Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2006 9:09:05 PM EDT
I am considering getting a dog soon. i have hard wood floors in my home, which are in good shape as the previous owner did not have any animals. I am looking at getting a Black lab or a black great dane.
i know how hyper labs are and how much attention and exercise they need, i have heard that a great dane is more mellow, even in their puppy years.
what othe rinfo should i know about great danes?
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought we were going to talk about DK_Prof.

For dogs, I vote Black Lab, obviously.

Great Danes are good dogs, but have a terribly short life span....and some nagging health issues from carrying such a large frame. Just my HO.

PS, Labs aren't hyper at all....unless they're bred from idiot parents.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They're big, expensive to feed, don't live long, and have really big piles of poo..
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Say goodbye to the hardwood floors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
On average they live about seven years because of health problems. Never seen one that I considered bright, and most weren't what you would call "mellow".

You can find info on dog breeds at www.dogbreedinfo.com

May I suggest a Shiloh Shepherd? They live about twice as long, range from 120 to 160 pounds and are bred to be mellow. See www.dogbreedinfo.com/shilohshepherd.htm  and Chopper's Page

Also, they are quite a bit brighter than Great Danes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Big, goofy, gentle dogs with heart-breakingly short lifespans.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought we were going to talk about DK_Prof.

For dogs, I vote Black Lab, obviously.

Great Danes are good dogs, but have a terribly short life span....and some nagging health issues from carrying such a large frame. Just my HO.

PS, Labs aren't hyper at all....unless they're bred from idiot parents.

What ^ said. All labs are great. White, black, chocolate, all are loving and extremely loyal. Same goes for Golden Retrievers. Great Danes are great too, but their size is a detriment to their life span. Arthritis, hip dysplaysia, etc., have always plagued the Danes. If you don't want to have to explain to your kids why "Daddy has to put down the Dane", you may want to look into a heartier breed. (Sorry DK_Prof)

If you want a larger type dog, check out the Irish Wolfhound, Bloodhound, Catahula, etc., and for God's sake don't forget the GSD. There's a reason PoPo trusts the GSD w/ his life. They're great with kids too. I just gave my 5 year old nephew a Catahula/Black Lab cross puppy, and they're already best friends.

Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Big, goofy, gentle dogs with heart-breakingly short lifespans.

Just to be clear
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On average they live about seven years because of health problems. Never seen one that I considered bright, and most weren't what you would call "mellow".

May I suggest a Shiloh Shepherd? They live about twice as long, range from 120 to 160 pounds and are bred to be mellow. See www.dogbreedinfo.com/shilohshepherd.htm  and Chopper's Page

I agree, Shilohs' the way to go!
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a dane puppy now, we got her before I'd heard all the short lifespan stuff so it's gonna be tough  later on. These are BIG dogs. She's just over a year old now and is somewhere around 70-80 lbs. I expect her to stop growing at around maybe 130lbs or so by the time she's 2.

Molley is as bright as my GS puppy but vastly more hard headed. She's extremely protective and demands to be the alpha. I fairly often have to put her on her side on the ground and reinforce that 'I'M' the alpha. When I first started doing this it was a real fight (she was only 35lbs then), now I only have to do it because she sorta half-heartedly is testing me. Doesnt' fight going down I just do it to reinforce that 'I'M' the boss. They LOVE being close to people, she'll quite happily sleep right next to me, snuggled as close as she can get.  

As far as the huge piles of crap? You can make a HUGE difference by feeding them high quality food. This up's your feeding bill but probably cuts the crap down by 50-75%, no joke. She'll go though a 35Lb bag of Natural Balance in 3 weeks or so (that's around $45/bag btw) Be cautious in what you feed the larger breeds. Some of the puppy foods give the dog too MUCH nourishment and if this is the case, the dane's can outgrow their joints which will give them problems down the road. Our vet had us use adult food for the dane puppy which will slow down their growth and keep it in sync with their joint development.

As a puppy, the first 9 months or so she was wild as hell, chewed anything she could get her teeth on and ran like a banshee for the sheer pleasure of it. Long legs so she can really cover some ground. At around 10 months or so though her wildness started to abate and over a 1 month period her hyperactivity dropped at least by half. It was startling.

These are BIG dogs (did I mention that the females can be expected to hit 130, with males going 170+) and they are working dogs. They thrive on exercise and simply cannot get enough human attention.

We got the dane and the GSD as protection for my wife as we live in the country. With that pair, God help any burglar/prowler that gets caught between them.

As far as the hardwood floors, you're gonna have to keep their nails cut short (same is true for ANY bigger dog) or they're gone.

Make SURE you get any large dog professional obedience training. You do NOT want to be trying to force 130+ lbs of dog to do something it doesnt' want to do.

