Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 9:59:38 AM EDT
Last thread got locked. I am looking for info from people who daily drive the new Jeep unlimited and or who have had/ or driven an FJ

I like my FJ but it's two years old and has more rust on the frame than much older cars. It  has me concerned as I life in the midwest and they use salt out here.

I need it for daily driving, and have to get to work in the winter no matter what. The FJ has fit this bill but I have always wanted a Jeep and love convertibles.

thanks again for any info and please not "9mm vs 45" type arguments here as I don't want to get it locked again

and also what are some good jeep jk forums
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
i will just say from having driven both, i like the Jeeps visability allot better. Also cruising with no doors is amazing, and on a Jeep it takes 2 seconds to pull em (on my TJ i leave the hinge nuts off). The JK didnt strike me as underpowered, and on paper it looks like it should have plenty of grunt. Theres also the benefit of being American, it will be easier and cheaper to get parts for 10 years down the road. Live axles wont ride as well on the road especially not at high speed (80+) but will more than make up for it if you hit the dirt much. Theres my take.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrangler = more fun
FJC = more practical

Statistically the FJ should be more reliable. FJ is at least somewhat more practical.  FJ is faster.  FJ pretty good offroad, but not as good as a Rubicon.

Wrangler is more fun––removable top/doors.  Wrangler will probably be less reliable than an FJ.  Wrangler is slower than FJ.  Gotta spend the money on a Rubicon (don't want to be driving the same Jeep as your neighbor's teenage daughter.... )

My take - if you have the money to burn and want to drive around w/o doors, go buy the Jeep.  If you don't have the money to burn, or decide you don't really care, keep the FJ.  Both vehicles will get the job done (i.e. getting you where you need to go).  If you have the money, just buy what you want.  

In ten years, it won't matter if you drove a Wrangler or an FJC.  I have no idea why people get so worked up over this question (or FJCs generally)––it's just Land Cruiser Prado / Lexus GX / 4Runner underpinnings with a "unique" and/or ugly body on top.  

Disclaimer - FJ owner here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Last thread got locked. I am looking for info from people who daily drive the new Jeep unlimited and or who have had/ or driven an FJ Test drove an FJ but it just didn't fit the bill for us and what we like to do. 40k now on our 08 now an so far so good.

I like my FJ but it's two years old and has more rust on the frame than much older cars. It has me concerned as I life in the midwest and they use salt out here. Cant help you here as we live in the desert.

I need it for daily driving, and have to get to work in the winter no matter what. The FJ has fit this bill but I have always wanted a Jeep and love convertibles. The doors stay off most of spring though fall for us.

thanks again for any info and please not "9mm vs 45" type arguments here as I don't want to get it locked again

and also what are some good jeep jk forums.    http://www.jk-forum.com/index.php

When we finaly wear out the stock tires a 3" lift and 35's are going on it.

Pretty capable rigs even in stock form

All in all if you don't like a rough ride and don't intend to play then meh go check them out and find someone close who has one and test drive it and make the choice.

If I were to do it again I would have made the same choice. RUBICON
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top