Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:09 PM EDT
What does one do that God will not forgive you! what sin that will cause you to be damned to hell for
ever and ever!  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Appaerantly nothing, HOWEVER, God has killed lots of people, turned entire citys into salt (or somthing to that effect). From King Of The Hill, the eppasode where Hank gos to anger managment class: "God is a mean two fisted gin joint bouncer AND HE CREATED US IN HIS IMAGE! AND YOU THINK I HAVE AN ANGER PROBLEM
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Murder, you will not be forgiven, you have to pay for that one yourself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the religion forum?

Blasphemy is the unpardonable sin. I remember from Sunday School.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (Matthew 12:31)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (Matthew 12:31)

winner
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Matt 12:32 says that "anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven..."  Is this indication that what we were taught in Sunday school (the Holy Trinity is One) is misguided or am I just missing the point here?

Myself, I like 12:30 the best: "He who is not with me is against me..." ( NIV)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
if you think something in your mind or say anything bad about the spirit that means your done!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if you think something in your mind or say anything bad about the spirit that means your done!

Look at the context. What was happening is He was performing undeniable miracles before their eyes and they attributed the works to the devil, not the HS. To claim that the works of the HS are from Satan is a big time no go. This is not an easy sin for us to commit.

Some say only those who were present back then could have commited that sin, some say that its still possible now. To see a miracle of the Holy Spirit and give the credit to the enemy is the unpardonable sin.

If you see someone raising the dead and they say they did it in the name of Jesus and you tell them Satan did it, it would not look good for you on the last day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
***Deleted<va-gunnut>***
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
that is a scary thought! not being able to be saved at all!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the context. What was happening is He was performing undeniable miracles before their eyes and they attributed the works to the devil, not the HS. To claim that the works of the HS are from Satan is a big time no go. This is not an easy sin for us to commit.

Some say only those who were present back then could have commited that sin, some say that its still possible now. To see a miracle of the Holy Spirit and give the credit to the enemy is the unpardonable sin.

If you see someone raising the dead and they say they did it in the name of Jesus and you tell them Satan did it, it would not look good for you on the last day.

True, Jesus is not here..BUT, the Holy Spirit is...

I still believe you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit. I once heard a preacher say that if you deny the conviction by the Holy Spirit, you in essence blaspheme Him. I don't know if I agree with that harsh of a statement, but I do believe there are ways to blaspheme Him.. I certainly don't want to test it... I get in enough trouble with the Lord as it is. Why add more to my list. Especially ones I cannot repent...

Not a good thing
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
suicide?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Care to provide a reference from the Bible?

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the only one I'm aware of.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Absolutely untrue. Paul was a murderer. Moses was a murderer. David was a murderer.

All of those men are in heaven.

God forgives even the crime of murder.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Again, not true.

Blasphemy of The Spirit is not something one can do by accident or with a stray thought.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I still believe you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit. I once heard a preacher say that if you deny the conviction by the Holy Spirit, you in essence blaspheme Him. I don't know if I agree with that harsh of a statement, but I do believe there are ways to blaspheme Him.. I certainly don't want to test it... I get in enough trouble with the Lord as it is. Why add more to my list. Especially ones I cannot repent...

Not a good thing

There is grieving The Spirit, and there is blaspheming Him.

Grieving The Spirit is something every human being has done and will do again. Sometimes we grieve Him by accident, sometimes on purpose.

A good example: The team from work wanted to get together and go see Team America: World Police. I reluctantly went along for the sake of the team. After a few minutes of the movie I was squirming in my seat because of the foul language. When the puppet sex scene happened, I felt a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that let me know The Spirit was not at ALL pleased about this movie.

That night I repented of not having done more to see a more appropriate movie.

Our body is the temple of The Holy Spirit. He dwells within us. As a Pentecostal, I have deliberately cultivated an awareness of His presence within me and have sought to enter into a communion with Him just as the Apostles did. One has to be very careful what they expose themselves to because they are also exposing The Spirit to the same things. When one takes in filth, it defiles His temple and retards His influence in their life.

That is grieving The Spirit. In fact, while typing this up, I have become accutely aware of some things I need to deal with. I have some praying to do tonight.....

Blasphemy of The Spirit is an entirely different phenomenon.

Blasphemy of The Spirit is not an act, but is an action produced by a heart that is so hard and bitter that it will not be influenced by His promptings. The Pharisees were so blind with pride and hatred that they proclaimed Christ's miracles (done through the charismatic power of The Holy Spirit) to be the works of the Devil. They didn't just do it once either, but several times.

