Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 9:10:54 AM EDT
I have one of these safe

I'm wondering how strong it is?

A cop told me that he has never seen a burgular spend more than a couple minutes trying to break into something, mostly smash and grab.

Thoughts on this situation?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone here who has spent more than 149.00 on a gun locker/ safe is going to bash this product.

Anything is better than nothing. If that is what you can afford and are not worried about fire ratings and have your guns insured through your homeowners...go for it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It'll slow them down. I also agree with your cop friend.Most crooks want to spend as little time in the house as possible and less time in an apartment. They'll grab 2 or 3 things that are out in the open and then split.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
just bolt it down and remember no fire protection.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
just bolt it down and remember no fire protection.

The guns i keep in there are pretty much going to be business only, (work guns) a sig, a hk .45 remington 870 and a smith 38.

no big loss if they were burned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I think your friend was right about the smash n grab.

That will definitely slow somebody down, if it is properly bolted or chained in place.  Otherwise they'll just take it with them!

However, if somebody breaks in once, I might be worried somebody comes back with some crowbars when they know there is a cheap lockbox there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think your friend was right about the smash n grab.

That will definitely slow somebody down, if it is properly bolted or chained in place.  Otherwise they'll just take it with them!

However, if somebody breaks in once, I might be worried somebody comes back with some crowbars when they know there is a cheap lockbox there.

I have to say for a cheap safe it probably would be kinda hard to pry it open...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have one of these safe

A cop told me that he has never seen a burgular spend more than a couple minutes trying to break into something, mostly smash and grab.

I think it will only stop the amateurs. Any pro will have the tools to get that thing open or entirely out the door in two shakes.

Most of those will give you the capability to lag into the floor and the wall, and it couldn't hurt to do both.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have one of these safe

I think it will only stop the amateurs. Any pro will have the tools to get that thing open or entirely out the door in two shakes.

Most of those will give you the
capability to lag into the floor and the wall, and it couldn't hurt to do both.

I am planning to put 4 lag bolts into the concrete slab and 2 into the wall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
It'll slow 'em down if you bolt it to the floor, but it'll slow 'em down even more if you rig it with a claymore when you leave the house.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
have one in my room up stairs its use it to keep lil siblings out... and also so that if a thug tries to break into it, it will wake me up enough to use my Digital hand gun safe with my  Walther p99 with large HP .40 from beside my bunk bed hing

i'm still saving for a real, one but seeing as we have never be broken into and live in a good area i use my money  for new guns or ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
They have the 14 gun here at the local WalMart for the same price.  As others have said, it beats nothing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to have this exact safe until I upgraded to a Liberty. It is a good product and if you bolt it down it will be fine for 90% of all robbery attempts. You can also drill the door and body and install another latch and use a strong lock. Just an idea as I always thought the weak spot on these closets are the locks. You could put a latch at the top and bottom and thereby have a total of four locking points. This is a good product if you do not have the money for a big safe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
my walmart has the 10gun
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4564314
for 150$ on clearance.. im picking 1 up tonight..
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Bolting it in and adding a few more locks and hasps will almost completely eliminate amateur and smash and grabber.  If a professional with time and tools gets in, the really big bucks much better ones aren't much better.

Time is the enemy of burglars.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
All you buy with ANY gunsafe is time.

The more you spend, TO A POINT, the more time (And possibly fire protection) you get.

I'd say for 90% of most domestic robberies, you're okay.

And ANY safe is better than no safe.

SG
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
anything is better than nothing.

put it in an inconspicous place, and one where it's tough to get leverage on (the corner of a closet or something) and as said before, bolt it down
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Bolt it down and it's good for the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top