Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2008 8:35:04 PM EDT
I got a pair of 511 tactical pants and they do not fit me well. They seem too short from the crotch to the waist.

I was looking at some of the other tactical pants online like Tru-Spec 24-7 tactical pants or the Blackhawk Warrior Wear tactical pants and wondered if anyone here knows if they are made the same way as the 511 pants and are also short from crotch to waist.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go and get a pair of THESE , they will last a hell of a lot longer and are easier to find and try them out for fit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else like to chim in on this?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
One more bump
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just go and get a pair of THESE , they will last a hell of a lot longer and are easier to find and try them out for fit.

Im a construction worker and wear them every day. I had one pair that lasted 8 years until they finally gave up the ghost. this is one product where you get what you pay for. and can honestly say they have saved my legs from hot metal , sharp objects and an electrical flash from a distribution panel shorting out. they got schorched but my legs didnt.

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
another vote for truspec. i work construction and wear them all winter long. i've found them to be both comfortable, and durable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I love my double fronts, but they serve a different purpose than 5.11s or other 'tactical' pant.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I wear Ralph Lauren Chinos when I go to Western Africa and Kenya for business. Dockers will do the same I just like the Chinos.

I know they aren't all cool like a pair of 5.11 but they fit are durable and you certainly need a durable pant more in Western Africa than you need in freaking Wisconsin or Alabama. And tactical pants in Western Africa portray things you don't want to portray.

If I am visiting police or government officials I wear a suit which sucks at an unbelieveable amount.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I vote Carhartts too but I say look at the single knee version too.  Lighter, more flexible.

I don't know what "tactical" pants could do that Carhartts couldn't.  Even 5.11 aren't really designed as tactical pants.  They're a licensed knock-off of Royal Robins 'Half-Dome' climbing pants.

They don't fit you because the rise (between crotch and waist) is very short so a climbing harness doesn't get all bunched up in your junk. The weird "tactical" pockets are set up to accommodate climbing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the Riggs cargo pants with the reenforced knee.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#11]
what kind of pants was will smith wearing in I am Legend
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
TruSpec 65/35 BDU pants.  Khaki, OD, Black, Blue,Grey... I like the Khaki and OD ones best.

They run about $30 a pair.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what "tactical" pants could do that Carhartts couldn't.  Even 5.11 aren't really designed as tactical pants.  They're a licensed knock-off of Royal Robins 'Half-Dome' climbing pants.

In the case of the Tru-Specs they offer pockets specifically designed to hold magazines, pockets specially designed for pocket knives, and wider belt loops that provide better support for a belt with a holster.

I went to your site and might get some of those pant (that's a sweet deal you've got on right now).

My Carhartts hold knives and good belts fine (Sometimes I have a holster set up on a separate molle belt anyway).  The pockets are a mixed blessing I guess.  I can't stand shit on my legs when hiking or doing something active but when doing some kind of work where I need lots of items handy it can be nice.
I realize these are "tactical" pants and because I'm not military I am probably not aware of the additional utility of all the pockets beyond how I would use them or can imagine them being used.
I'm into outdoor athletic activities, hiking, camping, adventure and a bit of preparedness.  I could see using the pants for 4-wheeling where it's nice to keep stuff handy.  Maybe for a bug-out if the SHTF.  Even then I'd be considering something w/o pockets so I had less crap on my legs.  The main reason I don't like crap on my legs is because I use my legs to move and crap on them makes that harder and costlier in terms of endurance.

I guess I'm rambling now but basically I'm not sure how useful the pockets are and it probably depends on just what you're doing.  In any case I plan on buying your pants.

How nice is the blended fabric one it's been washed a few times?

Link Posted: 12/26/2008 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought a couple pair of these:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear-acu-tactical-pants.html

So far I'm liking them quite a bit, but I'm not a tactical pants connoiseur.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Jason: what size 5.11 did you get?  I'm looking for a pair. . .  38 x 34. . .

I've had two pair that I had for over 5 years. . .I loved them. . .I bought the lightweight ones last spring (60/40 ripstop fabric) for the summer. . . I wanted to replace my older 5.11's, so I did buy the Tru-Spec's from LAPolicegear. . . they're ok. . .they don't have the slash pocket in the rear, which I liked for putting paperwork in, and the cargo pockets are a bit higher on the leg, which makes getting stuff out of them a bit harder when seated. .

Also, the little pocket is just a bit too small for my Motorola Q phone (Blackberry type phone). . .there is also no little "D" ring for your keys. . . they are heavy duty and seem to be well made. . .
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jason: what size 5.11 did you get?  I'm looking for a pair. . .  38 x 34. . .

I've had two pair that I had for over 5 years. . .I loved them. . .I bought the lightweight ones last spring (60/40 ripstop fabric) for the summer. . . I wanted to replace my older 5.11's, so I did buy the Tru-Spec's from LAPolicegear. . . they're ok. . .they don't have the slash pocket in the rear, which I liked for putting paperwork in, and the cargo pockets are a bit higher on the leg, which makes getting stuff out of them a bit harder when seated. .

Also, the little pocket is just a bit too small for my Motorola Q phone (Blackberry type phone). . .there is also no little "D" ring for your keys. . . they are heavy duty and seem to be well made. . .

I've got two pair of 36"X32".  If you want to trim up a bit and wear floods or cut most of your feet off you could buy them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#18]
SigTac Pants  Wait til they are on sale - I got them Buy One Get One.  Fantastic and comfortable pants - at least for Florida.  Not as heavy as 5.11s.  

When I want heavy pants I wear Dickies Workpants. Tough as nails and have a permanent crease. Like Badsholvelhead said about Africa - when I'm in Central America I wear the Dickies. Tougher than any pants I've worn and stay clean even in the jungle.  And you don't look like an extra in Hatari.  Actually they do look rather Hatari-like.  You don't look like an extra in Kingdom of the Sun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#19]
While we're (kind of) on the subject, what is a good pant that is NOT a cotton blend? I've worn 5.11s back when I was in law enforcement and I've had lots of surplus BDUs, but I'm sick of frickin' cotton. If it gets wet you're freezing to death, period.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the Riggs cargo pants with the reenforced knee.

And a heck of alot cheaper than 511

I love em, and you can find them at pretty much any menards.  Anyplace you can buy dimension lumber and ripstop cargo pants is cool in my book

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top