Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 4:57:21 AM EST
I have a 98 ford ranger while changeing the oil I noticed the head broken off the bolt of the passenger side sway bar It's just a long ~8" bolt I got a new set from moog and installed on both sides. great truck sets level now, Today I noticed it leaning and that the bottom bushing is worn out and fits in the whole of the frame instead of being on the bottom and one on top of the arm one is in the hole with the other on top. This only lasted about 6 months. I'm going to replace it again. I'm wondering If I did something wrong or if something else is createing this problem.

Can't draw buthis is how they are installed bushinge sandwiching the sway bar and arm with washers on the outside.
Bolt head
Washer
Bushing
linkage
bushing
washer
space tube
washer
bushing
arm
bushing
washer
Nut

Any ideas?

Thanks Snowman357
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:17:46 AM EST
There's gotta be a tutorial of that somewhere on the interwebz.

Not sure what the time frame was on the bolt fix and the bushing wear, but the latter could have been ready to go and you never noticed it, but now that you've worked on the suspension you're watching for those kind of things. All those steering and suspension parts will wear at different rates depending on road surfaces, speed, amount of turning, parts quality. As far as the order of your parts assemlby, I suggest finding a step by step on the web.

And my always standard final line....maybe a trip to the dealer wouldn't have been so expensive after all. Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:23:33 AM EST
It was worn out in the 6 months I installed all new bushings on the end links as well as the bolts.

Snowman
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:27:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 5:27:56 AM EST by puskrat]
Almost sounds like loose isntallation, unless, like you said, you can find the assembly order. There's all sorts of chit on youtube. most of it i find by looking at enthusiasts sites.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:35:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 1:36:39 PM EST by dave89iroc]
if installing new sway bar end links leveled out the truck, you need new springs, thats way they wore out/broke so quick, there should be no tension on the links(other then the nuts being tight) with the truck on a level surface

that is the corect order for installation
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:09:04 PM EST
Op is it a 2wd or 4wd? Are you referring to the radius arm bushings or sway bar bushings, sway bar doesn't affect ride height.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:25:07 PM EST
its 2wd this is what I did.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5371024_repair-stabilizer-bar-ford-ranger.html

The bushing that was worn out was the very last one put on in step six. I dont think it was loose I may replace it again to see what happens. If it happens again I think its time for somebody else to look at it.

Thanks Snowman357
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:57:38 AM EST
I replaced the broken end link on my wife's Explorer and also had the bushings get eaten up in a short time. The next time I did it, I tightened the link as far as it would go. Several years later, and they're still in good shape. If the bushings are not totally secure in the end link, they will move under load and eat themselves up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:11:54 AM EST
Thanks everybody getting a new one and will make sure it is tight.

Snowman357
Top Top