Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2011 12:02:41 AM EDT
due to a vehicle incidents, I am going to have to replace my hood and tailgate on my vehicle and i am sure that i will not luck out and find a perfect paint match.

so...what things should i be aware of before i commission this job ?

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 12:19:29 AM EDT
Some colors are harder to match than other. It depends to a large degree on how many different toners are in the color, etc. Talk directly to the painter and ask him.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 7:55:58 AM EDT
Any well known quality shop should own a spectrophotometer and will be able to match the color.

I have a show truck thats painted a custom mix of Porsche Riviera Blue and the shop i use was able to match it perfectly after a fender bender.

Just dont go to Maaco or any random body shop. Do some research and ask around, especially check the hot rod type shops.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:36:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BattletweeteR:
due to a vehicle incidents, I am going to have to replace my hood and tailgate on my vehicle and i am sure that i will not luck out and find a perfect paint match.

so...what things should i be aware of before i commission this job ?

Honestly, depending on your truck, the style of truck, its purpose and your own personal taste, might want to just get the hood FLAT BLACK. This actually looks decent with gloss body. Think of the old Muscle cars that did this, like the 'Cuda.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:05:26 PM EDT
A quality shop will color blend the new panels into the old paint. Not just shoot the new parts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 5:52:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
A quality shop will color blend the new panels into the old paint. Not just shoot the new parts.

this.

My dad ran a body shop for 30 years. He told me that no paint is a perfect match. It can only be mixed into a "blendable match".
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 7:06:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By blt-2-drg:
Any well known quality shop should own a spectrophotometer and will be able to match the color.

I have a show truck thats painted a custom mix of Porsche Riviera Blue and the shop i use was able to match it perfectly after a fender bender.

Just dont go to Maaco or any random body shop. Do some research and ask around, especially check the hot rod type shops.

I was looking up maaco, and some of the local shops do not have a lot of positive comments. due to looking up things about maaco made me start this thread.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 7:24:56 PM EDT
Year, make, model?

I used Maico. I took in a primed and blocked truck and they squirted and buffed it. Damn nice job and an excellent price.

You will probably not be happy with any attempt to paint match, unless you have a forgiving color and the shop is lucky.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 9:22:37 AM EDT
Check with your local shops before just dropping off the truck. I was told I could get an all over due to sun fade, but they changed their mind after they had the car torn apart. I told them to not put any paint on it other than epoxy primer since I was not going to pay for badly mis-matched paint. Took it else where and got it painted.
A lot of shops these days do not want to do all overs. just the quick money insurance work.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:55:00 PM EDT
out of curiosity, lets say i want to repaint my truck all the same color, what would be the price range ? I am thinking it would be close to a 1000 bucks for a basic paint job, same color all over, and nothing fancy.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:35:54 PM EDT

out of curiosity, lets say i want to repaint my truck all the same color, what would be the price range ? I am thinking it would be close to a 1000 bucks for a basic paint job, same color all over, and nothing fancy.

The more prep work you do, the cheaper the job.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:07:22 AM EDT
Just dont go to Maaco or any random body shop.

That's not exactly true. Most Maaco's are capable of applying just as nice of a paint job as any "custom" shop if you are willing to pay for it. Most of the cost of a high quality paint job lies in the amount of prep work done. If you go to Maaco and get a $500 paint job, expect a $500 paint job but their work won't be any better or worse then any other shop charging your $500 for a complete paint job. Typically you get what you pay for with paint jobs regardless of who's name is on the building but if you go to a Maaco and tell them what you are expecting and that your are willing to pay extra to have it done right, most Macco's are more then willing and capable of taking care of you.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:57:27 PM EDT

I think you'd be looking at more like $2000 for a quality paint job.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:46:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By airgunner:
Just dont go to Maaco or any random body shop.

That's not exactly true. Most Maaco's are capable of applying just as nice of a paint job as any "custom" shop if you are willing to pay for it. Most of the cost of a high quality paint job lies in the amount of prep work done. If you go to Maaco and get a $500 paint job, expect a $500 paint job but their work won't be any better or worse then any other shop charging your $500 for a complete paint job. Typically you get what you pay for with paint jobs regardless of who's name is on the building but if you go to a Maaco and tell them what you are expecting and that your are willing to pay extra to have it done right, most Macco's are more then willing and capable of taking care of you.

Quality of materials is also a large part of a paint job, how good its going to look in a few years, this is also a place Maaco fails. They also usually do not hire the best paint guys so the layout is usually pretty subpar, terrible tape job usually, etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:07:45 PM EDT
The last all over paint job I did was on a 1968 Mustang. Materials cost $1900.00 and I charged $1500 to paint it. I took the car to bare metal and started with etching primer then epoxy primer and finished with base coat/ clear coat. This was family price. I just bought a wrecked 2004 Chevy 2500HD for the wife and replaced the drivers door and windshield. I had to paint the drivers fender, drivers door, drivers extended cab door, and the top. I spent $2500 on the repairs and got the truck for $2500. The truck books for around $10,000. If the truck is to old it may cost more than the truck is worth to paint it. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:20:58 AM EDT
The newly painted parts will have to be blended to match the level of fading on the old panels.

Cheap shops do cheap work. The $199.00 special at Maco will leave you unimpressed.

Metallics cost more. White, and black are cheapest.

Make sure your shop removes emblems, and trim before painting. Just masking them off looks like hell when it's done.
Top Top