Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2005 11:12:21 AM EDT
first off, this happened in NE Ohio at the northern side of Columbiana county

ok, so here's the story.  about 8 years ago i was going down the creek behind our house with a friend and almost stepped on a snake that was coiled up ON THE BOTTOM of the creek.  the creek is probably 10' wide but this area was only about 3 feet wide due to a land bar and stuff; so the water here was faster moving than most places.

it wasnt coiled up in a circle, but more like.....well in the drawing i just made, with the head facing downstream (if for some reason that would be significant).

we got a big boulder and dropped it on it, not sure if we hit it or not but in the dirt cloud i saw part of the snake flail out.  we didnt see where it went, but when stuff settled it definitely was not under the rock.

i've always wondered what kind of snake that was.  it wasnt a black rat snake, because those are black and we had a couple in our garage one year.  this one had markings similar to copperhead (it was a long time ago so i dont remember) - but i know it was multi colored with brown shades.

i've always assumed it was a copperhead but since i never saw one anywhere in ohio except way south in hocking hills, i dont know what to think. although the creek eventually dumps into the ohio river, so i suppose one could just have gone exploring upstream for a few months.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
That pic looks like a sidewinder.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That pic looks like a sidewinder.  

well it could be.  except for all the water and green plants, our back yard is very similar to a desert
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Trouser Snake?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Piece of garden hose?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Piece of garden hose?

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Piece of garden hose?

www.partydomain.co.uk/d-commerce/media/inflatsnake.jpg

.... just because my drawing sucks doesnt mean i'm retarded.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Watersnake
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
copperheaded-water-rattler.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Some sort of water snake.

There is a diamondback water snake that looks something like that.

Snakes lie on the bottom like that and await fish to eat.

I've seen many different water snakes that do that in creeks/rivers.

ok.  i mean i knew all snakes can swim, but the fact it was residing on the bottom kind of freaked me out a bit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Juvenile water moccasins look very similar to copperheads.

juvenile moccasin...

copperhead.....

ETA: Water moccasins don't live in Ohio.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely a garter.  Nice drawing.  You didn't over-do the details.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
the markings sound like a water moccasin but I don't think that's possible in oh. even if it wandered north for some reason. I've only known of a few that made it up this far in southwestern va.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
sounds like a gaboon viper to me
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
sounds like a gaboon viper to me

I spent a few weeks in Zimbabwe, in mortal terror of those things. The book I had said there were no known survivors of their bites.

Never saw one, but I stepped right over a puff adder, and I saw several others, and a night adder and a cobra.

Worst of all was the scorpion that dropped out of the thatched roof into the bathtub right between my legs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top