Their heart was so hard and full of pride that they openly defied the most gentle member of The Trinity and proclaimed that His power was demonic.

The sin was not in what they said so much as it was in the condition of their heart and soul, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Blasphemy of The Spirit is the product of a heart completely and totally closed to the influence of The Spirit, who is the agent of salvation. Jesus was offered as the Sacrifice and The Father sent Him, but it is The Holy Spirit that moves on a man's heart to convict him of sin and convince Him of Christ.

When one completely closes himself off from the influence of The Spirit, he rejects the ONLY means of Salvation, for no man can confess Christ as Savior except that The Spirit enables him, as Jesus said in John 3:5.

The Spirit, by the way, is a He and not an "it". One cannot grieve or blaspheme an "it". Some folks conceive of The Spirit as being an impersonal force as opposed to being an actual Person, which is unscriptural...

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
suicide?

From a practical standpoint this may indeed be true. This, however, is not a matter of theological law but of practiclity, for one does not have time for a genuine change of heart and repentance when they shoot themselves in the head or use a similarly quick means of killing themselves.

With other methods it MAY be possible for someone to genuinely repent of what they have done before actually dying.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
that is a scary thought! not being able to be saved at all!

It should be scary, and it should be cause for us to think carefully about how we live our lives.

God is easy to crowd out of our existence, even if we go to church every Sunday. If we do not cultivate a personal relationship with Him, we make the same mistake as the Pharisees, and confuse religious observance with an actual relationship with God.

As I said, one cannot accidentally put themselves beyond the reach of God's grace. People, especially those who have been in or around charismatic/Pentecostal circles develop all sorts of wierd fears about blaspheming The Spirit.

I have heard people say that if you ever have any doubt about The Spirit that you have blasphemed Him. Such false teaching does not help matters and causes all sorts of silliness to go on.

A proper study of The Word demonstrates that it is not something one can do by a stray thought or by having doubt. Remember that a man came to Jesus with a demon posessed son and asked Christ to help with his unbelief. God does not reject us because we struggle with faith or struggle to understand His ways and His truths.

Faith isn't a constant positive mental state about God. Faith is deciding that you will obey God's will above your own reason and trust that He will do exactly what He has said He will do. It is ordering your steps according to His desires and obedience to His will in spite of your doubts and concerns.

Notice that the Bible doesn't spend a lot of time telling us what faithful people THOUGHT, but rather what they DID. Can you imagine the thoughts going through Abraham's mind during the three day trip to the mountain where he would sacrifice Isaac? In the end Abraham reasoned that God was faithful, God would not break His promises about Isaac, thus even if Abraham offered Isaac as a sacrifice that God would raise him up.

There was absolutely no logical reason whatsoever to believe ANY of that. It was all based on Abraham's deep and abiding conviction that God would not lie to him. It was a request that made no logical sense whatsoever, but Abraham believed God more than he believed his own brain, and obeyed.

The same goes with The Spirit, for He IS God. A pitiful human being cannot possibly understand Him   fully, and occasional doubts may come. The person God delights in, that The Spirit delights in is the one who confesses their weakness and who proceeds to obey anyway.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You also need to take into account the concept of knowledge here. The pharisees were religious leaders who knew the writings of Moses and the Prophets by HEART. They repeatedly engaged Jesus on matters of prophecy and scripture and every time He bore witness of Himself and His works in scripture. They were angered because a woman was healed on the Sabbath, for crying out loud!

They did not eternally damn their souls with a few hastily uttered words in the heat of a moment. They had God's word to consult, and they had The Word Made Flesh right in front of them, and they STILL refused to submit to God's authority.

It is still possible to blaspheme The Spirit today, but it is not something one can do out of ignorance or by accident. It is the product of a heart that is consumed with pride. It was pride, remember, that brought down Lucifer. Have you ever wondered why fallen angels are not forgiven? Lucifer is so consumed with pride that it permanently twisted him into a creature of absolute evil who burns with hatred for God and His Kingdom.

A heart eaten up with pride is the root of the sin of blaspheming The Holy Spirit. Remember that the Pharisees were KNOWLEDGABLE men, and that Paul says that knowledge puffs up...

