!  About 8 years ago I was in London and I took one of those "Jack the Ripper Walking Tours".  It was by far the best "touristy' thing I did in London...  Nothing like being in the exact same spot as the most notorius serial murderer in the world had been 100 years before, at night, with the fog creeping in slowly.  The tour guide also took us to a couple of pubs through out the evening which didn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Changeling and the Hearse  The lady that plays in both has a scary voice.  I mean stand the hairs up on the back of your neck scary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Ditto the clowns.

And flying monkeys...very creepy...

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#32]
yes...Speaking of "Communion"
I need some help guys.I few years back I saw this fake (very well done fake) home-video of a house being attacked by aliens.It's very well done,and it starts out filming a kids birthday.Lots of family members are there,and the house is in the woods.The power goes out,and the  two adult males go out to the breaker,and they see a bright light over the hill,they go  to it and there is a spaceship.They run back to the house,and they see one of them outside the front door.It just stands there,with it's big head and black eyes,and I swear it looked real.The two guys grab rifles and shotguns,and they  kill a bunch of the aliens as  they find ways into the cabin.I remember the two guys run outside eventually to kick some more ass,but then they don't come back,and the aunt and wife go outside,and they find the rifle and shotgun briken annd with barrels bent.I forgot what happened next,but it was SPOOKY.Anyone know where I could buy this video? it's the freakiest alien thing I've seen,home-video style.

*runs to pick up AR-15/TACM3,cradles while staring down dark hallway*
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I once dated a chick who told me she was so freaked out by "Blue Velvet" that she had to see a shrink! [rolleyes]

That "russian soldier decapitation" video kinda disturbed me. Wish I hadn't watched it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The scene in "Pet Sematary" When the little boy ran out in front of the truck and when the father gave the boy a shot towards the end and the little boy says "No fair, daddy, no fair"
Bothered me for a long time because I had a two year old son and lived right next door to a truckyard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I was born and lived in a small community with plenty of houses nearby until the second grade.  In 1974 we moved out to the country, where the nearest house was a half mile away.  Just so happens, [b][i]The Legend of Boggy Creek[/b][/i] came out soon after we moved out in the woods.  I can recall sleeping with one eye open for months.  I could hear his screams in my sleep.  Damn, that freaked me out as a kid.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Seven freaked me out. I kinda like movies with a disturbing ending.

Jacob's Ladder was freaky through the whole movie.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Jaws.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#38]
you guys got alot of the good ones.Unfortunately,most of the horror films being released nowadays are geared towards a teen audience.Except for a few,like "The Others" I think I'll go see that this weekend.Any good?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Nomad,

The early report was that it was just fair. Some parts were okay, others predictable.

What was Jacob's Ladder about? I missed that one.

BTW, from this thread, it seems a few guys like scary movies too.

------------------------------------------------------------

"Jaws"

So you combine two fears; water and man-eating creatures. Unless you work in the ocean professionally, how could you watch this movie and not be affected in some way. Murky water, no one nearby, you start thinking about what could be lurking beneath the benign looking waves... Oh yeah.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]
It has been said that of all the movies ever made, "JAWS" was the one to singly effect human behavior the most.

Other than that, I really think the Exorcist is so far in a league of it's own, there can be no comparison.
When that movie came out, there were heart attacks and miscarriages in theatres....
First time I saw it, I was 12 years old, by myself in the house, only the 2nd time I had ever been left alone for "overnight"...
So there I am, and this midnight movie comes on....
Looked kinda interesting...
Had no idea what it was.
By the time it was over, I was so fucking freaked, I had every electrical appliance going full blast for the rest of the night until dawn broke, when I finally passed out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I think "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is still one of the most bizarre and macabre tales ever told on film.

Big Bear: It was called "Trilogy of Terror"
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmmmn anything with Jane Fonda in it, oh my Jane and Rosie......aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh that is scary!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Society scares the hell outa me!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I must have decidedly the most unusual thing that freaks me out. Kinda embarassing actually.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Friggin wierd, I know, but what can I say. I got freaked out by this when I was little. You know the freaky acidents that happened to those kids stuck with me, cause I was there age or whatever. It really struck home with me. I can't sit through the movie It's a godamn phobia or something.  It's like snakes or spiders or mice freak out secretarys ... Willy Wonka hands down!

My wife thinks it's funny as hell to watch that damn movie too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I must have decidedly the most unusual thing that freaks me out. Kinda embarassing actually.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Friggin wierd, I know, but what can I say. I got freaked out by this when I was little. You know the freaky acidents that happened to those kids stuck with me, cause I was there age or whatever. It really struck home with me. I can't sit through the movie It's a godamn phobia or something.  It's like snakes or spiders or mice freak out secretarys ... Willy Wonka hands down!

My wife thinks it's funny as hell to watch that damn movie too.
View Quote

Love that movie.  But what does that to me is The Elephant Man scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have an irrational fear of snakes.

As far as movies go- Deliverance. The scene where Ned Beatty takes it up the chute by the mountain man, damn. Yeah, hillbillies scare me.
[img]www.destgulch.com/images/deliver2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#47]
John carpenters "the thing" the creature imagery in that movie was splendid. love the dog mutation scene.

when i was younger i was unsettled by the original "Evil Dead" and the scene from the first "Nightmare on Elm street" where the kid gets pulled through his bed and produces a geyser of blood.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I saw "The Others" last week and there was one scene. I had always heard the term hair raising, but just took it for a metaphor, but my hair stood on end. My buddy sitting next to me, shrieked like a little girl.
Then the mood was ruined because we were laughing at this big muscular guy shrieking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't really like scary movies that much, but when I was 10-11 we were reading "The Pit and the Pendulum" in school.  Now, it just so happened that the movie came on TV (Great Frelling Timing!), and we had to watch it.  When Vincent Price opened his wife's coffin, and it looked as if she had been buried alive, I got up, left the room and went right to bed.  It totally freaked me out!  Too this day, I haven't seen that movie all the way through.  Now, if you think "The Amityville Horror" movie was scary, try reading the book late one night.  Now that's Scary!

David
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top