[#1]
IBTTC

in befo da title change
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Northern Perspective (60 posts)     Wed Mar-16-05 05:55 PM
Original message
Back-asswards in Canada

This is the latest trend among the Religious Right wannabees up here - they believe if they walk like a duck and sound like a duck, they can fuck a duck - and imitation is the sincerest form of self-deception.

However, it is amusing to see the shoe on the other foot. Enjoy a walk through the looking-glass, people...

The Right Way for Stephen Harper By CRAIG CHANDLER

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 Updated at 11:25 PM EST

Globe and Mail Update

The Conservative Party convention in Montreal this weekend is the most important convention for the conservative movement. This convention is about policy that will determine our identity as a party and either give Canadians a real alternative, or set back the movement for several years.

<snip>

We social conservatives have been Mr. Harper's loyal soldiers in the former Canadian Alliance party and in the new Conservative Party and we are the reason why Mr. Harper is leader. When we united the two parties in 2003, we burned the boats as Mr. Harper commanded and became one entity. Now, the cultural war begins. We will become an alternative to the Liberals or the party will die.

<snip>

In my conversations with Mr. Harper, we would always agree that doing what is right is more important then doing what is popular. We agreed that the objective is getting our conservative principles into power. We agreed that the majority of Canadians are both fiscally and socially conservative and would vote for a leader who would stick to these principles.

<snip>

Social conservatives are becoming increasingly disillusioned to the point of staying home at election time, as evidenced by the lowest voter turnout in Canadian history last July. The re-election of U.S. President George W. Bush is a testament to the political activity and clout of evangelical Christians. Conservative leaders such as Mr. Harper should be paying close attention.

Craig Chandler is chief executive officer of Concerned Christians Canada Inc., and a former pro-merger leadership candidate for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada."

I, for one, will indeed vote to "set back the movement for several years."

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
too late!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
"We agreed that the majority of Canadians are both fiscally and socially conservative and
would vote for a leader who would stick to these principles."

If they would just get rid of their frog problem they would have a chance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to see what our Canadian members think about this.

CRC
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I want to see what our Canadian members think about this.

CRC

As a conservative I cant understand it.  We are experiencing the same thing here on a different level.

I believe, if given the choice, people will elect ultra conservative politicians. The problem is we dont have any to vote for because the pols are afraid to move right.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I am small 'c' conservative and right wing, I vote Conservative, though the party is nowhere near as conservative as I would like. There is little we can do, The party woudl win votes, but given the way our system works, it does not matter, they (conservative MPs) have to appear to be more moderate than conservative, otherwise the party will not gain seats in eastern canada.

Unfortunately If Ontario and Quebec vote for the same party, the rest of Canada is screwed.......

I hope the Conservative party steps up and actually act conservative, but I am not holding my breath, they are still better than th ealternativers  (New Democrat, which is to say the communist party, and th eLiberals which I am sure need no description)

My take on it for what it is worth

Next election I am voting for the Alberta Separatist party I think
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top