Just as one is not saved by repeating a few magic words, neither is one condemned irrevocably by repeating a few magic words.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
blasphemy of the Holy Spirit........also taking the mark of the beast.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#22]
MormonComputerZ, which hell the terrestial kingdom, tellestial kingdom, or outer darkness cause after all isn't anything less than the celestial kingdom hell for you?  I personally am not a mormon, obviously, my mormon raised roommate is the one asking the question.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a good thing

Grieving The Spirit is something every human being has done and will do again. Sometimes we grieve Him by accident, sometimes on purpose.

A good example: The team from work wanted to get together and go see Team America: World Police. I reluctantly went along for the sake of the team. After a few minutes of the movie I was squirming in my seat because of the foul language. When the puppet sex scene happened, I felt a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that let me know The Spirit was not at ALL pleased about this movie.

Our body is the temple of The Holy Spirit. He dwells within us. As a Pentecostal, I have deliberately cultivated an awareness of His presence within me and have sought to enter into a communion with Him just as the Apostles did. One has to be very careful what they expose themselves to because they are also exposing The Spirit to the same things. When one takes in filth, it defiles His temple and retards His influence in their life.

That is grieving The Spirit. In fact, while typing this up, I have become accutely aware of some things I need to deal with. I have some praying to do tonight.....

Blasphemy of The Spirit is not an act, but is an action produced by a heart that is so hard and bitter that it will not be influenced by His promptings. The Pharisees were so blind with pride and hatred that they proclaimed Christ's miracles (done through the charismatic power of The Holy Spirit) to be the works of the Devil. They didn't just do it once either, but several times.

Their heart was so hard and full of pride that they openly defied the most gentle member of The Trinity and proclaimed that His power was demonic.

The sin was not in what they said so much as it was in the condition of their heart and soul, for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Blasphemy of The Spirit is the product of a heart completely and totally closed to the influence of The Spirit, who is the agent of salvation. Jesus was offered as the Sacrifice and The Father sent Him, but it is The Holy Spirit that moves on a man's heart to convict him of sin and convince Him of Christ.

When one completely closes himself off from the influence of The Spirit, he rejects the ONLY means of Salvation, for no man can confess Christ as Savior except that The Spirit enables him, as Jesus said in John 3:5.

The Spirit, by the way, is a He and not an "it". One cannot grieve or blaspheme an "it". Some folks conceive of The Spirit as being an impersonal force as opposed to being an actual Person, which is unscriptural...

That is very well-written. Seems like you cut and pasted it from a book it is so clear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That is very well-written. Seems like you cut and pasted it from a book it is so clear.

Nah.

I am just a Pentecostal teacher, which means I have had to deal with questions about blasphemy of The Spirit a lot. Thus I have to have a good grasp of the topic that I can coherently relate to others so they can understand it too.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

WOW, I guess that "666" tatoo I got when I was in the service wasn't such a good idea after all?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
MormonComputerZ, which hell the terrestial kingdom, tellestial kingdom, or outer darkness cause after all isn't anything less than the celestial kingdom hell for you?  I personally am not a mormon, obviously, my mormon raised roommate is the one asking the question.

I think you might want to rephrase that in a IM.  I think I understand your roommate but I think I can easily misunderstand this one.  I'm not that bright!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Unrepentance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
rejecting Salvation is the only unpardonable sin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have committed that one most of my life. Up until I turned 28. God still resurrected me while I was dead in sin and gave me life. I didnt even want it, but He saved me anyways. I thank Him always for that. I thank God that He is stronger than us.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW, I guess that "666" tatoo I got when I was in the service wasn't such a good idea after all?

The mark of the beast cannot be taken until the beast has actually been revealed, which has not happened yet. The Bible describes the mark as one you cannot buy or sell without. If you are able to buy and sell without the 666 tattoo, (assuming you are serious about having it....), then it isn't the mark of the beast and isn't of any impact on your immortal soul. Though it is a pretty silly thing to have permenantly etched on your skin....

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not quite. Blasphemy of The Spirit  is not pardonable, but mainly because of the hardness of heart behind such a thing.

There is such a thing as being so twisted by sin that you can never be set free. Not for a lack of God's power, but for a lack of responsiveness of the individual to His promptings.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Uh oh... what is 'blaspheming the Holy Ghost?"

My mom says that back when I was maybe 6 years old (and they used "Holy Ghost" instead of "Holy Spirit" in church) I draped a sheet over myself and chased my little brother around the house while saying in my spookiest voice, "IIIII'M THE HOLY GHOOOOOOSSSST......"

