Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2013 4:20:51 PM EDT
How rare are the ones that did not have the chrysanthemum ground off?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Rarer. Though sometimes it's just struck through.

Worth more since it essentially proves it's a bringback prior to Japanese surrender.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Not rare, rather uncommon. The Chrysanthemum is the symbol of the divine emperor and was to be defaced before being surrendered. I would say I see 1 intact for every 10 Jap rifles I see.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
They are not THAT rare but harder to find than one without it.  You want rare.......go looking for a real Deathshead stamped Gew98.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rarer. Though sometimes it's just struck through.

Worth more since it essentially proves it's a bringback prior to Japanese surrender.

This pretty much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Gramps brought one back from The Canal....my cousin has it probably bubba'd it or pawned it for demo derby parts..
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have the monopod and dust cover for the bolt, add more to the value.

Having the chrysanthemum intact adds quite a bit of value
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 You want rare.......go looking for a real Deathshead stamped Gew98.

At the importer I worked at, there are about 25 of them sitting in the lockup. A few slabside snipers also.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
As I recall MacArthur allowed the Japs to deface many small arms before surrender to help them save face.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The reason I am asking is that a young man (bubblehead IIRC) from King's Bay Naval Station had an Arisaka at the range today, complete with chrysanthemum and all matching numbers:

The guy he got it from (for a Taurus pistol but I can't recall which one) had done this to the rifle:

Personally, I am appalled at this especially given that it most likely is a bring back.

I know, many won't care, but this kind of stupidity should not be dismissed.

The kid ain't crazy about what was done but he got it cheap.

He is gonna look into trying to restore it to it's original configuration.  I hope he can find the part.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The reason I am asking is that a young man (bubblehead IIRC) from King's Bay Naval Station had an Arisaka at the range today, complete with chrysanthemum and all matching numbers:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum002_zpsf4378962.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum003_zps7fadfdb7.jpg

The guy he got it from (for a Taurus pistol but I can't recall which one) had done this to the rifle:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum001_zps83ec3837.jpg

Personally, I am appalled at this especially given that it most likely is a bring back.

He is gonna look into trying to restore it to it's original configuration.  I hope he can find the part.

Doesn't matter how much NFA I have, C&R's brought me into firearms and I still love them.  Mine has the chrysanthemum destroyed but at least wasn't butchered like that poor rifle.

Also, thank god I handload my own ammo and can still shoot it.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I had found a real gem when I saw one on the used rack at Cabelas.

Came home and looked it up and it really wasn't worth that much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunbroker has them for $425 and up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone before him sporterized it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure now, but a few years back the prices on them shot up. Seems the Japanese were buying them and having them deactivated and using them as displays.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Rare..but not that rare. I own 3 Arisakas..2 have the mum...one is ground. Rifles brought home as trophys through official channels were supposed to be ground mummed...Official military shit so as not to offend the all-mighty emporer. This after the war...nobody that wasn't Japanese military gave a shit if mums were ground or not before combat ended in the Pacific

It ain't like the last Jap alive on some shit-hole island gathered all the Arisaka rifles and ground tthe mums off before getting his head blowed off with a Garand.....Mums got ground off at surrender(the big one)..and as a requirement for bringing a Japanese musket home as a trophy through official channels....lots of Arisakas came to the US fully mummed...only after the war were mums ground-off to help ease the mighty emporer's butt-hurt......
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 Type 99's, one with intact mum. Plus a Type I that never had a mum. They were issued to the Navy/Marines as plain rifles. Only the Imperial Army rifles had the mum.

My father told me he bulldozed piles of Arisakas on Okinawa after the surrender. I've also seen a picture somewhere on the net of a barge filled with surrendered Arisakas taken out to sea and dumped over the side.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Was just looking at a rackfull yesterday....every one had the mum ground off.

I have a Type 38 Carbine that grandpa brought back from the Pacific Theater....mum intact.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum002_zpsf4378962.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum003_zps7fadfdb7.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff2/arisakawithchrysanthemum001_zps83ec3837.jpg

JFC I hope he beat the former owner to death with a cactus...

Whats up with the screws in the receiver?  Part of the bubba job?

I've got a Type-38 in "good" or "pretty good" condition, mum intact but dustcover missing.  When my dad was a kid, he yanked it out of a trash can on the east side of Chicago, used his shoe laces to tie it to his bike's handlebars, and too it home...

The former owner was USMC, killed the former owner on Guadalcanal, took it home, and hung it over the fireplace over his wife's constant protests.  When he died she just threw it out....
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
New a older guy you had an arisaka he wanted to sell me but it was bubba'd this I think still had it on the rifle
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
New a older guy you had an arisaka he wanted to sell me but it was bubba'd this I think still had it on the rifle

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I got lucky. Must have been some lazy as fuck private who ground mine, because the chrysanthemum is still very clear on my Type 38.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I find something nostalgic about sporterized WWII bring backs. That is, the ones that a G.I. brought home, found he needed a hunting rifle, and modified his enemies weapon to suit his needs. There's a historic appeal in that. Not some imported C&R rifle that's been Bubba'd. It's all in the provenance, as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
My type 99 has had the mum defaced slightly. I love the AA sights.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

May I moo moo dog face to the banana patch?

