Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:18 AM EDT
went from having an hddvr and another hd box, all digital and music channels down to basic cable. $112 a month less but boring as hell.  watched the guy put the "trap" where the line goes onto the pole just 5 minutes ago... looks like i'll have more time for arfcom now  does anyone know of any websites or anything where you can watch channels for free?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about doing this but what I would be left with wouldn't justify the small amount of money I would save.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Pandora and NetFlix can fill that gap.

Got rid of DirecTV and went Internet only (DSL) in Nov 2008.  Haven't missed it at all.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Hulu has a lot of shows for free (and advertisements too just like real TV).

Of course, you could go the more nefarious route.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Read more books.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I got rid of sat. in 2004. I miss it occasionally, but really, there wasn't shit on it anyways. It was just mindless filler.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pandora and NetFlix can fill that gap.

Got rid of DirecTV and went Internet only (DSL) in Nov 2008.  Haven't missed it at all.

Yup, and using off-air DTV along with the 2 or 3 month's worth of $112 savings will buy you a DVD/Blu-Ray/DVR/Streaming Internet Video player.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditch the idiot tube completely or use it as a monitor for your game systems/DVD players. You won't miss it as much as you think.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
i do kinda miss it but i know i'll get so much more done around the house, rather than just sitting infront of the tv. i can finally finish getting my garage organized and such.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#9]
We dropped HBO and Showtime last month. I miss the series on both.

Saved $25/month, or $300/year, which is a lot of money for two channels, really.

I was having issues with internet, phone and cable dropping out. It was intermittent so I waited awhile to call, because I hate when a tech comes out and can't find a problem.

It got worse and I called Time Warner, and while on the phone, the call dropped out.

Luckily, I had previously given the rep my cell number because she was having trouble hearing me.

After scheduling my appointment, she credited me 2 weeks of everything, and said she saw a way to lower my bill $9/month.

Dish/Direct must be kicking their ass as of late.

I would switch, but love On Demand.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Try videocluster.net
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The wife and I are considering the same.

Just OTA and internet, and then Netflix and Hulu for movies/tv.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try videocluster.net

How the hell do you get on that site??  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations on cutting off the Liberal Propaganda Industry.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have any of the game systems like Xbox 360, Wii, or PS3 you can get Netflix over those with an internet connection. I've been using it on my Xbox 360 for some time now with the $9.99/mo plan with Netflix, which also gets you one DVD out at a time. Only thing is with the Xbox, you have to pay for Xbox Live access, which will run you $50 a year. I think access on the PS3 and Wii are free other than the Netflix subscription.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try videocluster.net

How the hell do you get on that site??  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relevent to my insterests since we dropped cable altogether, went with a netflix account and of course, high speed internet.

I too would like to know about the roku boxes or some other way to hook our computer to the TV to stream video...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of you know that netflix sends dvd's or blurays to your door through the mail, which is cool all by itself, but it also allows you to play hundreds, if not thousands of movies, entire television series and more from your home computer instantly (no limit, play as much as you want its included for free). You can watch or get DVD series for almost all the stuff you are worried about missing from cable like mythbusters, breaking bad, pawn stars, etc.

Thats pretty cool, but I wanna watch movies on my TV, not have the family sit around a computer, what can I do?

You get a roku box, a netflix enabled bluray player, xbox360, PS3, Wii or other Netflix enable device and you can literally play these movies directly to your tv while kicking back on the couch. Some newer TV's actually have netflix built right in. The high end Roku's can also connect to your computer or other hard drive any play movies from the hard drive as well.

Personally, I use a home theater PC, just a PC hooked up to my 1080P LCD via HDMI. I run Windows Media Center 7, which is included in all versions of Windows 7 home premium and higher. The HTPC is a PVR (mine has 6 tuners), internet couch surfing and netflix watching machine. everything done from a normal remote control.

My netflix plan is $9.99 a month(one movie out at a time = about 8 blu-rays a month) + $2 so I can get blu-rays instead of DVD's = $11.99 a month includes free instant watching anytime, as much as you want, as described above.

Links:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

http://www.netflix.com/WiHome

http://www.roku.com/roku-products

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-media-center/get-started/default.aspx

http://thegreenbutton.com/

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I ditched my cable and DVR not too long ago for a few reasons.  I only watched 4 cable channels but had to pay for the 100+.  The wife was addicted to tv, now she longer sits on the couch all night and bitches about being out of shape.  When she's bored she does stuff around the house or goes to the gym.