I hope that doesn't count.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#33]

2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Sums it up, G*d wants his due also persecuting a Jew, we are his...he takes us personal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Uh oh... what is 'blaspheming the Holy Ghost?"

My mom says that back when I was maybe 6 years old (and they used "Holy Ghost" instead of "Holy Spirit" in church) I draped a sheet over myself and chased my little brother around the house while saying in my spookiest voice, "IIIII'M THE HOLY GHOOOOOOSSSST......"

I hope that doesn't count.  

Read my responses on page 1.

Blasphemy of The Holy Ghost cannot be done in ignorance or by mistake. Your actions when you were six will not doom your immortal soul to hell.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#35]
what about god knows what you had thougt and a really bad thought came to my mind that the spirit of God was bad I really don't know what spun that thought! verse 30 says becasue thay said he had a evil or unclean spirit in him which I do not beleave so but the verse does say speak against wouldnt that qualify has blasphemy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
what about god knows what you had thougt and a really bad thought came to my mind that the spirit of God was bad I really don't know what spun that thought!

Huh?

verse 30 says becasue thay said he had a evil or unclean spirit in him which I do not beleave so but the verse does say speak against wouldnt that qualify has blasphemy.

Huh????

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

There is such a thing as being so twisted by sin that you can never be set free. Not for a lack of God's power, but for a lack of responsiveness of the individual to His promptings.

this is what i mean, there is no sin you will not be forgiven except rejecting the Holy Spirit.

I dont know what you mean by blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is what i mean, there is no sin you will not be forgiven except rejecting the Holy Spirit.

Everytime you sin you are rejecting the Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think of sin in a believer as disobedience more than rejection.

in a non believer i guess it would be rejection
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think of sin in a believer as disobedience more than rejection.

in a non believer i guess it would be rejection

In a Christian, the Holy Spirit is always convicting us of our sins and working in us. Everytime we sin, we are rejecting the conviction of the Spirit.

As far as non believers go, how many times did you reject the Holy Spirit before you were saved? I did every chance I was given. If it were true what you say, then I will never be saved because the first time I rejected the Holy Spirit, I became unsavable.

Most people spend a great deal of their lives rejecting the Holy Spirit. If rejecting the Holy Spirit was unforgivable, then pretty much no one would be saved.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may not accept a ransom for the life of a murderer who is guilty of a capital crime; he must be put to death---Numbers 35:31
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may not accept a ransom for the life of a murderer who is guilty of a capital crime; he must be put to death---Numbers 35:31

Good quote. I agree a murderer still has to pay for his crime in this world and the death penalty is scriptural. However, I do believe God can forgive even murder. David was no cub scout. There are a good many cases of God forgiving even the worst offenders.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Most people spend a great deal of their lives rejecting the Holy Spirit. If rejecting the Holy Spirit was unforgivable, then pretty much no one would be saved.

I am not saying if you reject him he goes away and never returns, He is always there. I am just saying that if  you reject Him until your death ,that is the only unforgivable sin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#45]

"WOW, I guess that "666" tatoo I got when I was in the service wasn't such a good idea after all?"

If you now subscribe to the belief that tattoos should not adorn the body, then go and sin no more :-)

These scriptures from Matthew (out of context) are given here for reference. Related is the scripture from Corinthians. There are many who might consider tattoos just another form of graffiti. I am sure there are many here that have tattoos and other body art. Some folks like it and some don’t. The scriptures from Corinthians may or may not relate literally to tattoos, but it might relate as to how we take care of our bodies (what we do to them and what we put IN them… or on them). The more I study the scriptures, the more I think I learn, then I go back and study some more.

The Holy Spirit will let you know what is right, if you listen. He will not yell but he will tell you.  

Back to lurking mode. Blessing to all.

Matthew 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Cor 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#46]
My old boss who was a poor excuse for a human, I did get him fired nad sued and won in Federal court. when he was issued his ID # it came up 666...the officer doing his ID said I wil make it #667, he said no thatone is OK!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#47]
no the unpardonal sin is Blasphemy which to speak a word that is untrue about the holy spirit nowhere where it says rejection! if it is blasphemy then i am in big trouble at judgement time!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not the mark of the beast however you are right it was not a good idea.
Why would anyone, even if jokingly, support Satan...it's a lost battle ppl. Might as well have joined the Iraqi army before we invaded.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Denial of Jesus Christ............I cannot imagine anyone who would deny HIM.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Denial of Jesus Christ............I cannot imagine anyone who would deny HIM.

Its something most have done until conversion. I have thousands of times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top