Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:22 AM EDT
"passing away" or simply "passed"  why can't you just say die or died?  is that so terrible as to come up with some stupid avoidance term?  somehow adding a few syllables makes it all warm and fuzzy?  a few months ago my grandmother died and this is all I heard from everyone "Oh she passed" "she passed away" I wanted to slap the shit out of them and ask "IS SHE DEAD?"

"special" when referring to mentally retarded kids.  another avoidance term.  it is an interchangeable term that just annoys me to no end "oh my kid is special so please be nice to him".  is it so horrible to just say "my kid is retarded, so be nice and stop staring at him like that".  

"Heavy" or "thick" instead of [technical term] morbidly fucking obese [/technical term]  -needs no explanation

why do people have such an urge to use alternate terms to describe something?  they mean the same thing in the end, so what is the point of using the touchy feely terms?

[/subpar rant]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]
add "bless your heart" to that. I hate that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]

>HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT WOMEN AND BE POLITICALLY
>CORRECT:
>
>
>1. She is not a "BABE" or a "CHICK" - She is a "BREASTED AMERICAN."
>
>2. She is not a "SCREAMER" or a "MOANER" - She is "VOCALLY APPRECIATIVE."
>
>3. She is not "EASY" - She is "HORIZONTALLY ACCESSIBLE."
>
>4. She is not a "DUMB BLONDE" - She is a "LIGHT-HAIRED DETOUR OFF THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY."
>
>5. She has not "BEEN AROUND" - She is a "PREVIOUSLY-ENJOYED COMPANION."
>
>6. She is not an "AIRHEAD" - She is "REALITY IMPAIRED."
>
>7. She does not get "DRUNK" or "TIPSY" - She gets "CHEMICALLY INCONVENIENCED."
>
>8. She does not have "BREAST IMPLANTS" - She is "MEDICALLY ENHANCED."
>
>9. She does not "NAG" you - She becomes "VERBALLY REPETITIVE."
>
>10. She is not a "TRAMP" - She is "SEXUALLY EXTROVERTED."
>
>11. She does not have "MAJOR LEAGUE HOOTERS" - She is "PECTORALLY SUPERIOR."
>
>12. She is not a "TWO-BIT HOOKER" - She is a "LOW COST PROVIDER."
>
>
>HOW TO SPEAK ABOUT MEN AND BE POLITICALLY CORRECT:
>
>
>1. He does not have a "BEER GUT" - He has developed a "LIQUID GRAIN STORAGE FACILITY."
>
>2. He is not a "BAD DANCER" - He is "OVERLY CAUCASIAN."
>
>3. He does not "GET LOST ALL THE TIME" - He "INVESTIGATES ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS."
>
>4. He is not "BALDING" - He is in "FOLLICLE REGRESSION."
>
>5. He is not a "CRADLE ROBBER" - He prefers "GENERATIONAL DIFFERENTAL RELATIONSHIPS."
>
>6. He does not get "FALLING-DOWN DRUNK" - He becomes "ACCIDENTALLY HORIZONTAL."
>
>7. He does not act like a "TOTAL ASS" - He develops a case of "RECTAL-CRANIAL INVERSION."
>
>8. He is not a "MALE CHAUVINIST PIG" - He has "SWINE EMPATHY."
>
>9. He is not afraid of "COMMITMENT" - He is "RELATIONSHIP CHALLENGED."
>
>10. He is not "HORNY" - He is "SEXUALLY FOCUSED."
>
>11. It's not his "CRACK" you see hanging out of his pants - It's "REAR CLEAVAGE."
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
And when did "Midget" become a bad word?  Now I's suppose to say "little person" or "dwarf".

Isn't a "dwarf" a mythical fantasy creature who plays with the forest fairies?

fuck me.  Makes me want to become a professional dwarf toss champion
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#4]
no those are vertically challenged persons.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell, now we can't even say the word "caveman" around certain people.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
The segregation unit in my inst. is officially known as the "Special Needs Unit"

'Doesn't change anything... It's still "Seg."... the "Digger"... the "Hole"... the "Dungeon" etc...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#7]
How about "Progressive" for "Commie"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm tired of all this politicaly correct horse shit too.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
You say passed away because everyone isn't a hardass like you and you WILL hurt some feelings needlessly if you say die.  Wouldn't it be a hollow victory to use the word 'die' and make some mourner cry even harder?  Civilized people care about the feelings of others and do all they can to comfort them in their time of mourning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You say passed away because everyone isn't a hardass like you and you WILL hurt some feelings needlessly if you say die.  Wouldn't it be a hollow victory to use the word 'die' and make some mourner cry even harder?  Civilized people care about the feelings of others and do all they can to comfort them in their time of mourning.

but they mean the exact same thing!  how does calling it by another name make it any less hurtful?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget God, instead of just saying imaginary-all-powerful-being-that-demands-to-be-worshipped-and-have-His-rules-followed-under-the-threat-of-eternal-damnation.

