Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:05:13 AM EDT
i have been working contract engineering for the last several years and got a lead on a new job.  
I got a call Friday about 4:00 pm from an engineering company in the north east.  
It was from the head of the I&E dept.  the guy was named something like Samier Abodulahaka.  He spoke with a very thick mideast accent and wanted to conduct a telephone interview with me right then.  I told him I was unavailable and… then he interrupted me and said I must be up at work and have other people in the office and would not be able to talk to him.  He seemed very excitable and asked when he could call me back.  I said I could…  he interrupted me again and told me he would be calling me about 6:00pm cst (if that was ok?)  i said that was fine.  he hung up.  the little I talked to him this guy sounded arrogant and I don’t think it would be a good fit.  If I needed the job I may have continued to “entertain” the offer but.  As I have a job I don’t need to move half way across the country (from Texas) to work for a loud mouth rag head.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Leaving TX to go anywhere in the NE to work for a raghead would never be a good thing.  You made the right choice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As I have a job I don’t need to move half way across the country (from Texas) to work for a loud mouth rag head.  

I don't think it's really necessary for a bigot to move halfway across the country either.

You know, it's quite possible your interviewer thought highly of you as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you actually sure that it was a middle eastern accent? Could it have been Indian? You don't want to work for someone because of their accent? As long as you don't need the job it's ok...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As I have a job I don’t need to move half way across the country (from Texas) to work for a loud mouth rag head.  

I don't think it's really necessary for a bigot to move halfway across the country either.

i don't think my interviewer had time to form any opinion of me.  He was too busy interrupting me and hanging up without saying goodbye.  I called him a "rag head" because I was treated like I was wasting his time by not being available to talk to him.  All I have ever asked from any of my employers is they treat me with decency and respect.  In return I will try to get along with everyone.  I have worked with those I would call Moslem gentlemen, Saudi princes and everyone in between.  When they are nice to me I am nice back.  In the past when they have been rude to me I play the "be nice to the A-hole game" until the project is over.  

I won’t intentionally step in a  bucket of shit if i don't have to.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't think my interviewer had time to form any opinion of me.  He was too busy interrupting me and hanging up without saying goodbye.  I called him a "rag head" because I was treated like I was wasting his time by not being available to talk to him.  All I have ever asked from any of my employers is they treat me with decency and respect.  In return I will try to get along with everyone.  I have worked with those I would call Moslem gentlemen, Saudi princes and everyone in between.  When they are nice to me I am nice back.  In the past when they have been rude to me I play the "be nice to the A-hole game" until the project is over.  

I won’t intentionally step in a  bucket of shit if i don't have to.  

You're just a regular humanitarian. AR15.com's very own Archie Bunker.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If employers seem like dicks while you're interviewing, keep looking. They'll be far bigger dicks once you work for them.

Trust me on this.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have been working contract engineering for the last several years and got a lead on a new job.  
I got a call Friday about 4:00 pm from an engineering company in the north east.  
It was from the head of the I&E dept.  the guy was named something like Samier Abodulahaka.  He spoke with a very thick mideast accent and wanted to conduct a telephone interview with me right then.  I told him I was unavailable and… then he interrupted me and said I must be up at work and have other people in the office and would not be able to talk to him.  He seemed very excitable and asked when he could call me back.  I said I could…  he interrupted me again and told me he would be calling me about 6:00pm cst (if that was ok?)  i said that was fine.  he hung up.  the little I talked to him this guy sounded arrogant and I don’t think it would be a good fit.  If I needed the job I may have continued to “entertain” the offer but.  As I have a job I don’t need to move half way across the country (from Texas to work for a loud mouth rag head.  

I work with trading firms and broadcast studio.  They screen for org fit's by making 1st contact a little stressful.  This may be whats up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Play him. What have you got to lose?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If employers seem like dicks while you're interviewing, keep looking. They'll be far bigger dicks once you work for them.

Trust me on this.....

Oh yeah.  Listen to the man.  Or you'll be sorry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was from the head of the I&E dept.  the guy was named something like Samier Abodulahaka.  He spoke with a very thick mideast accent and wanted to conduct a telephone interview with me right then.  I told him I was unavailable and… then he interrupted me and said I must be up at work and have other people in the office and would not be able to talk to him.  He seemed very excitable and asked when he could call me back.  I said I could…  he interrupted me again and told me he would be calling me about 6:00pm cst (if that was ok?)  i said that was fine.  he hung up.  the little I talked to him this guy sounded arrogant and I don’t think it would be a good fit.  If I needed the job I may have continued to “entertain” the offer but.  As I have a job I don’t need to move half way across the country (from Texas to work for a loud mouth rag head.  

I work with trading firms and broadcast studio.  They screen for org fit's by making 1st contact a little stressful.  This may be whats up.

that's a good way to loose quality people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#13]
You go Archie!!!

I would not work for one either, regardless of pay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You go Archie!!!

I would not work for one either, regardless of pay.

i am not saying i would not work for one.  i have and will again.  i like working for the good ones.  they are laid back and easy going.  as long as the work gets done they don't care what or how you do it.  most of the good ones see working in America as a vacation and a chance to get out of their oppressive Moslem country and they drink beer and go to strip joints almost every night.  but you get a bad one and they can make your life hell.  

at least all of them seem to have good hygiene and don't stink like the French and German engineers i have had to work with.  Christ.  one bath a week is good enough for some of these stinkys.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top