I'm just hoping and praying that Molley makes it beyond the 7 years or so some people mention as being their lifespans
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am considering getting a dog soon. i have hard wood floors in my home, which are in good shape as the previous owner did not have any animals. I am looking at getting a Black lab or a black great dane.
i know how hyper labs are and how much attention and exercise they need, i have heard that a great dane is more mellow, even in their puppy years.

they are very mellow, but stubborn
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about great, but DK-Prof seems to be an ok guy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We got the dane and the GSD as protection for my wife as we live in the country. With that pair, God help any burglar/prowler that gets caught between them.

A friend had a Dane. When his house was burglarized, they also took the dog.

Make SURE you get any large dog professional obedience training. You do NOT want to be trying to force 130+ lbs of dog to do something it doesnt' want to do.

My 170 pound Shiloh Shepherd didn't require any training. If I do something three times the same way, he has got it, whether I was trying to train him or not. I don't really view a 130 pound dog as "large" anymore but your advice would be good for most people.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I have three great danes...now two full grown one one year old pup.....lovely dogs will tear up furniture and anything left laying around.....my danes are smart but have a goofy like manner where they "PLAY" stupid so that they can get away with a lot...they are very very lovable but will test you constantly......great dogs if you have time and patience....My roommates love them..I love the pup but I think my next dog will be a boxer or a black lab......take it for what its worth...and yes they crap huuugly....we had four but are other female died
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my dane, he is about 34 inches at the shoulder and 150+ lbs.  I had to put throw rugs on the hardwood, not because of nails but because they can seriously injure their joints in a slip and fall.  The dog does not test me, loves the water, loves the wife and daughters and is very mellow.  He is very intelligent and loves to "work".  There is a lot to learn about danes before you ever get one.  It is not a learn as you go type deal.  The things that you do to them as a puppy will impact their growth and lifespan.  I know he won't live forever and it is sad but they do love fiercly in the time that they are here.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the Shilohs.   Below is my Shiloh,  MAUSER.  He just turned a year and is 120lbs and 30 at the shoulders.  For comparison I'm 5'9'' 240lbs in those pictures.  He's loving to family but does not do well with other dogs (besides his older little brother a lab mix).  My niece and nephew can drag him around by the collar or ears,  pull his tail and try to ride him.  He doesn't mind a bit.  I'd trust him to watch them over most house sitters out there.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
+1 on the Shilohs.   Below is my Shiloh,  MAUSER.  He just turned a year and is 120lbs and 30 at the shoulders.  For comparison I'm 5'9'' 240lbs in those pictures.  He's loving to family but does not do well with other dogs (besides his older little brother a lab mix).  My niece and nephew can drag him around by the collar or ears,  pull his tail and try to ride him.  He doesn't mind a bit.  I'd trust him to watch them over most house sitters out there.  

shutter08.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/07/002/4F/FF/4D/1F/g8ykYkWjAUCg9PEDwjhzbRKfr64ikb5a0300.jpg

shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/08/009/6D/C3/C2/8C/IAq9FSnWRwWblJsPamXUuL65Y-uW+kel0300.jpg

You forgot to mention "serious babe magnet". You're married, so you are forgiven.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Danes are good family dogs, don't live long though as has been mentioned.
They are also suprisingly skittish for a big dog. They dont have much in the way of "balls" other dogs scare them easily. But this is a good thing if you have kids as the Dane is not aggressive.
Lousy for guard dog, except like any dog they will bark which is a good deterrent.
I would go for the Shepherd (GSD) a much better dog all the way around.
I love GSDs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shutter08.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/07/002/4F/FF/4D/1F/g8ykYkWjAUCg9PEDwjhzbRKfr64ikb5a0300.jpg

shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/08/009/6D/C3/C2/8C/IAq9FSnWRwWblJsPamXUuL65Y-uW+kel0300.jpg

You forgot to mention "serious babe magnet". You're married, so you are forgiven.

Absolutely.  There could be 100 other dogs at the pet store but mine's the only one people ask me questions about.  How old?  He's big for a German Shepherd.  Then I've got to explain to them he's not a German but a Shiloh. I'm really thinking about setting up a webpage and making business cards for him to answer everyone's questions.  I do walk him (on-leash) in a local park nearby and I've had many of 18-40 year old hotties stop to pet him and admire him.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Very lovable, BIG dogs.  It would be very important to mention they (in my experience) are terrified of lightening and thunder.  As a child, our Dane tore all of the screens off of the house trying to get inside.  They work themselves into a frenzy and lose their goddamned minds.  Just something to consider.

B_S
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
My mom has 2.

1 is average intelligence.

1 is dumber than a box of hammers.

I love them both.

I would not have a dog this large inside but that is just me.

I am "animals outside, people inside" kind of guy.

GD do have shorter life-span than many other dogs.  

