Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 3:35:41 AM EDT
I am. I got divorced earlier this year, around January. I spend x mas, on  a friends couch. was there new years as well.  Valentines day sucked, ( spent most of this year in camping chairs, and sleeping on army cots, my 15 year old daughter lives with me),  kind of had a birthday in july. Now were rolling around to thanksgiving, and x mas.

My 17 year old daughter is cooking some food at her place, and im invited. This will be a bit awkward as she just told me she found out shes pregnant last night. Every daddys worst fear, 17 year old pregnant daughter.   Maybe x mas will be a little better.  I am fine with the divorce thing, its just the family atmosphere i miss especially badly somedays. so, were going to try out a new tradition this year, me, my two daughters, and my older daughters boyfriend at their apartment. maybe i wont kick him in the nuts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go to your daughters place.  There's only so many Thanksgivings, even if they're not the full family all around the table, whatever family you have around you is meaningful.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I am as well.

Timing is just all wrong to do mine today, so I will be doing it tomorrow.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the holidays OP. Its the worst , but it DOES get better with time.

One day at a time brother.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would go to your daughters place.  There's only so many Thanksgivings, even if they're not the full family all around the table, whatever family you have around you is meaningful.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
As a child of parents who divorced when I was four, I to would suggest you go spend some time with your kids today OP. Some of my best memories of growing up were spending one on one time with my dad during the holidays.

Also being .mil I've had to be gone/work plenty of holidays and holiday weekends. Even if it's not perfect, you only get so much time, might as well spend it with the ones you love. GL sir!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys ! nice to have a support group !
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Alone here in Budapest, wife is in medical school.

I got an American friend doing thanksgiving this Saturday though but still not the same.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Bro, forgive her, lover her and accept the baby. By there for her. You only have one chance at being a good dad. No matter what your relationship has been to this point. Mistakes are made by everyone. Your divorce affected her also. You will prob never know how much. Just go eat with her and bring a gift. tell her it is because you are thankful for her and your new grandchild. tell her you love her and forget about the past. Life is not all about you. Sometimes you have to exist for your loved  ones first. then your happiness will come. Happy Thanksgivin brother. If you were in NM I would invite you over, but...looks like you have got a great place to go anyway.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
i am lucky to have a Girlfriend this year. Ill actually get to have some Holidays. Last year i was alone, year before i was in Afghanistan...

Last year was the worse my family was a thousand miles away. I was alone dealing with alittle PTSD no one around.. it was very sad and hard for me

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Family is family no matter what.  Just be glad you get to spend a little time with them.
while you all enjoy your family time some of us will be working. 730am to midnight! woohoo.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Techinically alone here my girl is completing an educational program back home before she moves out here with me in a month
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone who would like to join is welcome to come have thanksgiving with me and my family. OP I'm originally from Louisville, down in south Florida now. Good luck, be thankful you have daughters who love you and maybe a grandson to shoot with on the way

Free dinner come one come all. Coral Springs Florida. IM me for directions

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Going through a divorce so I'm with my roommates today.  Was invited to dinner by the soon to be ex.  Kids will be there.  Don't know what to do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#17]
your 17 year old has her own place?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Go be with your daughter. It's not ideal but it's life and your grandkid
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]
You will survive. Its your life make it positive.  Go spend it with the kids and be positive, it could be worse.

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing your a good dude.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Why does your 17 year old not live with a parent?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I got work tomorrow, wasn't going to drive ten hours round trip for some turkey...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:05:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I work with a bunch of forgien nationals, and last year we got together and had a party, so I assumed the same thing would happen this year.  So bought a turkey a at pretty much the last minute before I talked to anyone.

However, I didn't count on the fact that due to the long weekend several of them are traveling, two of them have new babies, two of them are working, and some have made prior commitments for thanksgiving.
Definitely a case of piss poor planning on my part.  Some of them
said "why not cook it on another day and have a party them", but
alas...the thawing process had begun, and there was no turning back.
So, I'm having turkey and stuffing by myself today.
The upshot? I didn't have to clean my apartment.

ETA::Oh, and my family is 500+ miles away.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I did that one year.

Did not mind it a bit because I knew I had to work ten+ hour days on Friday and Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Signed the divorce paperwork yesterday, should be final next week. My two boys 7 and 8 left my house at 7am to go to the exwifes family for dinner.  So here I sit surfing the web.

Probably going for a 50 mile bike ride later. Better than sitting on the net all day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top