Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2005 12:51:41 PM EDT
are these the same thing? is it free to download songs online, if i have to pay how much is it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
are these the same thing? is it free to download songs online, if i have to pay how much is it?

It is hard to find places anymore that have free music online. I'm sure if you know what you're doing, you'll find it. Otherwise most people use iTunes ($.99/song). An iPod plays MP3s but will not play other Windows formatted songs. I have an iPod and love it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

MP3 is a format for those music files. An Ipod is something that plays those MP3 files.

The 3 main ways you get songs are:

1. Convert your regular music CDs into MP3 format, and then put those MP3 files onto the iPod. You'll need a CD burner.

2. Pay for a subscription to a service like iTunes. Advantages are that it's legal, guarunteed good music files, and there's a big selection.

3. Use a peer-to-peer downloading program like Limewire to download songs onto your computer's hard drive. Then transfer those files onto your iPod. Advantage is that it's free. Disadvantage is that you technically aren't paying for music and you might accidently download something like a virus.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Got an iPod color 30GB for Christmas.

Got a question for folks that have been using one for a while.

I have been loading it up, using iTunes.
My questions:

1.)I've been loading songs (data CD's filled with mp3 files that I have been playing on an MP3 CD player up to this point) through my laptop onto the iPod.

The songs/files aren't being loaded onto my computer, correct? They're just going from the CD, through the laptop, to the iPod and not staying on the laptop, right?

So the library list on iTunes is just showing what will go on the iPod and what IS on the iPod, right?

2.) Can you change the names of the files. I have a shit-ton of mp3's I got from P2P, but some of their tags are different and it really throws off the listings and orgnization.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
SevenMMag, when you download a CD into your laptop your creating a copy of the CD in your library on itunes. Then when you plug in your ipod, itunes will then sync your ipod library to whatever you have on your laptop/itunes library. Clear as mud??
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SevenMMag, when you download a CD into your laptop your creating a copy of the CD in your library on itunes. Then when you plug in your ipod, itunes will then sync your ipod library to whatever you have on your laptop/itunes library. Clear as mud??

That's for an audio CD though, not an MP3 cd, correct? IN the case of an audio CD iTunes has to convert to format to be usable on the iPod.

What about when you have a CD filled with MP3's. They're already compatible. Does it just add the files names into the library (but not the actual files) until you sync them to the iPod? Meaning they don't actually get put or stay on the PC's HD, right?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
allofmp3

+1

Been a member there for over a year and it's definitely the right pricing to attract someone like me who never buys CD's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's for an audio CD though, not an MP3 cd, correct? IN the case of an audio CD iTunes has to convert to format to be usable on the iPod.

What about when you have a CD filled with MP3's. They're already compatible. Does it just add the files names into the library (but not the actual files) until you sync them to the iPod? Meaning they don't actually get put or stay on the PC's HD, right?

Actually, the files are still copied to your HD then put onto your iPod. As for tags, Google a prog named "Tag & Rename". If you're anal like me it'll save you ALOT of grey hairs.rocko.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually, the files are still copied to your HD then put onto your iPod. As for tags, Google a prog named "Tag & Rename". If you're anal like me it'll save you ALOT of grey hairs.rocko.

Does it work with iTunes or is it a separate program?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the 30G with video screen for the wife.We both love it!Way easier than jacking around with CD's

Think of it like carrying an entire music library with you where ever you go.I think ours holds like 7,500 songs

We put all of our Cd's on there and bought some of the newer stuff off of Itunes.Really satisified so far!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.allofmp3.com/

Wow, stuff is pretty dang cheap there.  Haven't heard of that place before.  I wouldn't mind paying for the music at those prices.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What's with all the Russian?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a not-entirely-legitimate site based in Russia.

I'm a member!

I love my iPod. I'll admit to being a bit miffed that iTunes converts MP3's to the iPod format, but that's not a big deal for me tight now. I can always burn to CD if the need arises.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MP3 is a format for those music files. An Ipod is something that plays those MP3 files.

The 3 main ways you get songs are:

1. Convert your regular music CDs into MP3 format, and then put those MP3 files onto the iPod. You'll need a CD burner. Only need a CD ROM or DVD ROM no need to reburn files to a CD thus a CD Burner is not needed. iTunes will convert music CDs into MP3 format and upload them to the iPod.

