Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/18/2009 7:15:29 AM EDT
I'm talking about the bans that make it illegal to smok in bars, restaurants, businesses, bowling alleys, and all other public places.......

Personally I think if you own a business its YOUR choice to make it smoking or non. I thought this county was the land of the FREE, and not the land of the highly regulated...... and I don't smoke (well unless I'm drinking)

poll inbound.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:15:51 AM EDT
IBTP
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:18:14 AM EDT
I don't smoke and I hate people who do but regardless it should be governed by the bars/restaurants themselves not the government.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:18:30 AM EDT
I agree with you.  

Whoever owns the business should be allowed to do what they want.

Before my state had a smoking ban, I would mostly go to business that didn't allow smoking, and it would be my hope that economic pressures forced more business to ban smoking, but I don't want the government to ban smoking.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:19:53 AM EDT
Yup I agree with you guys... If you don't wanna smell smoke, patronize a place that doesn't allow smoking, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:20:21 AM EDT
if someone doesnt want to be in an establishment with smoke... they can leave and spend there money elsewhere thats the beauty of capitalism and freedom.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:20:35 AM EDT
While I don't like bans.

I hate smoking, I'm an ex smoker and
it literally makes my lungs burn now.

when I smoked I tried to be a courteous as possible
(not smoking while others around me eating etc.)
and I was a two pack a day smoker.

Problem is most smokers are Not courteous.

So they ruin it for the rest
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:21:01 AM EDT
First they came for the smokers...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:21:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tel0004:
I agree with you.  

Whoever owns the business should be allowed to do what they want.

Before my state had a smoking ban, I would mostly go to business that didn't allow smoking, and it would be my hope that economic pressures forced more business to ban smoking, but I don't want the government to ban smoking.

i smoked for 30+ years

let all decide for themselfs and ftpw
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:21:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Speedinc:

I'm talking about the bans that make it illegal to smok in bars, restaurants, businesses, bowling alleys, and all other public places.......

Personally I think if you own a business its YOUR choice to make it smoking or non. I thought this county was the land of the FREE, and not the land of the highly regulated...... and I don't smoke (well unless I'm drinking)
poll inbound.

Yep.  Property rights issue.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:22:44 AM EDT
In most states, you can get around the smoking bans by making your business a 'club'. Anytime you make a sale, hand out a stupid membership card with some lines (for your name) on it and your business's logo.

There, now anything from your local hardware store to the diner is now a smoking zone and a 'club'.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:23:40 AM EDT
Out in the actual public, I think smoking should be banned,  On private property and inside private stores, it should be up to the owners.

It's pretty well established that even secondhand smoke can cause some damage to your body so it's reasonable to ban smoking in public areas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:23:43 AM EDT
It should be up to private businesses. While I do enjoy it being smokefree wherever I go, I dont think it's .gov's (state or federal) place to say when and where.
If a restuarant or bar allows smoking, I simply wont go there. That's just my choice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:24:37 AM EDT
Apparently outside.

I believe in property rights. It should be the owners discretion.

And I am a smoker.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:24:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

Amen. Nothing like sitting at a stop light looking at thousands of cigarette butts littering the ground.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2009 7:25:36 AM EDT by N1Rampage]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
Out in the actual public, I think smoking should be banned,  On private property and inside private stores, it should be up to the owners.

It's pretty well established that even secondhand smoke can cause some damage to your body so it's reasonable to ban smoking in public areas.

Not really...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:25:42 AM EDT
in .gov (city/state/fed) building there should be no-smoking

anywhere else as decided by the owners.

I do vote with my wallet and feet.. I HATE smoke and will avoid those people and places that do.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:26:12 AM EDT
As a smoker I have an unusual take on this. I prefer non-smoking dining and bars. I don't smoke in the house and wash my hands after every cig to get rid of the smell. BUT I believe this is like helmets, seatbelts and everything else we have been forced to do..it's our choice..let me decide not the government..
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:27:30 AM EDT
businesses should chose their own policy...I will say this though...I don't smoke anymore and really don;t want to have to smell it while I am eating.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:28:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jcarrel:
I don't smoke and I hate people who do but regardless it should be governed by the bars/restaurants themselves not the government.

