Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 4:06:08 AM EDT
ap.lancasteronline.com/4/katrina_convoy

STAUNTON, Va. (AP) - A deputy pulled over a convoy of New Jersey law enforcement officers traveling home from a Hurricane Katrina relief effort, sparking complaints from a New Jersey sheriff for the "grief" they received.

Augusta County Sheriff Randall D. Fisher defended the deputy, saying he pulled over the emergency vehicles on Interstate 81 after state police received complaints about their driving.

"They were traveling at a high rate of speed, people were being run off the road," Fisher said Thursday. The deputy "was basically asking the guys to cut their (emergency lights), slow down."

Some members of the convoy did not heed the deputy's order to pull over, Fisher said, and the stop initially was adversarial. But he said the New Jersey officers left amid handshakes and back slaps with his deputy.

"We pretty much thought it was the end of the story," Fisher said.

But the same day, New Jersey's Passaic County sheriff, Jerry Speziale, called the Augusta County Sheriff's Office and criticized the deputy's actions.

"If you think that that's not a disgrace, you should take the badge off your shirt and throw it in the garbage," Speziale said in the telephone call, which Fisher played for The Associated Press.

Speziale said Thursday that the vehicles in the convoy were using their overhead lights while driving in the left lane, but denied they were speeding or pushing drivers off the road.

"I stand behind my men," Speziale said.

He said Virginia police had pulled over other out-of-state officers also returning from Hurricane Katrina duty. "They did it to the NYPD. They did it to others. The pattern's not on our part."

Fisher said the deputy extended the professional courtesy of not ticketing the officers even though they were speeding at up 95 mph and, he said, forcing motorists out of the passing lane.

But he also said he could understand their haste: "I'm not defending anyone's actions, but I'm sure they were anxious to get home."

©2005 The Associated Press

WTF, 95 MPH in another state using flashing lights.

sure, we appreciate the help in NOLA, but sorry cops, you aren't above the law.
the rest of us would have gotten a ticket, if not hauled into the jail for the night for 95 MPH.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Dupage. This one has been flogged to death already.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Aww,C'mon! They're COPS! JERSEY COPS! That puts them above the law.Wish VA would have hauled them all in.FREAKIN' $#%%^^$@s!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=394925

I think there was another, as well, but it got trashed. Not sure.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Gracias.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link?

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=394925

I think there was another, as well, but it got trashed. Not sure.

Thanks, I didn't see the other thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm, does my password ,etc from here work on that site too?

I got no reply button.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
yup a duperoonie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I got no reply button.

Yes it does.  You just have to log into it again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
DUPE!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got no reply button.

Yes it does.  You just have to log into it again.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]
No shit we'd gotten ticketed.  I got busted for doing 81, in a 65.  No ticket just a court summons and, immidiate suspension of driving privleges in the state of VA.  

What does the Jersy Sheriff have to bitch about.  His guys did not get tickets, and I bet if a convoy of police form out of state was traveling at 95mph on the turnpike using there lights he'd have a coronary.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No shit we'd gotten ticketed.  I got busted for doing 81, in a 65.  No ticket just a court summons and, immidiate suspension of driving privleges in the state of VA.  

What does the Jersy Sheriff have to bitch about.  His guys did not get tickets, and I bet if a convoy of police form out of state was traveling at 95mph on the turnpike using there lights he'd have a coronary.  

For some reason New York and New Jersey cops seem to be really bad about this kind of stuff. For the longest time NY and NJ didn't let cops from other jurisdictions carry concealed, and didn't extend any common professional courtesy whatsoever. But they tended to behave as if they were at home in other jurisdictions, believing themselves to have some sort of entitlement.  

These guys are lucky that an Augusta county deputy pulled them over. A State Trooper WOULD have given them tickets for driving like that.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason New York and New Jersey cops seem to be really bad about this kind of stuff. For the longest time NY and NJ didn't let cops from other jurisdictions carry concealed, and didn't extend any common professional courtesy whatsoever. But they tended to behave as if they were at home in other jurisdictions, believing themselves to have some sort of entitlement.  

These guys are lucky that an Augusta county deputy pulled them over. A State Trooper WOULD have given them tickets for driving like that.

You know come to think of it, it was a State Trooper who pulled me over.  All blue uniform, Smokey the Bear hat and all.  Plus those really cool glasses.  He had no interest in hearing that I was in the service and anxious to get home on leave for chirstams.  Just signs here and we'll see you in 3 mos in the court house.  Thank you and have a good day.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You know come to think of it, it was a State Trooper who pulled me over.  All blue uniform, Smokey the Bear hat and all.  Plus those really cool glasses.  He had no interest in hearing that I was in the service and anxious to get home on leave for chirstams.  Just signs here and we'll see you in 3 mos in the court house.  Thank you and have a good day.  

You don't mess around with the State boys. Their sense of humor is removed in Academy, and isn't given back to them until they retire.

Usually if they give you the blue lights, you are getting a ticket.

Usually.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You got that right. I was riding in a patrolcar with my brother one night, and he bluelighted a NJ tagged vehicle, and the guy didn't even slow down, just rolled down his window and showed his badge.  "Oh, that motherfucker's getting the works!"
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
if there where donuts scattered on the highway, they would slow down
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't mess around with the State boys. Their sense of humor is removed in Academy, and isn't given back to them until they retire.

Usually if they give you the blue lights, you are getting a ticket.

Usually.

There is no messin round with the state boys. All business.

Although i was cut a break many years ago for 80MPH in a workzone. when he pulled up and walked to the door, I was sitting at 10-2 leaning foward just a bit, then pointed to the speedometer sitting on 40 MPH.

he got a good laugh and gave me a defective equipment ticket. I fixed it the next day and showed the judge and it was dismissed.

they do have a little sense of humor left.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Although i was cut a break many years ago for 80MPH in a workzone. when he pulled up and walked to the door, I was sitting at 10-2 leaning foward just a bit, then pointed to the speedometer sitting on 40 MPH.

he got a good laugh and gave me a defective equipment ticket. I fixed it the next day and showed the judge and it was dismissed.

Watch how much you tell that story, because if the commanders get wind of their Troopers laughing, they will go back and remove whatever is left of their humor glands....

Older troopers tend to be better, but the younger ones seem to be so uptight that they can't even blink. The last young VA Trooper I talked too looked as if he had the worst case of constipation in the history of man.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watch how much you tell that story, because if the commanders get wind of their Troopers laughing, they will go back and remove whatever is left of their humor glands....

Older troopers tend to be better, but the younger ones seem to be so uptight that they can't even blink. The last young VA Trooper I talked too looked as if he had the worst case of constipation in the history of man.

Hell this was like 1991 or 1992 and it was a little older a cop then.

yeah, I had a guy I graduated with who went VSP route. He lost his for the most part.  was kind of a bummer after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top