Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/2/2002 9:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 10:04:15 PM EDT by agtm]
... it end? i've heard this is bad has anyone seen it? how does the story go and how does it end those that don't want to know, stop reading now! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:56:04 PM EDT
Okay, here's the ending: You sit through two long, agonizing hours only to find out that the aliens look like Jodie Foster's Father. Oh wait, that was contact... [puke]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:56:51 PM EDT
Okay. I just got home from work. I thought you meant "Movie [b]POSTERS[/b] spoil the movie for me", at first. It is by M. Night Shaalamadingdong (WHATEVER HIS LAST NAME IS). He did The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Should be a good movie..... Scott
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:00:47 PM EDT
what was the whole deal with the girl and the glasses of water laying around everywhere. my parents made fun of me cuz i left 5 glasses laying on the table.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:26:57 PM EDT
Haven't seen it, but people say the aliens leave (they're not invading or anything. They're just a metaphor) It's not even about aliens in the first place. It's about faith in god, and the title "Signs" is a double-entendre about that. I dont like this director at all, and I think his movies arent suspenseful, creepy, or even good. He's hot shit in Hollywood, though. Whatever.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 10:48:23 PM EDT by AR-15Fan]
Spoiler below. I kinda liked the movie, but you're either going to like or think it sucked donkey balls, not much room in the middle IMO. It ends with hostile aliens invading earth only to discover they are harmed/killed by water, so they flee after taking/killing alot of people in hand to hand, non technology based combat (whats up with that?). Gibson has an encounter with a wounded one left behind, realizes the last words of his dying wife were actually instructions (his wifes seemingly random ramblings before her death years ago caused him to lose faith in God, and quit being a Priest) and they fight the alien, and save his kid. His faith in God is now restored. Blah, blah. Kinda just have to see it. Made me jump outta my skin in a couple places, although I saw it coming. It's pretty funny in several instances too, but has a strange feel. Which is probably why I liked it. So, it's a strange movie, definitely in tune with M Night Shamadodnlong's or whatever's other movies. I watched it for free, not sure if I would have wanted to pay for it, can't say I can recommend it to others since it's going to be a hit or miss flick for each individual IMO. {EDIT} and as seen here and elsewhere, the tinfoil hat scenes will be posted to gun boards for years to come, lol. Especially the one with the two kids and older brother sitting there staring at the camera. LOL, classic.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:32:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt: It is by M. Night Shaalamadingdong (WHATEVER HIS LAST NAME IS). Scott
View Quote
Laughed my ASS off at this... Ok, so I'm easily amused-so sue me... Juggernaut
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:37:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Juggernaut:
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt: It is by M. Night Shaalamadingdong (WHATEVER HIS LAST NAME IS). Scott
View Quote
Laughed my ASS off at this... Ok, so I'm easily amused-so sue me... Juggernaut
View Quote
saw that one on a review at [url]www.imdb.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 10:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 10:47:52 PM EDT by gardenWeasel]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/tinfoilhat.jpg[/img] "I learned how to make these at ar15.com!"
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:31:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2002 11:39:46 PM EDT by blackmanta]
I just saw it... WATER! Water kills these MF-ers! Our atmosphere has WATER in it! They'd be killed by the first damn fog/rainstorm/morning dew that came along! If one of use spat on 'em or bled on 'em they'd die! The one at the end gets killed by guy with a bat! Imagine the job we and our AR's would do on 'em! Advanced alien species MY ASS! They can't "problem solve" their way out of a damn pantry or even knit themselves a pair of pants! At least the aliens from "V" had guns and could speak English! The story takes place in rural Pennsylvania and no one had a gun! I can see a minister not having a closet full of AW's but you'd think he'd have a little .22 for pest control.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 4:39:58 AM EDT
I liked the movie, but I really want to know why they didn't bunker down in the cellar in the first place?? The hell with boarding up the windows, I'd gone to the cellar right off the bat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 5:00:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By blackmanta: I just saw it... WATER! Water kills these MF-ers...Imagine the job we and our AR's would do on 'em!
View Quote
Probably not as effective as our [img]http://www.supersoaker.com/42small.gif[/img] Super Soakers!
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:07:14 PM EDT
There were "signs" about the primitive technology that killed them. Such as the cop's story about the old woman spitting on the skateboards and stuff. I thought the movie was the best I've seen all year, regardless of the jokers who haven't seen it, yet profess their opinions. EXCELLENT MOVIE! Makes you think about SHTF scenarios and defendable positions within your house. Watch it to get you thinking!
