Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 4:03:46 PM EDT
i had a bank teller ask me for a photo id and a thumbprint before she would cash the check that was from one of her customers. is this common banking practice to keep a fingerprint on file for everyone who tries to do get a check cashed ??  i told her i was not a criminal and if the photo id wasnt enough proof of who i was, i would bank elsewhere....she handed me the check back and said, have a nice day!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Take off the tinfoil. Standard practice at alot of banks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've refused before.  They can have my fingerprints after they read me my rights.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL tinfoil is on to tight, nothing wrong at all for them to ask for your thumb print
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Should of counter-offered a semen sample.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
standard practice for those without a bank account.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the OP taught her who was boss.

I bet you didn't even have a nice day, just to spite the bitch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've refused before. They can have my fingerprints after they read me my rights.

Same here.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've refused before.  They can have my fingerprints after they read me my rights.

Did it occur to you that the check and any other paperwork you handed them is covered with your fingerprints?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Why don't you cash it at your own bank?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Never heard of a fingerprint before I'd tell them to FOAD
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

is this common banking practice

Welcome to 1997.....  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did it occur to you that the check and any other paperwork you handed them is covered with your fingerprints?

Then why do they need another?

The odd thing is this - I can open an account at any bank without providing a fingerprint.  I can then deposit/cash checks from anyone without a fingerprint.  But if I don't have an account, they want a fingerprint - even for checks drawn on their bank.  I don't get it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Take off the tinfoil. Standard practice at alot of banks.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The odd thing is this - I can open an account at any bank without providing a fingerprint.  I can then deposit/cash checks from anyone without a fingerprint.  But if I don't have an account, they want a fingerprint - even for checks drawn on their bank.  I don't get it.

they are trying to protect themselves, do you have any idea how many hot checks are written everyday.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
They want your thumb print just to piss you off. No other reason. ( cept to submit it to the big database of mystery)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Overdrawn? btdt

Always did wonder what they did with it, if they stored it on file or only used if check was reported stolen or something.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is this:

People here get so wound up about no-one having their fingerprints (and data about where they go, what they do, what they buy) - but do not to pause to think (or are blissfully unaware) that fingerprints are FAR from private... we leave them everywhere we go and on most items we touch.  Its not as if I wanted your fingerprints that I would have the slightest problem in easily getting a complete quality set without your knowledge.  Child's play.

The same applies for the assumed privacy that so many people believe that they have - yet the companies they do business with collectively know almost everything about what you do, what you buy, the medications that you are taking, where you go, what web pages you visit, how often and what you spend your time doing on the web, who you call, who calls you and how often etc etc etc etc.  Much of this information is available for sale to companies that want to advertise to you.  I know - I see the data.  Its amazing.

Assumed anonymity/privacy is much more a myth than a reality in this day and age.

They want your fingerprint (even though there are several on the check) for their convenience and cost-containment.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
When I was serving on a Fed GJ, we had a case where a man handed a bank teller a note demanding money. The teller said that she could give him all the money in her drawer, but that he would have to give his thumbprint on the little sticker first. Since he really really wanted some quick cash, the rocket scientist/ bank robber happily complied.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i was about 30 miles from the nearest branch of my bank. i did get it cashed at my bank, when i got back into town.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
SOP.
There are so many bad checks getting passed. It's a simple deterrent or aide in a check fraud investigation.

Stores who are not strict with simple check fraud deterrent procedures get screwed. They call the police and have nothing on the suspect. As a former cop, I took a report and filed it away as an inactive case. Banks have so many bad checks, they don't even bother calling the police.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Deposit check = no thumbprint, since they haven't given you any money
Cash check = lack of trust, therefore thumbprint or no cash

Steve
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
standard practice for those without a bank account.

this
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Bank of America?

Hate them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Happened to me at BOA, thought I'd send a guy his goods that quickly mailed his check, quickly in return, by caching it.

I understand the need if the police have to get involved, but on the front of a check, a complete stranger can get back???

Never again.

Oh, here's another one that took me by surprise lately, talking about "new" bank policies....

Walked into *my* bank w/a cashiers check, $18,000, they put a hold on it until it clears (I'm confident they would have cashed it if my average daily balance would cover it if it bounces).

Cashiers check doesn't mean squat anymore, worthless for real-time funding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I was told by senior financial adviser at Charles Schwab that if a bank holds your check until it clears you should be collecting interest on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

When I was serving on a Fed GJ, we had a case where a man handed a bank teller a note demanding money. The teller said that she could give him all the money in her drawer, but that he would have to give his thumbprint on the little sticker first. Since he really really wanted some quick cash, the rocket scientist/ bank robber happily complied.

Lol, I hope that teller got a promotion!

That's too damn funny
Speed

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Yup, thumb prints, fees for breathing "their" oxygen, the temerity to actually speak to them and holding your checks while they collect overnight interest...

...typical bank bullshit.

Soon the banks and the equally moronic airlines will join in a universal "fuck the customer while we collect bailout money" consortium...

No debt, cash only and credit unions are awesome, especially those serving the military.

Fuck banks.

Oh, and fuck the airlines too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Cash it at your own bank.

The other bank has no idea who you are, and thus doesn't trust you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You have two groups of people to thank-tweakers, stealing, washing and then cashing checks, and illegals-who often do the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never heard of a fingerprint before I'd tell them to FOAD

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cash it at your own bank.

The other bank has no idea who you are, and thus doesn't trust you.

Bingo!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top