Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 5:32:07 PM EDT
Local Man Claims Excessive Police Force

A Springfield Township man who recently had back surgery said he's a victim of police brutality.

Police said Chris Parmer of Springfield Township drove too close to an officer during a traffic stop, so the police pulled him over. Parmer was on his way home around 11 p.m. Saturday night.

What happened next was caught on a police officer's cruiser videotape, with the exception of the first two minutes of the traffic stop, which were not caught on tape because the officers had not yet turned the recorder on.

Parmer said an officer from Greenhills stopped him, asked him to get out of the car and told him to lean over and put his hands on the car's hood.

"I told them 'This is as far as I can lean over, I've had back surgery,'" Parmer said.

Then, some Springfield Township police cars arrived and one of the officers told Parmer to put his hands behind his back. The videotape of the arrest shows Parmer trying to put his hands behind his back.

Then, according to Parmer, "So I did it and all of the sudden, hell broke loose. They're kneeing me in my back and they're punching the hell out of me on my left side. Right there on the right you see that punch."

Parmer was then maced. The videotape shows that even after he was handcuffed, the officer threw another punch. Then, the videotape shows the officers picking Parmer up by his arms and putting him in the back of the police cruiser.

Parmer said he was maced one more time right after police put him in the cruiser. Although the back of the cruiser isn't able to be seen on the videotape of the fixed-position camera, Parmer's screams from the back of the cruiser are heard on the tape.

"We watched the video. We interviewed the officers. You know, our feeling is that they acted properly and within our guidelines.," said Chief David Heimpold of the Springfield Twp. Police Dept.

Heimpold said Parmer from watching the tape, he believes that Parmer was resisting arrest, pushing back from the car.

"From watching the tape, it appears that some physical force is being exerted not to be arrested," Heimpold said.

Parmer said he plans to sue the Springfield Township and Greenhills police. For that reason, the Greenhills police chief could only say that his officers "followed proper procedures."

"I did not struggle at all. I tried the best to comply with everything he asked of me. We want people to protect us, not offend us. I want justice," Parmer said.

Parmer was charged with reckless driving and resisting arrest. He was treated and released from Jewish Hospital the night of his arrest.

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Removed from the vehicle, maced, handcuffed, and beaten...all for a traffic stop?  Including punches and mace after he is handcuffed, and the officers acted properly?  WTF is this?  And LEO's actually wonder why more and more people are getting a bad attitude towards them?

This sounds similar to Gunbert's encounter , [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73979[/url] , and he didn't do anything to deserve the treatment he got.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I am so sick of the LEO argument that 'there's always a bad apple'. Here you have a textbook example of department policy at work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Me. I'm tired of you uppity, back-surgery patients.
As I sit here holding a pamphlet titled, "Oh My Aching Back!"
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never been one to bash LEO's but bullshit like this is getting way out of hand!!! One of these days those "bad apples" are going to fuck with the wrong person & have the tables turned on them. And I hope to GOD that the video camera catches the whole damn thing.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."  
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The ATF already did. At Waco, they attacked the Dividians and lost several of their JBTs in the process. The Dividians lost 80 something people including Women and Children. But, in a sense the Dividians won. Why, because they were found Not Guilty of Muder of Federal Agents. They extracted a heavy toll on the JBTs and showed that an armed group Defending itself and it's rights can hold off a much larger, more well armed force for something like 50 Days.

Quoted:
I've never been one to bash LEO's but bullshit like this is getting way out of hand!!! One of these days those "bad apples" are going to fuck with the wrong person & have the tables turned on them. And I hope to GOD that the video camera catches the whole damn thing.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."  
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Theres a new sheriff in town...Little Bill.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it goes to court I'm sure every LEO present will be named in any suit or at least their names made public.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.channelcincinnati.com/cin/news/stories/news-109792720011129-221149.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Removed from the vehicle, maced, handcuffed, and beaten...all for a traffic stop?  Including punches and mace after he is handcuffed,
View Quote

Removed from the vehicle for reckless driving.

"Maced" (more like oleoresin capsicum), handcuffed, and "beaten" (struck to overcome his resistance to being handcuffed, and his continued resistance to being placed in the patrol car), becuase he resisted arrest.

It's easier to put a resisting prisoner in the car butt first and have a second officer grab his cuffs and pull him through, than it is to force him in head first. Apparently nobody ever showed these guys that.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess in this instance you have to see the video to make a correct decision on whether or not they acted poorly.

You don't know if the guy was using his "bad back" to resist and be a jerk. People don't like to be controlled and will kick and scream if they can't be in control of the situation.

On the other side of the fence, is it necessary to give the guy additional blows after he is cuffed? I don't think so. Once you have someone in cuffs, you can control them as long as they aren't trying to kick you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top