Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 7:28:32 PM EDT
Is there a better way than term limits to allow/force an elected official to act based on his consience, not getting re-elected?
Perhaps electing for 8 years.
BP
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I am really dead set against term limits. We already have term limits. It's regularly scheduled elections every 4 years. If you don't like the bum, then throw him out!!

Term limits are crutchs for weak minded, lazy voters. Unfortunatly, that makes up the majority of voters now-a-days. And from that I can see how term limits are appealing. But I still don't like them.

This is not meant to be a flame to you cap't. Just my very vocal opinion.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, get the people to do what they are supposed to (should) do.... vote!

Also, something with some teeth to get them bastages to uphold the oath of office.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
perhaps a 100 dollar tax credit to vote?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
putting the "legality" of income tax aside..

here is what I would propose:

Have a NATIONAL holiday, where no one (~) works.
On this day, pay your taxes before noon, in person.
VOTE in the afternoon.

this way there is no excuse for not voting. and the buttreamin' you just took via taxes will be very fresh in your mind as you vote.

oh well, just a thought [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am really dead set against term limits. We already have term limits. It's regularly scheduled elections every 4 years. If you don't like the bum, then throw him out!!

Term limits are crutchs for weak minded, lazy voters. Unfortunatly, that makes up the majority of voters now-a-days. And from that I can see how term limits are appealing. But I still don't like them.

View Quote

Yeah, just like guard rails along the side of the road are for weak minded, lazy drivers.

Like a firearms safety is for weak minded, lazy shooters.

I beleive term limits are the BEST way available today to get America back on track.

Long-term politicians make TOO MANY friends, too many allinaces that form the basis of their voting in later years. Such that they vote out of obligation to special interests rather than in accordance with the Constitution, out of principle.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
putting the "legality" of income taxHave a NATIONAL holiday, where no one (~) works.
On this day, pay your taxes before noon, in person.
VOTE in the afternoon.

this way there is no excuse for not voting. and the buttreamin' you just took via taxes will be very fresh in your mind as you vote.
View Quote

I love it!  The logistics would be hell, but it would cool if it could be pulled off.

And I second the idea that term limits are simply for the protection of idiots.  If you have somebody really good in office (it has happened at some point, hasn't it???), why kick them out early?  Use your fargin brain and your fargin vote to remove the fargin bastages that you don't want, not some please-protect-me-from-myself-mr-big-government BS like term limits.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree about the weak voter turnout, etc but, there is a need to remove corporate/special interest money from the elections.  Term limits should do it.  Can't keep putting your money where it won't be quaranteed a return.  Thomas Jefferson evisioned a part-time legislature but Congress found out it could be a lucrative profession.  Term limits if you please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top