This 100%. One more thing the government controls. Great.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:29:06 AM EDT
shouldnt be allowed in family places....we used to have a law before it was totally banned, if the place sold majority food instead of booze....no smoking...
not a big fan of smoking at all
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:29:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

Amen. Nothing like sitting at a stop light looking at thousands of cigarette butts littering the ground.

Most people period are not courteous, it's just more evident when they have butts to throw on the ground or smoke to blow in your face.

I hate smoke, but it should be up to businesses to decide how to manage things. The government has no place saying what  customers can't do; if you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:29:24 AM EDT
I don't smoke, I've had severe asthma since I was 2, and I think businesses should be allowed to decide whether smoking is allowed on their property or not.

Don't like smoke?  Don't patronize their business.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:29:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2009 7:31:06 AM EDT by KentuckyGunGuy]
They really fuck over places here, they past a law making food places no smoking. So many mom and pop places added an area that had separate ventilation around the bars. Many bingo halls did the same added a wall between the food and other bussiness. Some spending 10K-30K to have it months later made all bussiness most be smoke free, so if you run a bussiness out of your home, NO SMOKING FOR YOU. You can't even smoke in bars here, so as you walk up to the bar you walk through 10-20 smokers standing out front, So now non-smoker can't get an outdoor table at a place or drink beer out on the patio at a bar, with out being crammed and over powered by every smoker in the place walking out to smoke every 5 min.

You can't smoke in the smoke shop ?

What it most have been like to live in a free America
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:30:03 AM EDT
I'm a lifelong nonsmoker... I hate having smoke blown in my face... But it's not up to the .gov to ban it. Leave it to the businesses.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:31:52 AM EDT
If smoking didn't pollute my air and give me migraines I wouldn't care what other people did in public.  But someone smoking does affect me in a very negative way.  So take it outside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:32:53 AM EDT
Personally I wouldn't give a rat's ass if I didn't have to breath their second hand toxic smoke.  Since they puke it out into the same air everyone else in the building has to breathe, they should take it outside or have it banned.  

And before anyone says I'm liberal because I want things banned, how many people are allowed to set fire to vegetable material inside a building?  Not me.  Why should they be?  If I were to bring a nicotine soaked cabbage to work and set it on fire on my desk I'd be fired and fined.  So take the drugged smoke outside and destroy your health if you want, but don't do it where I have to breathe it or I'll do my best to get you locked out.  Your right to smoke ends the second your smoke comes in contact with my nose.

Smokers are some of the least courteous people I've ever met.  And I've met some bad ones.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:34:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
In most states, you can get around the smoking bans by making your business a 'club'. Anytime you make a sale, hand out a stupid membership card with some lines (for your name) on it and your business's logo.

There, now anything from your local hardware store to the diner is now a smoking zone and a 'club'.

well in Michigan our smoking ban starts in a few months and what really pisses me off is it was all a vote in the state house and senate, and the governors office signing it.... I think the public should have got a chance to vote on it during an election!!!

but I have no idea if Mi is going to do the "club" allocation. Intresting though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:35:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 3rdpig:
Personally I wouldn't give a rat's ass if I didn't have to breath their second hand toxic smoke.  Since they puke it out into the same air everyone else in the building has to breathe, they should take it outside or have it banned.  

And before anyone says I'm liberal because I want things banned, how many people are allowed to set fire to vegetable material inside a building?  Not me.  Why should they be?  If I were to bring a nicotine soaked cabbage to work and set it on fire on my desk I'd be fired and fined.  So take the drugged smoke outside and destroy your health if you want, but don't do it where I have to breathe it or I'll do my best to get you locked out.  Your right to smoke ends the second your smoke comes in contact with my nose.

Smokers are some of the least courteous people I've ever met.  And I've met some bad ones.

Everyone should cater to your whims inside buildings you don't own?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:36:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RED_5:

I do vote with my wallet and feet.. I HATE smoke and will avoid those people and places that do.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:36:42 AM EDT
While I don't like bans.

I hate smoking, I'm an ex smoker and
it literally makes my lungs burn now.

when I smoked I tried to be a courteous as possible
(not smoking while others around me eating etc.)
and I was a two pack a day smoker.