2. Pay for a subscription to a service like iTunes. Advantages are that it's legal, guarunteed good music files, and there's a big selection. iTunes is  NOT a subscription service like the new Napster is. You pay per song, not per week/month/year. A coworker used napster for a while until napster "stopped offering" some of the songs he downloaded. Suddenly he couldn't play them anymore.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm a member!

I

Ahh, I was wondering how those prices were so cheap, now I understand.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an IAudio M3, I love it!

It has a better SNR than ipods and plays wmv, FLAC, ogg or anything else. Comes with a remote and has longer battery life! Oh yea, and it retains your file structures and doesnt scramble them around like ipods do. They are also cheaperin cost, yet they are better made. They are metal front and back. Oh yea, they are also smaller. Oh and the new x5 plays movies too.

oh, but the Ipod makes you a better person

newegg.com has em for sale. They have 30gb and 60gb versions
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What's with all the Russian?

upper left corner click eng. for english text.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a member!

I

Ahh, I was wondering how those prices were so cheap, now I understand.

Is it legal to download music from AllOFMP3.com?

All the materials in MediaServices projects are available for distribution through the Internet in accordance with license # LS-3М-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license terms, MediaServices pays license fees for all materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All materials are available solely for personal use and must not be used for further distribution, resale or broadcasting.

The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on allofmp3.com

long time user here.

caveat: the first time you use your credit card to fund your account, you may get a call from your CC company to verify the charge....don't be alarmed.

I suggest scrapping iTunes and using anapod explorer
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I went and checked out allofmp3 cool site. I cannot read russian, but the prices are good. Any who is a user, no problems with your credit card? Files clean?(no virus/spyware). Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I went and checked out allofmp3 cool site. I cannot read russian, but the prices are good. Any who is a user, no problems with your credit card? Files clean?(no virus/spyware). Thanks

try clicking the "english" link

no CC problems
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I am thinking about getting an iPod, but I have a question. Can I take DVDs and transfer them to my iPod? The guy at the iPod store told me to go to a website called versiontracker.com(?) and there should be software there.

Anybody know?

96Ag
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Looked at allofmp3.com and tried a sample of Keith Urban. It sounded like they taped it from a radio station. Sound quality is really low. How are they sounding from the people who have used this service? Quality at CD quality or is it lower?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am thinking about getting an iPod, but I have a question. Can I take DVDs and transfer them to my iPod? The guy at the iPod store told me to go to a website called versiontracker.com(?) and there should be software there.

Anybody know?

96Ag

yes you can put video on the new iPods. You'll need to get some software to optimize the video, but it's fairly easy

I don't want to spam this thread, but I have a brand new 30 gig video iPod for sale in the EE if anyone is interested
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

I just got the 60 gig video ipod for graduation. Have been using the software above to convert videos. Have to be careful, some of the higher bitrates don't always work; haven't yet been able to get my Band of Brothers rips onto it.

Did put all my cooking shows on it..that's damned useful.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Looked at allofmp3.com and tried a sample of Keith Urban. It sounded like they taped it from a radio station. Sound quality is really low. How are they sounding from the people who have used this service? Quality at CD quality or is it lower?

you listened to the preview.

You can download  320 kbps MP3 if you want

ETA from the site:

Online Encoding is a unique technology developed by AllofMP3.com, allowing our users to download high quality audio files in the format and bit rate of their choice. Also, we've come up with several ingenious technological solutions that allow us to charge a minimum for such downloading.

With Online Encoding, you can choose the file format (MPEG-1 Layer 3 - MP3, Windows Media Audio - WMA, Ogg Vorbis - OGG, MusePack - MPC, MPEG-4 AAC, etc.) and quality of a song you want to download. We offer a wide choice of encoding formats and bit rates for any audio player: from an MP3player to a sophisticated acoustic system.

Why don’t we simply offer pre-encoded MP3 files at a standard 192 Kbps bit rate? We believe it's worth giving you the option to get audio files in the quality and format of your choice rather than restrict it to some standard quality to save everybody’s time.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought an Ipod shuffle becuase it was stripped down small and easy to use. I mainly use it for running.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I see they charge you by the song or album. Do they charge more for the higher bitrate downloads? I see the albums are running about $1.50 or so, how much is 1 song???
Thanks ahead for the help, I am in the process of registering!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I see they charge you by the song or album. Do they charge more for the higher bitrate downloads? I see the albums are running about $1.50 or so, how much is 1 song???
Thanks ahead for the help, I am in the process of registering!!

your typical 192 kbps song is about 15 cents

they charge $0.02 per 1 Mb
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#30]
what is the best rate? 192 or the cd quality??? What does Itunes normally compare to?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
registered and downloading now. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
what is the best rate? 192 or the cd quality??? What does Itunes normally compare to?