If we are voting on what you get, I vote Rottweiler.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
another vote for the Shiloh shepherd - I can teach Rudy anything in about 15 minutes. He is seven months old and 90 pounds

12 weeks:

6 months:

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#23]
They have wooden paws.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had many a Great Dames..
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
another vote for the Shiloh shepherd - I can teach Rudy anything in about 15 minutes. He is seven months old and 90 pounds

12 weeks:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/rudy94.jpg

6 months:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/Guns/Rudyzm2.jpg

How did you discover them?

Where did you get him?

Have you ever seen a better babe magnet?
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Shilohs are good dogs, I have an Anatolian Shepherd I highly recommend you check into the breed.  Big, Strong, Fast, and very loyal..
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Good advice on the Dane.

I have a friend with a Great Dane, and let me tell ya..that is a whole lotta dog! It LOVED me for some reason and liked to hop and put it's front paws on my shoulder. Me being not too tall in the 5'6"(and 130lbs or so region) got used to the dog doing it, and learn to lean and catch the pooch. I was almost knocked my butt quite a few times!

If you have a large yard/some land to run the dog in, be prepared to use it. My friend who had the Dane had about 100+ acres and that dog ran and ran!

As a side note: the GF and I just got a British Bulldog puppy, and we love the darn thing to death. Too bad it also has a short life span(7-10years) and has loads of health problems like the Dane does.

however, the little wrinkler is cuter than all get and is a GREAT companion dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I am a Great Dane guy.  I'm on my 2nd.
The first one was a lab/great dane mix.  (size of a Dane, head of a lab), he lived almost 13 years, which is unheard of.  Phenomenal dog, very smart, very lovable.  His name was Kat, don't ask, got him from the pound at 1 year old.  Currently I have a pure bred, I got from the shelter.  His name is Goliath, which is a great name for a Dane.
He's pretty dumb, sweet and lovable, but dumb.  He barely likes me, but loves my wife, follows her everywhere.  

Danes are BIG.  They aren't huge heavy, but very big.  His Chest is 18+ inches off the ground, huge dogs, they take up a lot of room.  They don't really stay outside all day (too short haired and the like to be around people) but they need some room to run.  They can run, they can cover ground like a horse.  You need a big yard, and you need to walk them. They can't just be left, they love to be around people, they think they are people.  If you ignore them, they'll get mean, but let them be a part of your life and they are incredibly loyal dogs.  

Not great watchdogs, but their size tends to scare people.  Purebreds have those big mastiff jowels and they slobber, a lot, get used to it.  You have to wash the dog bowl every week or so.  Plus one to the guy who said buy good food, they poop a lot less.  Much more solid and better for them.  Figure a big bag every 3 weeks or so.  Vet bills can be astronomical, because they are big.  

Great dogs, I love 'em, wouldn't get anything, and yeah they work good as chick magnets.  Beautiful animals.  After a while all other dogs look small.
Goliath:

That's my 42" inch kitchen counter that he's  standing next to.  Like I said, big dogs.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
The wife and I are watching a friends 3yo, female Dane while they go home for Christmas.  They just got the dog after the State took it from the original owner for abuse.  She's a sweetheart although needs a lot of nourishment to bring her back to her ideal weight.  She just wants to stretch out in our king sized bed and avoid the three little dogs we have.  

(Should have seen the face of that male Chihuahua when he ran up on that first pile of Dane shit )
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

be prepared to buy a bobcat to deal with the meadow-muffins your "puppy" will leave behind him
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

12 weeks:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/rudy94.jpg

6 months:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/heron163/Guns/Rudyzm2.jpg

How did you discover them?

Where did you get him?

Have you ever seen a better babe magnet?

came down between giant russian terrier and Shiloh shepherd - after a bit more research - choose the shiloh...

Rising star shilohs - scituate RI - - - BTW Mauser pictured earlier and Rudy are half brothers - - their dad was a busy dog...

don't know about who gets the babes - Scooter...

Rudy...

Though Rudy has the equipment for the ladies - bitches that is...
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#32]
We had a couple growing up.  Great dogs for kids, generally.  Our two were VERY VERY nice animals - ours were mellow and would put up with my brother and I climbing on them and playing with them ALOT.

The do not live long and eat/defecate ALOT (quantity).

Not sure I'd go after one for a pet.  Think I'd look at the Bullmastiff if I wanted a big family dog.  The few I've met were equally nice dogs.

