Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 4:11:53 AM EDT
Which of those two places is better to raise rugrats? Southeast section of Virginia or northeast part of Noth Carolina?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Surry is pretty nice, and right on the James River.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Lot of rich history here in Newport News.
But there's crime too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I 've lived in both places--my preference would be northeast NC as it is a little more rural.  You do, however, need to closely check the local schools.  Some of the rural NC (and VA, by the way...) schools are not funded very well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to avoid crowded city areas (with their Democrapic looters) and public school finance is not an issue because I prefer private Catholic schools anyway. Sounds like NC might be better since the cities/towns are smaller and their taxes must be relatively low!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My choice is West Coast of FL. However, between your choices, VA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been looking at place to move to when the escalating house payment (thanks, LIBOR) and Co. taxes finally run me out of here next spring.  I'd prefer to stay in VA, but I can tell you that housing in NC is cheaper than here.  I've looked at a lot of stuff online, and there is about a $50K to $70K difference in the prices for similar type houses between NC and VA, depending on where you look.  

You can buy a very nice house in the Rocky Mount area for around $150K; that same house is gonna be around $225K anywhere in VA that I've looked at.  

Now, I don't have kids...so I couldn't begin to tell you about that...but you can find Catholic Schools just about anywhere.  We're bad...we're NATIONWIDE

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Private schools?  Then go to NC.  It's less expensive and usually more friendly.

If you wanted public schools, I would say Northeastern VA, in which you could also expose the kids to all the history of NoVA & DC.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#8]
NC is kind of anti gun.  You have to have a CCW or handgun permit to buy a handgun and then you can only buy five a year with the permit.

The state taxes are also through the roof and class three items are only allowed to the rich and popular or good old boys.  You usually can't buy anything fun unless you have connections.

NC is teh
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
NC is kind of anti gun.  You have to have a CCW or handgun permit to buy a handgun and then you can only buy five a year with the permit.

The state taxes are also through the roof and class three items are only allowed to the rich and popular or good old boys.  You usually can't buy anything fun unless you have connections.

NC is teh

From a gun standpoint....+1,000,000
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I would say stick with SE VA because of the schools.  I don't know about Chesapeake but VB has several great private Catholic schools.  The CCW and gun laws are slightly better also.  However, if you bought in a place like Moyock, NC you would still be close enough to drive the kids to school but wouldn't have the housing prices and taxes that we have here in VA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I consider moving here because of the remoteness, and the kids get to boat to school, kinda Nat'l Geography' like:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=corolla&state=nc&zipcode=

My idea is to remove the kid from any 'big city" mentality (read that as gang-related).

There aren't any paved roads and you have to cross 6-7 miles of beach to get to a store.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in Va. Beach, love it...one of the best public school systems in the country...Cost of Living is alright...lots of things to do...Beach, Fishing....ect...2 indoor ranges in town, one outdoor in Pungo...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

NC is teh

What's this 5 a year deal.  I've never heard that before.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I live in Va. Beach, love it...one of the best public school systems in the country...Cost of Living is alright...lots of things to do...Beach, Fishing....ect...2 indoor ranges in town, one outdoor in Pungo...

Pungo is a long ass drive to go shoot.  When they say its almost in NC they aint lying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top