192 kbps is near CD quality.

320 is CD quality I think

I can't tell the difference between the two, but I'm sure there are people that can.

I think iTunes is 192
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#33]
got it, did the 192 and all is well!!!!!
Used the Xrost payment so i could use paypal. Didn't really want to use credit card. That also worked really well!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:54:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm a member!

I love my iPod. I'll admit to being a bit miffed that iTunes converts MP3's to the iPod format, but that's not a big deal for me tight now. I can always burn to CD if the need arises.

I'd be a little skeptical about giving any information to a "not-so-legitimate" Russian site.
How do you pay for the music from that site? Credit Card?

Upon further reading of their "explanation" it almost sounds like they just slap their site on a Russian based web server and "viola" they're a company based in Russia and can use Russian copyright laws to get around some of the industry BS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Is there a way to arrange the songs in your iTunes playlists to an order you want them in, or do you have to listen to them in the order iTunes puts them in?

If iTunes doesn't let you, does Anapod Explorer let you?

ETA: I see that you can drag the files and move them up or down in the play list, but some of them won't move. The ones without "!" next to them seem to give more problems but I am able to move some of them.

Is it the way they are moved into iTunes? Most of the songs I have in there I dragged and dropped into iTunes from a CD. I didn't do the whole import thing.

ETA2: Actually, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what you can and can't move...

Never mind... I figured it out. Arrange them by pushing the button to the far left of the categories... probably next to "name".
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's my question:

I just bought a new Harman Kardon AVR-240 receiver for my home stereo system.  It has what is called a "Bridge" that you can buy that allows you to hook up an Ipod to it and play it through the stereo system.  However, it says "Ipod" specifically but mentions no other player.

So, do you suppose any other player (like the Creative Labs ZEN or this other one mentioned here) could be hooked up to it so it could play through my home stereo?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Now my problem is moving songs into playlists. I thought it was working before, but it doesn't seem to be now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#38]
What about the Creative Zen Micro Photo (8 GB)?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Here's my question:

I just bought a new Harman Kardon AVR-240 receiver for my home stereo system.  It has what is called a "Bridge" that you can buy that allows you to hook up an Ipod to it and play it through the stereo system.  However, it says "Ipod" specifically but mentions no other player.

So, do you suppose any other player (like the Creative Labs ZEN or this other one mentioned here) could be hooked up to it so it could play through my home stereo?

You'll need an RCA audio jack plug (red & white) to 1/4 "headphone jack" style adapter to utilize it with your reciever. Attach it to one of the RCA input jacks on the back of the unit, and you should be set.  Can hook up anything with a headphone jack, computer, mp3 player, whatever.

Can be found for about 5-10 bucks, some products come with them. Any place that sells audio components should have them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my question:

You'll need an RCA audio jack plug (red & white) to 1/4 "headphone jack" style adapter to utilize it with your reciever. Attach it to one of the RCA input jacks on the back of the unit, and you should be set.  Can hook up anything with a headphone jack, computer, mp3 player, whatever.

Can be found for about 5-10 bucks, some products come with them. Any place that sells audio components should have them.

Should be able to hook it up to the auxillary input..no matter what the make...
Make shure you get a stereo RCA to phone jack adaptor and not the mono type.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Cool - thanks!

I think the Ipod Bridge thingie just allows the Ipod to gain the ability to have the HK remote work on it, as well as charging the battery at the same time.  I'd rather get a better MP3 player (like the ones listed here, or the Zen) for less $$ and still be able to hook it in to my home stereo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, just so's you know:
allofMP3.com isn't legal under US laws. So if the RIAA found out about it, the RIAA could come after (a US user) if they found out you had "bought" songs off it.

For that much risk, you might as well get them for free. Soulseek is one P2P that I haven't seen anyone get busted on yet. It's the torrents that people get arrested for using. In Soulseek, the IP addresses are routed through servers in a country where file-sharing isn't illegal. On a torrent, your computer's IP address is broadcast for anyone connecting to see.

