Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2010 6:45:56 AM EDT
ok everyone, since my maxpedition back pack got lifted suggest a new one for me!

I dont wanna spend stupid money I saw the LA police gear 3 day pack for 30 bucks but I feel that its probably junk.

Primarily going to be used for school but I will use it as a range bag as well.

bonus points if it can fit a broken down midlength AR.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ok everyone, since my maxpedition back pack got lifted suggest a new one for me!

I dont wanna spend stupid money I saw the LA police gear 3 day pack for 30 bucks but I feel that its probably junk.

bonus points if it can fit a broken down midlength AR.

Blackhawk 3 day 'assault' pack; works great for school (when I was there many moons ago), weekend hikes and easily stows my broke down AR.  I think my last one was right about 100 bucks with shipping.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Jansport

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Camelbak Motherlode. While it is built well I'm not sure if I can recommend it. I don't find the shoulder straps all that comfortable although I do have broad shoulders so that might have something to do with it. Also this is the "old" version and not the new 500D one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Avoid the tacticool backpacks if you're just using it for school.  I own an Eagle A-III and BHI 3-day assault pack.  Do not buy them, not even for camping use.  They're overpriced for what you are getting.

For "bang for the buck" I don't think you can go wrong with a good Kelty backpack.  

Edit:  try these two:

Kelty Reverb, on sale for $30. 1750 cu in.  It has a laptop sleeve which is perfect for school.  Also has water bottle pockets.  Note how neither of the significantly more expensive tacticool packs have either of these two features.

Kelty Redstart, $45.  A bit smaller, at 1600 cu in.  However, this has some back support in the form of a framesheet.  I'm not a huge fan of framesheets for camping packs, but seeing as you're not going on weekend assaults into the woods with this pack, it will work well to take some of the strain off your back.  I like the "shove-it" pocket on this pack, as you can stuff your rain shell or jacket into it while on the move ... no need to stop and open up your pack to do it.  Again, neither of the tacticool packs have this feature either.  

For the life of me, after several years of owning the BHI and Eagle packs, I am not sure that they are good for anything other than sitting in a closet.  They don't excel at hiking, backpacking or camping.  They don't excel at urban or school use.  I'm fairly sure I was hoodwinked by the tacticoolness of those packs, so I don't want you to make the same mistake.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Arc'Teryx Charlie pack.  Civvie/LEAF version of the ILBE assault pack.  Simple, sturdy, spacious, easy to hook up pouches or integrate into main ruck.  Quantico Tactical's got 'em in stock I believe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're .mil, check out the Oakley bags at US Standard Issue. They look cool, and are pretty rugged.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
RAPTOR pack
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
i found someone selling a TT multicam 3 day bag for like 95 shipped, looks brand new.

what do you guys think?

if nothing else I can just sell it later for what I payed most likely
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]
The Blackhawk Raptor and Three-day Packs can suck a dick in their old configurations.  If they are the new molle compatible they might be worth a shot.

I bought a 5.11 Rush-24.  Awesome pack.  There is a small pocket or pouch for everything.  With the Blackhawk bags everything just ends up in a big tangled mess in every compartment.

They make the Rush-12, Rush-24 and Rush-72 for your prospective time frames.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]

just found that on kifaru forums

100 bucks shipped with one of those side pouches.

what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
hurry before I pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#13]
and he just said he would do both side pouches for 115 shipped, what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd say by a cheap backpack for school and a backpack better suited to range use. Molle is very useful on a range bag but kind if silly on a book bag.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'd say by a cheap backpack for school and a backpack better suited to range use. Molle is very useful on a range bag but kind if silly on a book bag.

I would have killed for one of the gearslingers in college by Maxpedition.

I went to an all male school though, so molle wasn't tacticool pussy repellent.  Roll your own dice, but I really like the design if it fits you.  Oakley and Camelback ride way to hard on my traps if there is anything over 2-4 pounds in them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
How about this one?

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a the Voodoo Tac Tobago MOLLE Assault Pack. I've had it for about two months now and it has held up extremely well, I really like it,

Link
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Oakley Icon 3.0
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]
i think I'm going to take the TT multicam bag with the esstac pouch for the 100 bucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top