Oh and:
- post nasal drip instead of nasty fucking drippy snots.
- BM or movement instead of shit, crap, dump, deuce, etc.
- Low income housing instead of crackhouse.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

TRH, While in many instances it doesn't make a huge difference, using expressions like 'passed away' when referring to someone's dead child usually avoids having the parent burst into tears.  

I had a friend who, as a surgical resident, hollered 'So where's the kid who shot himself in the head' when he entered the ICU to do a consult.  He was slightly uncomfortable when he realized that there were three family members no more than 4 feet away around the patient's bed.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"passing away" or simply "passed"  why can't you just say die or died?  is that so terrible as to come up with some stupid avoidance term?  somehow adding a few syllables makes it all warm and fuzzy?  a few months ago my grandmother died and this is all I heard from everyone "Oh she passed" "she passed away" I wanted to slap the shit out of them and ask "IS SHE DEAD?"

"special" when referring to mentally retarded kids.  another avoidance term.  it is an interchangeable term that just annoys me to no end "oh my kid is special so please be nice to him".  is it so horrible to just say "my kid is retarded, so be nice and stop staring at him like that".  

"Heavy" or "thick" instead of [technical term] morbidly fucking obese [/technical term]  -needs no explanation

why do people have such an urge to use alternate terms to describe something?  they mean the same thing in the end, so what is the point of using the touchy feely terms?

[/subpar rant]

Actually, the term your should be referring to is, "Child(ren) with Special Needs."  Which, more often than not does not refer to children specifically with mental retardation.  Mental retardation is a very broad term under which many many conditions fall. Not to mention the physical limitations any number of children have.

Typically, a conversation would go something like this,
Mother/Father:  "Oh, my son/daughter has special needs."
Other person:  "Is is physical or cognitive?"
Mother/Father: "Cognitive, he has autism.", or, "Cognitive, we adopted her and she has FAS." Or, "physical, he a cerebral palsy."

Yes, there is are a number of things that are, "sugar coated." and yes sometime people do take them them to far.  But there is a definite reason to refer to children as I described.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Actually, the term your should be referring to is, "Child(ren) with Special Needs."  Which, more often than not does not refer to children specifically with mental retardation.  Mental retardation is a very broad term under which many many conditions fall. Not to mention the physical limitations any number of children have.

Mother/Father: "Cognitive, he has autism.", or, "Cognitive, we adopted her and she has FAS." Or, "physical, he a cerebral palsy."

Yes, there is are a number of things that are, "sugar coated." and yes sometime people do take them them to far.  But there is a definite reason to refer to children as I described.

then why waste time and just say "My kid is autistic"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree.

My brother was a heroin addict, he died from an brain aneurysm.

"my brother had a drug addiction, he passed away"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Go make love to yourself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

then why waste time and just say "My kids is autistic"

Because not everyone has as thick a skin as you I guess.

Some people, especially parent of children who were recently dianosed with a disability are absolutely shell shocked.  There whole world is literally upside down.  Everything they thought life was supposed to be is out the window.  Nothing will be the same again.  Other friends and family don't understand.  

After time and figuring out how to deal with the situation, yes, often they are able to be more blunt about it, but for the time being, give the people a break man.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I hope all you "special" "little people" do not "pass" due to being so "thick" headed.  Sorry I just could not let that one "pass"

Man I love this forum!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

[/subpar rant]

Once upon a time, not too many years ago, in this nation, people were cognizant of 'manners'. They said "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me". It was a social etiquette thing.

In this vein, some words were considered 'vulgar'. Not obscene or dirty, but ‘crass’. In an attempt to avoid the 'vulgar' words and phrases, people thought it more socially graceful to use euphemisms which carried less impact. This was done not in an attempt to be politically correct, but rather to be less crass. “Dead” became “passed away”. “Lying” became “fibbing”.  

While I have always believed in calling a spade a spade, I usually try and avoid offending peoples’ sensibilities. It seems to me, in this current age, we have foregone the social grace to make any attempt to spare peoples feelings. We just blurt out what ever comes to mind first. While I refuse to buy into the ‘political correctness’ bullshit, I do try to consider the impact my choice of language has on people. Most people wouldn’t ask a Catholic Nun, “What the fucks up, Beeatch?” It’s just common courtesy. But…that’s just me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I hate when people say, "I respect that."  What they mean is, "You are a total idiot, but I can't actually tell you that."
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#23]
My favorite is "innaporpriate."  The use of that word with any action makes one feel dirty and outright wrong.  It is the PC nuclear bomb.  It gives no detail, but carries a lot of weight.  Conveys an air of superiority by the user.

