Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 2:36:32 PM EDT
the government isn't going to build them anymore and the civilians haven't made them for 10 years. They might if the ban expires but from what i have heard they suck anyways and the USGI's are the only way to go?

so does that mean we will be running out of mags?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes....and no!

Those cheap a** USA or Triple K brand M-14 preban 20 round mags that disappoint the 1st time out (CTD.com) can be rebuilt with USGI spec parts from sources like Elite firearms in KY (Mag bodies and floor plates), Sarco (followers), and Wolff (+power springs). Just remember to retain the old preban (USA or Triple K) mag body to prove that you didn't build a new high capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure when the ban dies there will be someone to produce quality USGI spec M14 mags.  I'm curious about these ne LRB forged recievers out there now.  If they are as good as they sound I'll be looking into a barrelled reciever next fall...After the ban dies so I can configure the rifle properly
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes....and no!

Those cheap a** USA or Triple K brand M-14 preban 20 round mags that disappoint the 1st time out (CTD.com) can be rebuilt with USGI spec parts from sources like Elite firearms in KY (Mag bodies and floor plates), Sarco (followers), and Wolff (+power springs). Just remember to retain the old preban (USA or Triple K) mag body to prove that you didn't build a new high capacity magazine.

wow I never thought about doing that I have a few crappy M1a mags (the cheap ones never work) and I should really try to rebuild them.

how much are the bodies? or is just better to buy a new mag?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Elite Firearms in KY

U.S.G.I. M-14/ M1A Magazines that are in new Condition
20rd magazine body $16.95
10rd complete magazine $16.95
5rd complete magazine $16.95
Springs $2.00
Floorplates $1.50

from Sarco's M-14 Parts page
M14041 M14 Magazine Follower $4.50

as well as ...

M14040 M14 Magazine U.S. G.I. 20 Round $36.00

these are the correct right angle bend springs that are needed for a USGI follower from Wolff's M-14 Mag spring page
Stock No. 30224 - 20 round - ......... ...$ 8.99/ea  
Stock No. 30225 - 20 round - .....$ 22.99/pak of 3  
Stock No. 30226 - 20 round - ...$ 55.99/pak of 10

edited to add:

You had to start with these  Triple K M-14/M1A .308 20-Rd Steel Blue PreBan Legal to Own New for $10.39/eaor an equivalent preban to be legal...

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Possibly Springfield Armory has a source for quality, hi-cap M-14 mags for LEO uses?  Admittedly, I got some pre-bans from them a few years ago and they were definitely USGI.

I’ve heard the Chinese M-14 mags weren’t bad.  If the AWB goes away, maybe they could again be imported – but maybe not.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually the military is getting back into the m14 habit. I wouldnt be surprised if a new production run started up soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top