Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 5:55:17 AM EDT
Question about the machine where they get food or drink, you know "Tea, Hot."  and it just appears, the "Atomizer" or whatever.  The stuff always materalizes with a ceramic cup or plate.  What the hell do they do with the dishes?  Wouldn't they start stacking up after a few hundered thousand uses?  

In that vein if they can materialize non organic shit why the hell do they have stores of spare parts or even phasers for that matter.  Just walk up to the "Atomizer" or whatever and say "Phasers, pistol, ten".  and voila!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Energy wastage.  The more detailed objects, such as phasers, can be replicated, but it would use more energy than it is worth.
The dishes don't stack up because they are recycled the same way other waste is: turned back to energy and reused.
I wish I have never thought out the process.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The food replicator works on similiar technology as the trasporter, it transforms matter into particals of energy, then back into matter.

In the technology theory(read the manuals in Jr High when I was a Trek geek), the dished, trash, and all(yes even human waste, is broken down into particals of energy to become food or a duterium storage tank, or what ever when it is needed.

so, to answer your question, the dishes are just disolved back into the computer, to become something else later.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's called a "Replacator" and it re-uses the "waste" on the ship to make things. In a nut shell, it breaks down the atoms of the "waste" and reorgaizes them into what ever you want to replacate. And yes, "waste" includes the stuff you flush down the toilet. It even includes the dishes, so you don't have to wash them, just throw them away and you'll replacate new ones as you need them. There are even replacators that can make weapons but ,normally , the ones in the crew quarters can only make food, drink and things that are "non-weapons".
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish someone would replicate me $100,000,000,000,000,000.00!  Is that asking too much? [:D]

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wish someone would replicate me $100,000,000,000,000,000.00!  Is that asking too much? [:D]
View Quote

Nope, but it WILL cost you $100,000,000,000,000,001.00 to develop the technology for you! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
So what happens if I order "Lips, hot"? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually one of the grips behind the scenes sets down a cup of hot tea and the camera man focuses on it........replicator schmeplicator.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually one of the grips behind the scenes sets down a cup of hot tea and the camera man focuses on it........replicator schmeplicator.....
View Quote

Doggonit!  I'll never enjoy that show again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Where the hell do you guys come up with this stuff?  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what happens if I order "Lips, hot"? [;D]
View Quote

[img]http://media.mth.net/jimmy_fr/v2/images/series/mash/levres_b.jpg[/img]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top