Your behavior is "innapropriate."
   WTF did I do?

Your language is "innapropriate."
   WTF did I say?

Your manner if dress is "innapropriate."
    WTF should I wear?

Your actions are "innapropriate."
    WTF should I have done?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Two that REALLY chap my ass are when people preface something with...

"No offense" or "With all due respect".  What a load of crap.  People think that when they say those words gives them license to say whatever they want with no consequences.  Reminds me of one time in basic, when a kid who was all full of himself said something to the DS and started it with "With all due respect"....it didn't go too well for the kid.

R
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My favorite is "innaporpriate."  The use of that word with any action makes one feel dirty and outright wrong.  It is the PC nuclear bomb.  It gives no detail, but carries a lot of weight.  Conveys an air of superiority by the user.

WTF did I do?

WTF did I say?

WTF should I wear?

WTF should I have done?

my personal favorite to trap people with.  just respond "please elaborate on what would have been appropriate"  they usually get the deer in the headlights look and their jaw goes slack.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WTF did I do?

WTF did I say?

WTF should I wear?

WTF should I have done?

I CANT STAND when people say that.

Same for "that isn't nessesary".
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but they mean the exact same thing!  how does calling it by another name make it any less hurtful?

from a purely logical standpoint I agree.  But at some point in the development as a man, you may discover life is more than logic.   To some people, the number one rule in life is he who dies with the most toys wins.  On the other end of the spectrum, you have people who consider family more important than all the money in the world.  In between these two extremes you have all manner of people.  The process of maturing in life is to be able to empathize with another's situation.  Some people talk trash about security guards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#28]
TRH, YOU ARE A REALIST AND LIVE IN REALITY, most people are uncomfortable with reality as it demonstraits the obvious that can not be changed. this is the dis-ease (un-easiness) that has infiltrated our society.

get used to it, it will not change but only get worse as we, as human kind, continue our slow decent into extinction as so many other creatures that have passed (oh sorry DIED!) before us.

humans will become as irrelivant as the DO-DO bird or dinosaure. this is our time and we shall fade. IT'S CALLED NATURE.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"I am just gonna put in the tip." Fuck that I am gonna serve you the hole thing like I was drilling for oil.

dirty, dirty boy.

Had I not met you in person and heard about your obsession with "the shocker", I MIGHT think you were "fronting".  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#30]
You should have seen the peoples faces when they asked about my Dad shortly after his death and they didn't know about it

"How's your Dad doing?"

"He's dead, otherwise he's ok."

Also my brother has Down's Syndrome, and we have NEVER said he was "SPECIAL", we always just say "Oh, he has Down's Syndrome"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I hope for the sake of my kids, that when I die, the obituary says "passed away" instead of the probably more accurate"

"eaten NEARLY to death by wolverines, then expired after being dropped by a California Condor onto a highway and hit by a septic tank cleaner truck"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

[/subpar rant]

You answered your own question; they are avoidance terms.  In the first two examples you gave the situation requires 'coping'.  It doesn't hurt anyone to spare another persons feelings until they can cope with the situation.

However if you are talking about being PC as in your last example then I agree with you 100%.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That term is only used in the south by women who want to say something really nasty and viscious about another person but don't want God to strike them down with palpitations or something.

So, that explains why JW777 uses that term during ARFCOM debates.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/subpar rant]

Once upon a time, not too many years ago, in this nation, people were cognizant of 'manners'. They said "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me". It was a social etiquette thing.

In this vein, some words were considered 'vulgar'. Not obscene or dirty, but ‘crass’. In an attempt to avoid the 'vulgar' words and phrases, people thought it more socially graceful to use euphemisms which carried less impact. This was done not in an attempt to be politically correct, but rather to be less crass. “Dead” became “passed away”. “Lying” became “fibbing”.  

While I have always believed in calling a spade a spade, I usually try and avoid offending peoples’ sensibilities. It seems to me, in this current age, we have foregone the social grace to make any attempt to spare peoples feelings. We just blurt out what ever comes to mind first. While I refuse to buy into the ‘political correctness’ bullshit, I do try to consider the impact my choice of language has on people. Most people wouldn’t ask a Catholic Nun, “What the fucks up, Beeatch?” It’s just common courtesy. But…that’s just me.

There it is, in a nutshell.

AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top