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#25]
My Type 99 w/intact mum was brought home from Guam by an Army photographer. He rode in the belly of converted P-38 Lightnings and took photos of occupied islands before invasions. He was my wife's step-father.

The Type I was brought back from Okinawa by a Marine Raider friend of my MIL. He's still alive.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

poor rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Did pistols not get the chrysanthemum?  I have a Nambu type 98, in pristine condition.  My grandfather brought it back from a Zero pilot he shot down with a tank (fascinating story!).  But, no flower on it.  Markings indicate it was made in May of '44.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did pistols not get the chrysanthemum?  I have a Nambu type 98, in pristine condition.  My grandfather brought it back from a Zero pilot he shot down with a tank (fascinating story!).  But, no flower on it.  Markings indicate it was made in May of '44.

Army weapons had the 'Mum, Zeros were Japanese Navy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#30]
How much is one with bolt dust cover and monopod (no mum) worth?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As I recall MacArthur allowed the Japs to deface many small arms before surrender to help them save face.

MacArthur was an ass. He let them surrender with out feeling like they surrendered, he allowed them the keep the Emperor, he did this with the Arisakas, he made sure that the war crime trials went a lot easier on them than the Germans. He ruled the Pacific as a virtual potentate after the war.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MacArthur was an ass. He let them surrender with out feeling like they surrendered, he allowed them the keep the Emperor, he did this with the Arisakas, he made sure that the war crime trials went a lot easier on them than the Germans. He ruled the Pacific as a virtual potentate after the war.

How long after Pearl did they attack the Philippines?

Planes were still sitting on the ground.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Army weapons had the 'Mum, Zeros were Japanese Navy.

Ah, interesting.  Learn something new every day.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#34]
To the serious collector the Mums don't really matter if they are ground on a rare example.

Type, Series and Manufacturer means more as does the presence of a dust cover, aa sights, and mono-pod if it was issued with those. Find you a late "rope-hole" stocked Type 99 and the damn Mum coud be completly gone and it would not matter. Same with the take-down models and carbines.

As a accumulator of Jap. rifles I prefer them just struck instead of ground on the mundane specimens but I would not pay much of a premium for a intact Mum. Heck a sling would be something I'd pay a lot extra for first as orgional slings are hard to find and expensive.

A ground Mum is just a good way to convince those that don't know any better to reduce the price on a desirable rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Go on... Do tell.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on... Do tell.

I think I saw the movie but it was set in North Africa.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To the serious collector the Mums don't really matter if they are ground on a rare example.

Type, Series and Manufacturer means more as does the presence of a dust cover, aa sights, and mono-pod if it was issued with those. Find you a late "rope-hole" stocked Type 99 and the damn Mum coud be completly gone and it would not matter. Same with the take-down models and carbines.

As a accumulator of Jap. rifles I prefer them just struck instead of ground on the mundane specimens but I would not pay much of a premium for a intact Mum. Heck a sling would be something I'd pay a lot extra for first as orgional slings are hard to find and expensive.

A ground Mum is just a good way to convince those that don't know any better to reduce the price on a desirable rifle.

Not long ago Southern California Gun (since closed due to ATF and CA DOJ ) had a number of Type 38s and Type 99s some with mums, some without. IIRC one Type 30 as well. The prices were all on the low side of $300 IIRC.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's my grandfathers bring backs. I've also got one additional sword, the sheath for the bayonet and the nabu holster also has the spare magazine and spare firing pin.
He was a commanding officer on the New Jersey.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#39]
My wifes grandfather served in the USMC in WW2 and brought one back.  Last time I saw it was out in her uncles barn rusting....pissed me off big time.  Her uncle has no respect for history.

Told him he should clean it up and keep it in the house but he pretty much blew me off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got two of them, a 38 and 99 i believe, in pieces at the house. Sporter jobs from the 60s that were never finished. Both with unground mums. Thinking of finishing the job someday, but I need something odd to do to them. Maybe 300blk or 300 savage or something weird.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine has mum, aa sites and dust cover.  Stock was all cracked to hell very worn finish would love to know the story how it got here where its been etc. I got  the stock all fixed and shot her fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Here's my grandfathers bring backs. I've also got one additional sword, the sheath for the bayonet and the nabu holster also has the spare magazine and spare firing pin.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/jaflowers/DSCF4343_zpsfba35b0e.jpg

Captain Holden or Captain Woolridge? How did the Skipper of a BB get his hands on those? Had to be gifted to him.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I have one that is in rough shape. It needs a stock.

How would one remove pitting and rust without destroying a 1936 Arisaka.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/jaflowers/DSCF4343_zpsfba35b0e.jpg

That is awesome.

My grampa's bringback: http://homorasus.blogspot.com/2012/08/homo-memor-arisaka-type-99.html

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#45]
a bought a really nice Type 38 Concentric Circle rifle at a local show for $100

gave it to a friend of mine who liked Japper guns............................

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top