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#33]
growing up we had one. just like scooby do.. i swear.. big dumb and goofy but a good dog. when it got older it had arthritis in its shoulders. we'd give it percodans. when i had bad hangovers i would scarf up the percodans for my headaches..

they are not generally agressive but ours bit this guy once. we had a dobie though and the dobie got the dane going by barking at the guy and the dane jumped in while the dobie knew better. was actually funny to watch..

they don't live long though.. cant remember exactly how many years but not long..
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The wife and I are watching a friends 3yo, female Dane while they go home for Christmas.  They just got the dog after the State took it from the original owner for abuse.  She's a sweetheart although needs a lot of nourishment to bring her back to her ideal weight.  She just wants to stretch out in our king sized bed and avoid the three little dogs we have.  

(Should have seen the face of that male Chihuahua when he ran up on that first pile of Dane shit )

He was probably thinking: "DAMN, that' as big as me!"
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They're big, expensive to feed, don't live long, and have really big piles of poo..

And they like to chew trees, fences, furniture, etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they like to chew trees, fences, furniture, etc.

Mine never did any of that. The long lived thing is BS too, mine is 8 going on 9 and can still outrun my 4 year old Akita. If they are indoor dogs and treated well they live a good long life.

ETA, dustructive dogs are bored dogs and usually outside dogs who never get to see anyone from the family.

I walk my medium-sized (170 pound) Shiloh around a fair amount and meet other dog owners. I can't tell you the number of people who have told me about putting down their large breed dogs at young ages because of the hips. Bad hips -- that they are born with -- is a big problem in just about any large breed.

You got lucky. Anyone wanting to buy a large breed dog should take a good close look at the hip ratings of the parents.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#40]
i will have to get into contact with my local GD rescue. it would be nice if if i could be sure the dog is from of good breeding, as in good hips/health, but i guess buying a rescue dog i will not know untill it is too late.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i will have to get into contact with my local GD rescue. it would be nice if if i could be sure the dog is from of good breeding, as in good hips/health, but i guess buying a rescue dog i will not know untill it is too late.

Please look at the rescue option
for them it may be too late

After a day or two the "papers" and fancy parents wont matter.....

Proud parent of a North East Rottweiller Rescue & Referal # 849 "Buddy"
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#42]

OMG HELP MY FACE WON'T STOP GROWING!!

Cute puppy!

CJ
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I am a big Boxer fan.

They look sharp with a docked tail and cropped ears. They are very playful and intelligent. They are so intelligent that they are easily bored, and can cause trouble if they are not kept occupied.

The fact that they are eaisly bored means you have to make training creative and keep sessions short. Thye get learn quick, by 2.5 months my male would reliably sit and lay down. My female is harder to teach.

Boxers do well in smaller spaces, but you have to run them and play with them.

You may want to look into a Boxer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#44]
+ 1 to Wolfpack and BozemanMT for some good input on the Great Dane. I bred and raised Great Danes for just over ten years back in the late ' 60's early ' 70's. Though I don't agree with everything posted on this thread about Danes, I will agree to arthritis and hip dysplaysia leading to a shortened life span in the breed.

As for proper diet leading to longevity that is very true. Two of my Danes lived to 12 and 13 years of age by being properly fed and exercised. If your dog is taking too many dumps then it is eating too much. Large dogs make the most of the nutrition they get from their food just the same as a small dog. Feed a dog too much and you'll end up with a fat and lethargic dog.

I disagree that Danes are cowards. They are too big to be afraid of much, though I have taken in Danes that were abused by their owners and would cower just like any abused dog. A Dane will adopt an entire family and will protect that family if necessary. Trust me I have seen the results.

In one such case a big lovable, according to the neighborhood, Great Dane went after two Belgian Shepard's that attacked a 4 year old child in a city park. The Dane killed one dog and the other had to be put down because of it's injuries. The child was not a member of the Danes family. Definitely not a dumb dog. Until they are about a year old or so, Danes are very clumsy even staggering at times like a drunk, making them look dumb to some people.

Two of our dogs, Dagmar at 165lbs. and 30" at the shoulder and Kai at 195lbs. and 40" at the shoulder lived to be the ages mentioned above. They took all kinds of abuse from our kids and never a mean response from either dog. Dagmar had a litter of sixteen with one stillborn and two being put down. We had the pups housebroken at about six weeks and then off to get their ears cropped a couple weeks later.

We lived in Cherry Hill, NJ at the time and the Vet who cropped puppies ears for us lived 200 miles away in northern NY state and our kennel wagon, a '69 Olds Vista Cruiser was in the shop when the appointment date was due so we packed all thirteen pups in my '69 Corvette for the trip.

That was a fun trip with my wife keeping the pups out from under the clutch and break peddles and trying to keep the little gas butts entertained. With newly cropped ears and the pups full of drugs, the trip back was quiet to say the least. So if you want a Great Dane puppy start obedience training asap. I showed my Danes and had them trained for the shows as young as 2 months. I bought my first Dane because I loved the Breed. Don't believe all the negative hype about the Great Dane and follow your heart. You will love it. Fawns are the best of the breed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top