Of course you might feel that downloading music you haven't paid for is theft--which it is. But the US music industry can suck mah nads. They tend to screw the actual artists, they already got busted for price-fixing CD's and giving payola to radio stations, and are now being investigated for trying to price-fix MP3 downloads.

Also what pisses me off the most is that places like Napster (the current legal business) and iTunes have all the top-40 crap, but all the music that never even got released on CD is still sitting in the recording companies' vaults on tape.

The (US) recording industry is based on an ancient business model that is doomed. Their "profit" is based on their control of shipping plastic disks into neighborhood record store displays, and that part of the process isn't even necessary anymore.
My meager dollars will not save them; you can spend your money as you see fit.
But do remember this:
The porn industry has profited more online than they ever did in print--and the porn industry has never made much of any attempt to control file sharing.
~
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#43]
clean file names are worth the $0.12 per song, IMO
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well, just so's you know:
allofMP3.com isn't legal under US laws. So if the RIAA found out about it, the RIAA could come after (a US user) if they found out you had "bought" songs off it.

For that much risk, you might as well get them for free. Soulseek is one P2P that I haven't seen anyone get busted on yet. It's the torrents that people get arrested for using. In Soulseek, the IP addresses are routed through servers in a country where file-sharing isn't illegal. On a torrent, your computer's IP address is broadcast for anyone connecting to see.

Of course you might feel that downloading music you haven't paid for is theft--which it is. But the US music industry can suck mah nads. They tend to screw the actual artists, they already got busted for price-fixing CD's and giving payola to radio stations, and are now being investigated for trying to price-fix MP3 downloads.

Also what pisses me off the most is that places like Napster (the current legal business) and iTunes have all the top-40 crap, but all the music that never even got released on CD is still sitting in the recording companies' vaults on tape.

The (US) recording industry is based on an ancient business model that is doomed. Their "profit" is based on their control of shipping plastic disks into neighborhood record store displays, and that part of the process isn't even necessary anymore.
My meager dollars will not save them; you can spend your money as you see fit.
But do remember this:
The porn industry has profited more online than they ever did in print--and the porn industry has never made much of any attempt to control file sharing.
~

but the odds of getting a coviction in court would be hard.

"your honor i thought what i was doing was legal since i was paying for the music."

or

"your honor i thought what i was doing was legal since i was paying for the music.
the site is located in russian and is available to me to shop from  so i thought i was doing it legally and not breaking any laws."

also there was a news report going around that the RIAA ask russia to shut them down and russian told them that no laws where being broken by allofmp3.com.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I downloaded Anapod... even paid for it.

Been reorganizing and renaming everything.

Question: Once you start using Anapod, if you sync with iTunes will it fuck up everything you did in Anapod?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I downloaded Anapod... even paid for it.

Been reorganizing and renaming everything.

Question: Once you start using Anapod, if you sync with iTunes will it fuck up everything you did in Anapod?

Anapod and iTunes will fight a battle to the death.

You need to set up iTunes so that it does not recognize the iPod automatically.

Do your sync w/ anapod
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Anapod and iTunes will fight a battle to the death.

That's what I was afraid of... I won't say I just spent several hours changing tags on pretty much everything that's on my iPod and then sync'ed with iTunes... that might make me sound really stupid.

How do you set up iTunes not to recognize the iPod and automatically sync with it?
You can still use it to buy music without messing up everything else on it, right?

ETA: Anapod didn't put up much of a fight. I should have asked before I did it... because everything I did in Anapod with the tags... gone. iTunes turned it all right back to the way it was the last time I sync'ed with it.

So now... let me ask you this. If I trashed iTunes, and reinstalled it, and then sync'ed with it, would it just load everything from the iPod to it, or would it erase everything on the iPod?

PS... This so fucking stupid. Why doesn't iTunes allow you to change the tags (title, album, author, etc)?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#48]
to change tags in iTunes right click on the song, select "get info" and change the tags. Then you can click the "next" button to go on to the next song

to stop iTunes from doing stuff automatically, click edit>preferences then click the iPod tab and check "manually manage." Also, uncheck "Open iTunes"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What about the Creative Zen Micro Photo (8 GB)?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Do iPods have the iTunes program built into them?

I just plugged mine into a "foreign" computer and I think it installed iTunes onto the PC automatically.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top