I agree with this sentiment. My solution would be to let the businesses decide who and what they allow in their establishment. In turn, I will choose businesses which take steps to isolate non-smokers from smokers... not because they have to, but because it makes business sense.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:36:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 911brad:
Originally Posted By RED_5:

+1

As a smoker, I'm fine with this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:40:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:40:47 AM EDT
All tobacco and alcohol products should be banned. Bahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:41:29 AM EDT
No place that serves alcohol will ever voluntarily ban smoking.

Unless they want to go out of business.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they please as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

The truth of the matter is that a lot of people are stuck working where ever they can find work.  Plenty of guys on this website are in that situation.

So if you work in a bar or food service, you're going to be sucking in 2nd hand smoke all day.  Which is a health hazard.

Aside from all that, I smoked for ten years, I never had a problem stepping outside for a butt.  I never had a burning desire to torture my co-workers with some shitty smelling 2nd hand gas cloud.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:42:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

well in most ban states you can go outside of a bar or business and smoke, and then throw it in the street.... Instead of letting you smoke in the business and put it in an ashtray. It doesn't ban smoking in cars or private homes...... so your problem of littering would have to be addressed another way........  Thats just the stupidity of people these days and needs to be addresses by teaching kids and up about littering and why not to!

The bans are not going to stop you problem, but I agree it does make me mad too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:43:19 AM EDT
I'm a non-smoker and all for the businesses making the decision on whether they allow smoking or not.  My only problem with it is the employees who work in the establishments being exposed to a lot of second hand smoke.  And before everybody says "They should work somewhere else.", these times are tough and a lot of restaurant/bar jobs are already at the bottom of the food chain.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:44:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jcarrel:

+ 1
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:44:52 AM EDT
I do not smoke, but, the government is taking over more and more. Next all red meat will be banned. Just like in Sylvester movie Demolition Man. It was funny when it 1st came out, now it's becoming "The Real Thing"........
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:45:28 AM EDT
Hell no.  Property rights.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:50:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

It's pretty well established that even secondhand smoke car exhaust guns sunlight loud construction can cause some damage to your body so it's reasonable to ban smoking anything that fits an agenda in public areas.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:52:15 AM EDT
I hate smoking, but hate the nanny state more.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:54:15 AM EDT
more libtard banning; just cuz a few don't like something, they want to ban it for everyone.  if you dont want your kids inhaling smoke, dont go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:54:26 AM EDT

i thinks it's bogus.  a private business should decide on their own.

sick and tired of the gov't thinking it's their job to take care of people
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:56:17 AM EDT
They've already banned indoor smoking in my area: they are now trying to ban outdoor smoking
http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20091214/NEWS01/912140359/-1/ARCHIVE
I don't support the move, although I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:56:29 AM EDT
Smoked 2 packs a day for 18 years, quit 6 months ago.  I do not support bans––-should be the business's decision.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:58:55 AM EDT
Cigarettes suck they should be outlawed totally !!~!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:59:23 AM EDT
I don't smoke but I'm ALWAYS against the government sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:02:07 AM EDT
NO!

i hate being in smoking restaurants bc it makes the food taste horrible, and its kinda nice being in smoke free bars bc you dont end up smelling like smoke when you get home and the next morn. (but im not gonna force what i like on others... i just wont go)

however, there were actually smoke free bars before there were such laws.... and surprisingly they did good because that is what the bar patrons wanted. funny how the free market works. also, since i was little, restaurants  had the smoking sections closed in w/ their own ventilation systems so the rest of the customers were not bothered.

if someone wants to have smoking in their bar and no one goes, he needs to change his policy or close. simple as that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:02:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By staringback05:
shouldnt be allowed in family places....we used to have a law before it was totally banned, if the place sold majority food instead of booze....no smoking...
not a big fan of smoking at all

Define, please.

And it's obvious you're "not a big fan" of freedom, either.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:04:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tankdriver:
I do not smoke, but, the government is taking over more and more. Next all red meat will be banned. Just like in Sylvester movie Demolition Man. It was funny when it 1st came out, now it's becoming "The Real Thing"........

"I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? "

-Edgar Friendly
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top