Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 8:14:02 PM EDT
i work with gas turbines. about the coolest thing is the sound they make as they spool up to speed from a start. we just finished an outage and i got to hear it again, it never gets old. since it has to drive a heavy generator, that great sound drags out a lot longer than that of a jet engine starting. ahhhhh, the sound of power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the initial spool of a turbine, but a JT8 is the most annoying thing on this planet. The most awesome sound is an RB211 with full takeoff power....Oh yeah!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have worked on Gas and Steam units and the Steam Units really crank out the sound of Power.
It is a little tense when the steam first hits the unit, sounds like the pipes are coming down.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
We have a few generator buildings here at work.  I'm not sure of the specifics of the engines but I know they are huge turbo charged diesel engines.  When they fire up huge plumes of black smock roll across the property.  Its really cool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#4]
J-79 in AB.  Ooh yeah!  Sounds much sweeter than a J-57 water burner (converted water into high decibel noise creating the illusion of thrust).  Of course four TF-33s spooling up for a standing TRT takeoff isn't bad either.  The F-117 (the engine, not the airplane) is much more subtle, but capable of getting your attention (a quiet 40,000 lbs of thrust).

However, after 2 1/2 decades working with jets my favorite engine sound is a radial.  Like the Harley of the skies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Dont know the name of the engine, but the one I always thought sounded the coolest was the engines on the DC10 at WOT.

echo6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top