Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 7:13:25 AM EDT
Well, finally picked a bandwagon to jump on, and this is it. I'm starting my second week on the Body for Life program today...in fact I'm writing this as I'm downing a Myoplex Deluxe. Guess you could say I'm going all out....have the myoplex deluxe nutrition drink for 3 meals each day, doing the BetaLean HP metabolism enhancer twice a day, five days a week. I'm also doing a combo glutamine/workout recovery supplement and creatine delivery system after each workout.

Guess I got tired of the 320lbs listed after my height of 6'3". Well, that and hauling it around all the time. Not to say I'm a complete couch potato...I usually put in a good hour or two on the tennis court with a friend who's a fitness nut/rock climber, and I more than hold my own. I can definitely say two things. I'm really getting into this program, mostly because it's an excellent balance of regiment and choice. You know in general what to eat, and how much of it to eat, but you've got a whole list of available foods to choose from. You know when you workout, and how you work out, but you've got a huge choice of exercises.
I can also say it is a PAIN to get used to...not fun spending an hour a night preparing your meals for the next day. or getting up at 5am to get to the gym, work out, and be at work right before 8am...

I can also say that after one week, I've noticed no physical change, but I've noticed a number of non-physical changes. Enough to me to say that the program is working. Another good thing about it is that there is a very big MENTAL aspect to the program, one which I think some other programs lack.

I was hoping that some of you workout gurus, or maybe if there are any who've done the program before, might be able to advise me on a certain area I'm having some trouble with...I'm having some trouble with my lifting program, more specifically in gauging the proper weight/intensity of the exercises. You're supposed to do five sets of a given exercise (12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 12 reps)....but you're not supposed to do anything 'to failure'. Like, I'll start at say 25 pound dumbbells doing bicep curls, and 12 reps will be easy. I'll up it to 30 for the 10, up it to 35 for the 8 and the six....but I could barely knock out six reps of 40 when I'm supposed to do 12. I don't recall that you're supposed to drop the weight...but if I tried to do something easier, I wouldn't feel the 'burn'. Any ideas on what exactly I should be looking for here? Also, can you vary intensities? I'm REALLY interested in bulking up my arms/chest area...but not my legs. They need more toning that muscle mass.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider the phrase "Body for life",It is your body and you'll have it for life,you abuse it,you lose it and the older you get the harder it is to get any where near the % of it you might have now if your in tiptop shape.As for your workouts,Do what works for you,But you must push yourself.That particular set/rep type sounds kinda intense for a newbe,12,10 8,6,*12 and last 12*unrealistic increasing weight as you continue.IMO.....
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill Phillips Body for Life is good in that it pushes strength training and diet instead of aerobics.  You don't need his over-priced supplements tho.  I also think the diets he perscribes will help a obese perosn lose wieght but are a bit low in calories for someone with decent muscle mass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, if you read the book he explains that people that are very lean and looking to bulk up will need to have more carbs than the diet of those looking to lose weight.  He recommends a carb and a protein at every meal for those looking to lose weight, and TWO carbs and a protein for those that are very lean.  My girlfriend and I have started this program as well, her to lose weight, me to gain.  We use some of his products, maybe one a day or less, but mostly just eat regular foods to get the protein/carb that we need.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thought I'd throw in an update on the prog since I noticed this thread popped back.

I have to admit, I'm not doing the Myoplex anymore. I'm kinda miffed at myself, but it's just too much. I'd have to put 32oz of water to make the Chocolate drinkeable, and around 40oz to make the Vanilla drinkeable....three times a day in adddition to the 120-140oz of water I drink....just too much. Still sticking with the food plan, the lifting plan, the BetaLeanHP metabolic enhancer, and the Creatine/Glutamine supplements.

Yesterday I finally got my butt on a scale, and went shopping for clothes to boot. I'm now weighing in at 302lbs, and a 44" waist, whereas before I was about 325 and between a 48 and a 50" waist. I've hit two of my three main goals for this program and I'm only 3/4 of the way done (lose 25 pounds, drop two waist sizes).

I followed the advice, regarding reps, and it was spot on...the last 12 reps at a light weight. Doable, and still you get a really good burn on the muscles, on which I'm getting some decent definition. Big thanks to you guys for the help!

And yeah, the generic diet prog is really more designed to do weight loss (which is my deal)....but I thought it was you double up on the protein if you were looking to bulk up....
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm actually doing both.  At 6'-0" and 175 lbs, I don't need to lose any weight.  I'm getting more carbs AND more protein.  Those Myoplex drinks really have a ton of both.  If you had a problem drinking the powder, try the pre-mixed drinks. They're the same price, and much more convenient.  I also drink protein fruit smoothies as well, there's lots of recipes on the web for good tasting ways to make it.
Glad to hear of your progress, that's awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top