Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 7:39:35 PM EDT
area used to be a storage/supply closet...they gutted, and crammed as many desks in there as they can...Id sat the room probably measures 6-8 feet wide, by 15-20 feet in length, and they've got about 8-9 desks lining both walls..no cubicles or dividers at all..

18 years in...I've never seen a more inhospitable work place.  I am not going to be in there, but the people working in there are all PhD level and MS level, most will be spending about 4 hours a day at their desk and another 4-6 in the lab.

Not even sure why Im posting this, it just seems wrong to put people in that kind of work environment...especially when other departments are spending money on making nicer work environments for their employees...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Because open work spaces are great......for those paying the rent.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I know how you feel. They are consolidating all
employees to one floor. There is only one sh*tter
for 15 guys.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Every post so far reminds me of some place that I work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Real estate ain't cheap, yo.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
IT caves are nice and comfy. I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
they are redoing the IT suite and everyone from directors to level 1 techs gets a 6x8 high wall cube

except for the department head

he gets a big office

it's ITIL
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
While you're down there, could ya take care of the roach problem by the end of the day -  That would be great, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Studies have shown that those 'open office' designs result in significantly lower productivity. It increases stress, and stress decreases efficiency and productivity.

Yeah: just lining up a shitload of desks in a huge room costs less than having cubicles, but it costs more in the long run.

I've seen research laboratories set up like that, too. The people working there just HATE it. I mean REALLY *HATE* it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Fucking love that movie.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
meh, they're free to find another job if they don't like it right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
meh, they're free to find another job if they don't like it right?
View Quote

Or come back and shoot the place up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]
My current program is converting a 100+ person area to an
"Agile" collaborative environment.  It will basically be a large
bingo hall with 30' ceilings and 4' cube walls.  I'm looking
forward to working from home
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Studies have shown that those 'open office' designs result in significantly lower productivity. It increases stress, and stress decreases efficiency and productivity.

Yeah: just lining up a shitload of desks in a huge room costs less than having cubicles, but it costs more in the long run.

I've seen research laboratories set up like that, too. The people working there just HATE it. I mean REALLY *HATE* it.
View Quote

Some people at my office are pushing the director hard to get rid of the cubes and going with an "open office" layout.  No surprise, the people who want this are the supervisors who have their own little private area that is isolated from all the cubes.

I'll be finding a new job if they go with the open layout.  Being able to hear every conversation around me is distracting enough... it will be much more distracting if I see what everyone else is doing in my peripheral vision.  I'll just have to wear headphones and replace my monitors with an Oculus RIft

Open office layouts are horrible.  But it is the latest trend because all the big ass tech companies are doing it, so every offices good idea fairy wants to do it too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some people at my office are pushing the director hard to get rid of the cubes and going with an "open office" layout.  No surprise, the people who want this are the supervisors who have their own little private area that is isolated from all the cubes.

I'll be finding a new job if they go with the open layout.  Being able to hear every conversation around me is distracting enough... it will be much more distracting if I see what everyone else is doing in my peripheral vision.  I'll just have to wear headphones and replace my monitors with an Oculus RIft

Open office layouts are horrible.  But it is the latest trend because all the big ass tech companies are doing it, so every offices good idea fairy wants to do it too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a lot of that these days.  It's called a "Cargo Cult".

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

area used to be a storage/supply closet...they gutted, and crammed as many desks in there as they can...Id sat the room probably measures 6-8 feet wide, by 15-20 feet in length, and they've got about 8-9 desks lining both walls..no cubicles or dividers at all..

18 years in...I've never seen a more inhospitable work place.  I am not going to be in there, but the people working in there are all PhD level and MS level, most will be spending about 4 hours a day at their desk and another 4-6 in the lab.

Not even sure why Im posting this, it just seems wrong to put people in that kind of work environment...especially when other departments are spending money on making nicer work environments for their employees...
View Quote

Yup, that's not going to work for those types of workers.  I forecast the following

-Lots of headphones

-Lots of yelling at each other, telling each other to keep quiet.

-Geez, a higher turnover rate.

-Lower productivity.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:58:39 AM EDT
[#17]
All the asshole 'managers' who like to make their people work in cube farms ( or worse ) don't put themselves in cube farms.  It is a fucking stupid idea that just doesn't work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Now cubes can be fun sometimes, it's all in your outlook. I remember when I used to teach on shore duty we had cubes put in our staff office. With a bunch of squids running around it went to shit rather quickly. We used to have epic battles with office supplies. My roommate and I combined 3 cubes and made a deathstar cube that was impervious to the overhead fires of my office mates
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I could come up with a computer program that would rip that place off big time..BIG TIME!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
for 15 guys.
View Quote

Don't all run for the shitter at once then
Seriously, how many toilets should 15 guys need?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Open office layouts are horrible. But it is the latest trend because all the big ass tech companies are doing it, so every offices good idea fairy wants to do it too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open office layouts are horrible. But it is the latest trend because all the big ass tech companies are doing it, so every offices good idea fairy wants to do it too.

