Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 8:07:54 PM EDT
I don't think I have ever ranted before.... but I am feeling the need tonight.

Why are some people so stupid?  
How can you have a
1. $1600 a month house payment
2. $370 a month for 5 years on a Kia $8000 car
3. $buy a new mustang Cobra with all the cash your parents left you
4. already have a Suburban you are paying on
5. have a new Motorcyle
6.  be laid off your $120K job, be unable to find a job, and have to take a job that pays $15 an hour  
7.  get $40K in severance pay
8.  Take that severence pay, and not pay off any of the above listed debt, but what do you do?   Buy a brand new chevy 4wd truck.
9.  Don't have an extra day's worth of food in the house.  In fact, have no food in the house, as you eat out every meal.

And worst of all, these people are my family and if they ran into trouble, would end up at my house 1st thing.  I would have a good mind to say... GO EAT YOUR CARS
––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Does it make anyone else mad, that while you are saving and trying to live debt free, living within your means so that you won't be dependent upon others... that these people are living it up and wasting everything they make... even though they make 4x what you make, but you know they would turn to you and beg if they ran into the first bit of trouble?

Especially when it is your family that you have tried to talk sense into time after time after time after time................AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

/rant off

Anyone feel this way sometimes?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Go read "Boundaries" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend its how to deal with knuckle heads in your family.  Best book I've read on family relationships.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

I have employees that make half of what I do with new cars, house, and STUFF.  Rationally, I know that they are frigging crazy or ignorant to have so much debt.  But, simple envy......impatience....whatever makes me want to buy a new rifle, the computer that my kids want, the lumber to fix my house, a new car for the wife.

Instead we have a paid off 2000 minivan, paid off 2002 Ranger, and only the mortgage, student loan, and a signature loan for $1500 for debt.

It is frustrating to do the sensible thing sometimes.

I just keep trudging on.  Christmas looms every year and people talk about all of the things that they will buy others.....I can't do it, won't do it.  

Chin up, my man.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Go read "Boundaries" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend its how to deal with knuckle heads in your family.  Best book I've read on family relationships.

for example?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
since this is a stupid people rant thread im going to add that im fucking sick of people using the term "so it begins" with every damn Obama or .gov thread out there.

SHIT HASNT FUCKING BEGUN!! shit has already began, not just now starting!!!!!

if that makes any sense.  im just sick of the one liners who post "so it begins"
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I know of more than a few people like that. Its when I here we have to keep people like that in their house and use tax payers money to do it that I want to puke!

When I here the liberals putting the blame on the banks credit card companies etc  for these peoples problems I get pissed off. The unfortunate part is many will be prudent and end up in a tough situation and they will have to wait in line for help behind a lot of idiots like that who spend many times beyong their means and don't care.

Red
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
since this is a stupid people rant thread im going to add that im fucking sick of people using the term "so it begins" with every damn Obama or .gov thread out there.

SHIT HASNT FUCKING BEGUN!! shit has already began, not just now starting!!!!!

if that makes any sense.  im just sick of the one liners who post "so it begins"

How about the term "it has begun"?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
the sad thing is i wish i made $15 an hour, i make well less 2/3 that amount.

but i own two vechicals outright, paid cash for both(beaters, but none the less), pay my car insurance a year at a time, pay my rent and cell phone bills on time monthly, use my credit card only to purchase off the net and for convienence things i already have the money for(if i don't already have the money in my account, i don't buy it), i have several months worth of food(guestimating 6+) and a goodly amount of bullets bandaids and other possiblly useful s.h.t.f. useful accutriments, in addition to a bit of cash on hand and nearly two years worth of my current wage in the bank(between savings, cds, and an ira. granted a large chunk of it did come from a small inheritance but i haven't squandered it, and what i did spend i spent primarilly on guns, so good resale value if neccessary). for the most part i am very comfortable living a simple and modest almost spartan lifestyle, and so live fairly comfortably with-in my meager means.

i grew up fairly poor by american standards though(my folks did always manage to get food on the table but often that was it). in my late teens early twenties i spent a lot of time hanging out with a bunch of punk rockers, crashing on couches & floors and living sometimes in my truck regardless of the season. i partyied or just hung-out far more than i worked, and because of it, was content to be content with my conditions. i even resorted to eating out of dumpsters a couple times(luckily i had a lot of freinds in the restraunt industry so i got hooked up at a lot of places), because i only wanted to work two days a weeks and spend all my money of booze, cigerettes, and a little gasoline, i didn't much care about anything else. now i guess i'm rambling, but my point is my folks taught me to always find a way to make do and find a way to make what i had cover what i needed or to learn to do without.

there is always a way to provide for yourself and those you are responsible for, if you are willing to make the effort. the alternative is to become complacent(which i used to be) and just accept what you have. in the case of the latter you have NO reason or authority to bitch, whine, or complain about your slef contrived plight. i used to live with-in my means and have practically nothing, but was content. i still have little(at least in the way of the material trappings as far as many americans are concerned) but am quite happy and financially much better off than many(comparitivelly speaking and with-in my current means), living off of less than some whom recieve government assistance.

my friend, we're i you, come "bad times" and the free spending family show up at my place, i most likely tell them to eat something less appetizing than their vechicals...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top