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:33:58 PM EDT
What I hated about this movie from the other topic... I HATED IT! It pissed me off to no end. First, it was a church sermon posing as a movie. The message being "When God horribly kills a family member in a violent way, it is actually all part of a divine plan that will save you later." As if God couldn't really say "Hey asshole, kill the Martian with a fvcking bat WITHOUT violently killing your family members." It was even worse than the bastardization of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds, which was re written to include a "God in his infinite wisdom" morality tale. Second, what kind of asshole lives in the middle of NOWHERE without a gun? Christ they had a pickaxe and rather than employ it as a weapon they used it to bar a door. Remember the stupid premise of "Panic Room"? Well thats what these turds did. "Shit, martians (bad guys), quick run and hide and lock yourslef in and you'll be OK." Typical bullshit. On a farm with wide open spaces in every direction, I'd have had a Martian piles going in every direction 400 yards away. How Mel Gibson went from a movie like "The Patriot" where he tossed his kids rifles to a movie like this where they use a pick axe as a door stop is beyond me. Also with all hte adavanced warning, they didn't band together with neighbors for common defense/assistance. What kind of shit is that? This is especially annoying given the Martian secret weapon. Christ you could taken them out first with Super Soakers. These were the pussiest alien invaders I have seen in a LONG TIME. And another thing. The left the dog tied up. I know the first dog went nuts but they could have given the dog the run of the barn or something. And the first dog being so spooked he turned on the kids goes against everything I have ever seen about family dogs under duress. In the real world they'd have had two more first lines of defense/home security systems. But I guess the dogs could have been perceived as a weapon and had to be neutralized. Bottom line in this movies is: Don't fight back, run and hide. Don't arm yourself. It's all part of Gods plan. Just sit tight and he will take care of everything. But he may have to kill some of your family to help you understand. This crap pisses me off. Can ya tell?
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 8:37:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bastiat: Okay, here's the ending: You sit through two long, agonizing hours only to find out that the aliens look like Jodie Foster's Father. Oh wait, that was contact... [puke]
View Quote
That is hilarious!! Contact SUCKED!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 12:23:54 AM EDT
As for the PC non-use of weapons - that was obvious. I told my wife during the part where they could hear the aliens on the porch "I'd already be on my second mag". [:D] She laughed and said we'd ALL be there with our ARs. [:D] They have the technology to travel to earth, but they can't come up with a f*cking rain coat and rubber boots? They sent "scouts" to a planet that is 3/4 covered in water and didn't think to defend against it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the word "God" being used one time. They talked around him - "faith in somthing", ect - but I noticed they didn't use the "G" word.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:33:32 PM EDT
What is it with you people? Good grief, its a MOVIE!!! Millions of people go out and enjoy [b][i]Star Trek[/b][/i] and [b][i]Star Wars[/b][/i] re-runs everyday... do you want to start taking them apart for breaking the laws of physics and common sense too? And who cares if the characters had guns or not? Was it a good way to build suspense? YOUBETCHA!!! Why bother fantasizing about "what would I have done if I was there?" THE "THERE" DOESN"T EXIST! [b][i]Signs[/b][/i] was the first time in a long time that I've seen a scary movie that isn't just a chain of gore scenes. Its imaginative and has a TINY, LITTLE ALLUSION to something vaguely called "faith." And that seems to drive people over the edge. JMHO, YMMV, etc. [:\]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:47:00 PM EDT
we care because the popular forms of entertainment are largly responsible for the opinions of the stupid people in this country when things like movies make those stupid people think "guns are evil" it can eventually have a direct impact on my rights through the idiotic masses voting how they've been trained to do
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:58:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 455SD: I liked the movie, but I really want to know why they didn't bunker down in the cellar in the first place?? The hell with boarding up the windows, I'd gone to the cellar right off the bat.
View Quote
Haven't seen Dawn of the Dead? [:)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:11:19 PM EDT
They didn't bunker down in the beginning was because I think they weren't really sure if they were hostile or not. Mel's character assumed it when the alien took a swipe at him but that could've been for several reasons... As for the gun thing. Mel's character it seemed ok I think...recall when he's running around trying to scare that thing outside with the brother..."I'm insane with anger!" Or something like that... The brother on the other hand, a gun wouldn't have surprised me... Thought it was a great movie, that little girl cracked me up. Mel apparantly in an interview (my ma was telling me this) that he hopes they don't make a DVD because the girl wanted to learn how to box or something so their fooling around. This was being filmed and the sound guys added affects so the final piece looks like he's beating the snot out of her...hehe. This M Night guy I think is great (can't wait to see movie #4), he leaves little to know plot holes in his movies at the end, and what things that don't really make sense its left for you to try to decide what is up...I mean, yeah, water is bad for them. Why'd they go to a planet thats mostly water? Why didn't they have water protection suits, did they know the water was like acid to them? Stuff like that...maybe being hunters the water was a challenge...Whats also kind of cool, according to the book they'll be back in a hundred years or a millinia
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:32:10 PM EDT
This movie sucked ass. Wasn't very well thought out. I mean, Gibson never even tried to check out what the hell was going on with his corn, didn't tell anyone about the alien he saw in the field and didn't try to move his family to safety. I wasted two damn hours against my will. I could have spent that thirty bucks (dinner, movie, popcorn, no sex) on ammo or something useful. Did like the creepy "Hitchcockesque" feeling of the movie though. Wished he (Gibson) would have boned the Deputy that was so clearly infatuated with him.
Top Top