Is it really a trend?  I had thought that there had been enough studies performed to show that it is a horrible thing to do.

The guy responsible for this is easily one of the biggest douchebags around..It's quite amazing just how much of a douche he is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Real estate ain't cheap, yo.
View Quote

Plenty of empty office space all around this country.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody cares. It is reducing footprint and saving money. That is what counts.

Our "office" is now one gigantic open space. No assigned space. Reminds me of a production chicken house.

Been that way for a couple of years now. Everyone hates it, buf at least now with the layoffs we won't miss our jobs as much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
for 15 guys.

Depends where they eat lunch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is it really a trend?  I had thought that there had been enough studies performed to show that it is a horrible thing to do.

The guy responsible for this is easily one of the biggest douchebags around..It's quite amazing just how much of a douche he is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you keep your job [justify it] and spend money [one either makes money or spends money as an employee]  if everything stays the same? Coming up with ''new'' ideas [not really], most everything [other then actual new technology] is a rehash of what has been done before, it's really no different then the clothing industry.

I've said it before, you could clean out 1/2 of management in almost all bigger businesses and you'd never notice other then a better bottom line.

And that goes for the one I work at, if someone shits green, they create a new VP position, then hire someone who is color blind to fix the green shit problem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
for 15 guys.

i would think at least two.

it isn't about regular use.

it is about "emergencies".
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Guess what kind of environment public accountants deal with when traveling at a client. We had nice, big cubicles back at the office, that we got to use a whole 4 hours per month.

Nothing like rubbing thighs with the partner while six of us are crammed around a 4x2 table.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Now cubes can be fun sometimes, it's all in your outlook. I remember when I used to teach on shore duty we had cubes put in our staff office. With a bunch of squids running around it went to shit rather quickly. We used to have epic battles with office supplies. My roommate and I combined 3 cubes and made a deathstar cube that was impervious to the overhead fires of my office mates
View Quote

My old office, with 5 detectives, was one big room with 5 desks and no cubes. It was awesome for bonding and collaboration between all the guys in the office. I loved it. It would suck for folks with quotas or who had to be productive on a tight timeline. It was great from the team perspective though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Because open work spaces are great......for those paying the rent.

Good luck.

View Quote
Pretty much this.

My company likes to futilely jump on the Silicon Valley band wagon hoping that copying the symptoms of success will lead to success.  It's no different than the idiots who give awards to every kid, thinking that because the smart kids win awards you can make kids smart by giving them awards.

In the last 6 - 12 months the research has really come out against open floor plans.  They lower morale, lower productivity, increase sick days, and dehumanize your work force.  And at my company, in the last 6 months a bunch of suits who have private offices have decided to start having a lot of engineers sit in open floor plans.

They're also trying to push standing meetings on us.  It's depressing to walk by a conference room that the company spend $50,000 outfitting with a nice table and chairs, and see everyone standing for no other reason than SpaceX does it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#30]
My office, and I'm the boss, now has 6 desks in it. We have no space and everyone suffers. Life.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only if you have unmotivated, disengaged workers who don't cooperate let alone collaborate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had that in my office too....we used to refer to is as the mausoleum ,they crammed 12 consultants in there.
Sorry dude that is no way to work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only if you have unmotivated, disengaged workers who don't cooperate let alone collaborate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily true...
You will have people leaving their desk to make personal calls on a regular basis
You will have people leaving there desk to discuss things that maybe the whole group should not hear(budgets,employee reviews etc)
Certain jobs it is more advantageous to have in a open air setting (customer service,stock trading ) others not so much ( HR,finance and accounting)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Open office space is simply the greatest productivity destroyer I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Not necessarily true...

You will have people leaving their desk to make personal calls on a regular basis

You will have people leaving there desk to discuss things that maybe the whole group should not hear(budgets,employee reviews etc)

Certain jobs it is more advantageous to have in a open air setting (customer service,stock trading ) others not so much ( HR,finance and accounting)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily true...

I deal with employee medical issues as well as budgetary items for engineering projects and agree 100%.  I'm constantly moving to a conference room and using a cell phone instead of sitting at my desk.  Too many ears who might hear something they don't need to or might take out of context so yeah, open plans suck.  

It also doesn't help the office gossiper who was in the union and is now doing a non-union job basically runs right down to the employees to give them "the dirt from offices."  Her boss has attempted to rectify the situation but she's a basket case with lots of tears so usually any discussion on what is and is not appropriate to discuss results in smeared makeup.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top