Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 3:26:42 AM EST
Yesterday, I came home to find a bunch of fire trucks in my parking lot. My apartment is ablaze. When they get the fire out , and I can get in and inspect the damage a cop says he has been told that I have firearms and that he would have to secure them until I can safely transport them off of the premises. What is the reasoning behind this? Any ideas? maxxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:28:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 3:31:24 AM EST by cyanide]
He wants to run them -- see if they be stolen

He did not want the neighbors to rob you

He wants to see if your allowed to own firearms

A lot of things.

edit : Arent you the guy that almost killed his neighbor with a ND ???

Maybe he is just trying to saves lives --------------
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:30:26 AM EST
Why not safely transport them off of the premises right then?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:31:28 AM EST
What are the Ohio laws for having firearms locked in your trunk?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:32:32 AM EST
I'm confused.

He is going to keep them from being stolen by someone else until you can transport them. What's the problem?? Did he deny you access to them, or something??

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:35:21 AM EST
Heres a thought on this:

The fire scene is technically owned by the fire company til they turn control of the scene back over to the owner, or in this case, you. Having the officer secure the weapons takes the liability for maintaining security of the weapons off the fire guys between the time the fire is out and the scene is returned to the owner.Even if they are allowing you back into the premises to check for stuff, they may still technically have possession or control over the scene and don't want to be accountable for the weapons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:38:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By maxx68:
...he has been told that I have firearms...

Was the Gun Fairy whispering in his ear?

That part seems odd.

So, did you immediately secure them yourself in you car?

We're gonna get an update, right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:41:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 3:58:04 AM EST by rn45]
It's a good thing this wasn't the home of some other ARFCOMERs or there might have been a huge ammunition explosion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:42:28 AM EST
He didn't deny me access to them, but he had to stay in my apartment with my guns until I was ready to leave. I just thought it was a little odd. And yes Cyanide, I did have a ND and no I didn't almost kill my neighbor. I have already been punished for that, so it should not be brought up at a time when I am under the stress of losing almost everything I own. Instead of opening up old wounds, please take time out to pray for my family and for the souls of my beloved cats and my beautiful bird who perished in the fire. maxxxxxxxxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:44:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By DrMark:

...he has been told that I have firearms...

Was the Gun Fairy whispering in his ear?

That part seems odd.

So, did you immediately secure them yourself in you car?

We're gonna get an update, right?

He had a post where he had a ND --- where the bullet went into the neighbors living area.

I'm sure that the whole neighborhood knows he is armed and dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:55:06 AM EST
Cyanide,

There's a time and place for everything. THIS AIN'T IT!!!!

Maxx,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers coming.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:57:02 AM EST
cynide...take a fucking breath and breath a bit. At least give the poor man 24 hours to collect himself.

Im very sorry sir for you loss. Prayers inbound.

On a lighter note: Was the officer an ATF agent?

(Must a been a rookie...burnt an apartment and a cat...not the house and dog.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:59:26 AM EST
The fireman told him that he saw my bedside safe and that I probably had a gun in there. I guess that the fire crew would feel a lot safer knowing that an officer had control of the weapons until they left. The officer wouldn't let me move them to my car until the firemen were out of the building. I guess in hindsight it really does make sense. P.S. Cyanide, isn't it a little early in the morning to be a dickhead?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:01:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:02:00 AM EST by badeffect10]
Was it your apartment that was actually on fire or was it water damage? How much damage did it do? Were your guns okay? Sorry to hear about your loss.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:01:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:01:57 AM EST by wedge1082]

The fireman told him that he saw my bedside safe and that I probably had a gun in there. I guess that the fire crew would feel a lot safer knowing that an officer had control of the weapons until they left. The officer wouldn't let me move them to my car until the firemen were out of the building. I guess in hindsight it really does make sense. P.S. Cyanide, isn't it a little early in the morning to be a dickhead?

What did the fireman think you are going to shoot the people trying to put out the fire that is burning your home?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:03:28 AM EST
Thanks for the posts of support guys, it means a lot to know that there are guys out there that care. maxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:05:53 AM EST
Perhaps ther are afraid that someone coming home to a fire sceen may be distraught(sp?). So could they be securing the weapons until they know that you have had a chance to settle down?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:18:58 AM EST
Update, I just got off of the phone with the owner of my apartment, he says his insurance adjuster put the structural damage at $22,500 . It appears that I will be able to salvage some of my cds and most of my wife's doll collection. Other than that, it's a total loss. Everything is coated with thick sticky soot and ash. Thank God for renters insurance. maxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:22:52 AM EST

Update, I just got off of the phone with the owner of my apartment, he says his insurance adjuster put the structural damage at $22,500 . It appears that I will be able to salvage some of my cds and most of my wife's doll collection. Other than that, it's a total loss. Everything is coated with thick sticky soot and ash. Thank God for renters insurance. maxx

Let this be a lesson to anyone who does not have it. It is so cheap to get and you are a fool not to have it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:24:36 AM EST
Any word on what started the fire? Did it start in your apartment or spread to your apartment.

At least your family is safe, that's what really counts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:24:53 AM EST
He wanted to be there until you left with them to avoid the firemen getting charged with theft.

Firefighters for a long time have had the nickname of "Forty Thieves" because they steal a lot. Guns, jewels, and coins are tops for them to take. By being there he protects you from theft and them from a false theft charge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:25:09 AM EST

well think of it this way at least you'll be getting new stuff now
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:25:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By wedge1082:

Let this be a lesson to anyone who does not have it. It is so cheap to get and you are a fool not to have it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:31:30 AM EST
Thanks Happy Shooter, that really makes sense. I guess there are a lot of reasons for the police to take control over the property. For info, the fire is being blamed on my electronic components. The fire was completely confined to my unit, with minor water damage to the unit below mine. There were no residents home at the time of the fire, so no people were injured. maxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:32:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:32:51 AM EST by repub18]

Thanks Happy Shooter, that really makes sense. I guess there are a lot of reasons for the police to take control over the property. For info, the fire is being blamed on my electronic components. The fire was completely confined to my unit, with minor water damage to the unit below mine. There were no residents home at the time of the fire, so no people were injured. maxx

were you able to get into your safe??
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:38:40 AM EST
Did the cop tazer your safe?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:49:53 AM EST
Yes, I was able to get into the safe. No guns were harmed in the making of this film, haha. It wouldn't have been a major loss anyhow. All I currently own are 2 Marlin model 60 22lr rifles and a RIA 1911 GI model. All are safe, thankfully. maxx
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:57:49 AM EST
Top Top