My computer has a HDMI port so when I want to watch tv shows I hook up the laptop and it's like nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I got rid of sat. in 2004. I miss it occasionally, but really, there wasn't shit on it anyways. It was just mindless filler.

+ 1000

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#23]
so. to those of you who have used roku, is there anything i can do on it that i can't do on my laptop? since my laptop is new and has an hdmi out that i can plug directly into my tv i am wondering if there would be any advantage of getting the roku?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#24]
i am thinking about dumping cable also and maybe the internet to . for $180 a month can buy more ammo and gunsnot to mention how much more productive i can be,
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I can watch almost anything I want online.  

It's all out there, you have to know where to look.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#26]
It was boring as hell when I had all that stuff a few years ago.

My boredom passed quickly after a month of having the $ to burn on more productive stuff (like ear plugs so I didn't have to listen to the family bitch).

You're just jones'in, it'll pass
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Learn to play an instrument or something? Maybe start playing an online game?

Tvduck.com is ok, just links to stuff on megavideo or other sites, just make sure you have ad blocker plus installed (google it).

Once I stopped watching TV I got waaaaay better at guitar, which is a much more useful skill than knowing how to work the DVR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Meh. I don't really watch much else that isn't on cable anyway, so I couldn't tell you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

i am thinking about dumping cable also and maybe the internet to . for $180 a month can buy more ammo and gunsnot to mention how much more productive i can be,

Just get the lowest level of internet that will let you watch videos online, its nice having internet when you want to learn how to do something or if you want to order stuff.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Netflix FTW.

~$10 a month unlimted streaming and 1 DVD out at a time. I currently have seven seasons of Stargate: SG1 to wade through along with about 130 other titles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Can you stream Netflix videos on an air card?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Netflix FTW.

~$10 a month unlimted streaming and 1 DVD out at a time. I currently have seven seasons of Stargate: SG1 to wade through along with about 130 other titles.

Don't forget about Atlantis and Universe.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Another recession tragedy
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Netflix FTW.

Don't forget about Atlantis and Universe.

Those are already included in the 130 or so other titles.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#36]
rapidshare, hotfile, fileserve... you get the idea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Stagevu

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have done it on a verizon card in a spot with good signal. It takes a few minutes to buffer, and Netflix will determine your resolution based on your internet speed, but it looked pretty decent on my full laptop screen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I have thought about doing this. I have an xbox 360 and a bluray does netflix stream in HD?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done it on a verizon card in a spot with good signal. It takes a few minutes to buffer, and Netflix will determine your resolution based on your internet speed, but it looked pretty decent on my full laptop screen.

Thanks.

I think I'll hang on to the DSL I have as I do like to play the occasional online game in the winter, and I don't think the aircard would be able to cut it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]
It's been said over and over again, but +1 for Netflix. Between Netflix ($9/month), Youtube (free), and Hulu (free), I am always entertained.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#43]
get netflix for 9$ a month and a cheap netflix streaming box for 140$ , good to go.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=832  plug ethernet in it , hdmi or rca or other cable to TV and thats it... I love mine

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Get rid of it and get over the air free tv.......not shit on and you still get important stuff on news ect and enough people begin to drop it also the price goes down on the uslels box....healthier too..lost 20 pounds in six months  doing other stuff
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I cancelled my cable entirely. Since the cable companies are required by law to disseminate local major network channels unscrambled and in their native resolution, I still get all the major networks; CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, TheCW for some strange reason, QVC and other shopping channels, and since I'm near the Twin Cities...at least 5 different PBS channels.

All for "free". I still get cable internet so I'm not totally cut off from them.

For the shows I want to watch that I don't get over my connection, I hit up piratebay or bt-chat.com and download the episodes after they air. Burn Notice, Eureka, Warehouse 13...etc.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Got rid of cable back in June.  Don't miss it at all!  

I still get all the TV shows I want.  You just have to know how to!

Yes, Netflix is part of that, but not the bigger one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I cancelled my cable entirely. Since the cable companies are required by law to disseminate local major network channels unscrambled and in their native resolution, I still get all the major networks; CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, TheCW for some strange reason, QVC and other shopping channels, and since I'm near the Twin Cities...at least 5 different PBS channels.

All for "free". I still get cable internet so I'm not totally cut off from them.

For the shows I want to watch that I don't get over my connection, I hit up piratebay or bt-chat.com and download the episodes after they air. Burn Notice, Eureka, Warehouse 13...etc.

eztv.it... less bullshit.  Caught some malware on my netbook last week from piratebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top