Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:31:30 PM EDT
Man, I bought a six pack of newcastle. Got it home, cracked one open ... and it smells skunky.

Sonovabitch I hate when that happens. Plus, this damn communist state shuts down all the beer stores at 9:00 PM so I can't go back and bitch to get something else.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
lightstruck beer, the clear bottles do nothing to help that. which is exactly why most beers come in amber bottles, it prevents damage to the beer from sunlight.

sorry about the loss man.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:32:51 PM EDT
Throw it in the freezer get it really cold and then by the time you hit #6 it won't taste all that bad
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:35:25 PM EDT
The three worst beers of all time

1. Lonestar. Tastes like ass....when ass got stale.

2. Pearl....Tastes likke lonestar after Lonestar got skunky.

3. Iron City.......wow...You drink that on a dare.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:42:23 PM EDT
Imported beer in green bottles is usually skunky, too. Grolsch and Heineken taste so much better in the Netherlands where it's made fresh than out of bottles you buy here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:45:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 6:45:56 PM EDT by CZ75_9MM]
Whatever I get I usually try to get it by the case in the back instead of the stuff that is in front on their shelves being destroyed by the fluorescent lights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:46:15 PM EDT
The skunkiness usually occurs in beer with green or clear bottles.There is a reason beer comes in brown bottles to keep out the sunlight.

Ultraviolet light does something to beer and produces the skunky taste>
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:50:23 PM EDT
Yes, every time I've tried Grolsch it tastes skunky.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:
Yes, every time I've tried Grolsch it tastes skunky.

bottled grolsch usually sucks, you should try it in the 5 liter mini kegs, much better
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:55:43 PM EDT
Keep your beer away from UV light! Nothing pisses me off worse than going to the store to get beer, and everything in bottles is six fucking inches away from the fluorescent tubes!

You may be able to reverse it a little by chilling it, but it takes time. Drink up and then either buy stuff that is in brown bottles, or in cardboard cases. I have a recipe for a Koelsch style ale that is delicate enough that if you drink it in clear glasses (there is no other way) outside, it will skunk in about 5 minutes. The solution is to not drink in the sun.

and some beer geeky info.....shamelessly stolen

UNC chemists figure out what causes ‘skunky beer’
CHAPEL HILL – Many people think beer tastes bad all the time, while others, who enjoy the alcoholic malt beverage, believe it turns "skunky" only when it isn’t handled properly.
Now chemists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill say they have figured out precisely what goes wrong with beer to give it that offensive "light-struck" flavor.

"Historically, beer has been stored in brown or green bottles to protect hop-derived compounds from light in a process we call photodegradation," said Dr. Malcolm D. Forbes, professor of chemistry.

"Hops help flavor beer, inhibit bacterial growth and are largely responsible for the stability of the foam in the head," Forbes said. "Hops, however, are light-sensitive, and the three main compounds in them identified as being light-sensitive are called isohumulones. When attacked by either visible or ultraviolet light, these break down to make reactive intermediates known as free radicals that lead to the offensive taste and skunky odor."

Using isohumulones supplied by brewing companies and a sophisticated technique called time-resolved electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy, the UNC scientists and colleagues determined what happens chemically during photo degradation. Lasers served as the light source for producing the chemical reactions they studied.

"This light problem is a phenomenon that was reported in the literature as early as 1875, but until now the detailed mechanism has not been unraveled," Forbes said. "The final product of the reaction turns out to be what we call "skunky thiol," an analog of a compound found in skunk glands that produces a very bad taste and smell. This molecule has an extremely low taste and smell threshold in humans, just a few parts per trillion."

A report on the findings will appear in the Nov. 5 issue of a publication called Chemistry - A European Journal and appeared online this weeek. Besides Forbes, authors are UNC chemistry doctoral student Colin S. Burns and Dr. Denis De Keukeleire and his doctoral student Arne Heyerick of the University of Gent in Belgium.

The new paper describes how the team succeeded in creating the free radicals, working out their structure, explaining reactions that made them and learning precisely where in the isohumulone compounds photo breakdown takes place.

"Understanding mechanisms behind changes in beer tastes is important because the world beer industry is hoping to save money by storing, shipping and selling beer in less expensive clear glass," Forbes said. "Producers of Miller Genuine Draft, for example, already do that by adding a chemically modified hop compound to the beer. We have found evidence that Miller beer is still photochemically active, but it doesn’t make the same free radicals, and so those can’t lead to bad-tasting skunky thiols as quickly."

Corona beer also is sold in clear bottles, but manufacturers do not used a modified hop product, he said. Instead, they usually keep their bottles boxed to exclude light and encourage drinkers to add a slice of lime to improve the odor.

"Corona is marketed extremely cleverly," the chemist said.

Forbes’ laboratory is one of the most sophisticated in the world for studying super-fast radical reactions that take place in billionths of seconds. His Belgian collaborators have applied for a patent on a process that will alter and retard the photochemistry of beer to make the beverage easier to store and give it a longer shelf life.

###
The National Science Foundation, the Interbrew-Baillet Latour Foundation of Leuven, Belgium, and the UNC chemistry department supported the research.

Note: Forbes can be reached at (919) 962-1696 or mdef@unc.edu

By DAVID WILLIAMSON
UNC News Services

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:17:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
lightstruck beer, the clear bottles do nothing to help that. which is exactly why most beers come in amber bottles, it prevents damage to the beer from sunlight.

yep. Also, flourescent lighting in stores will skunk it. Green glass isn't as good a filter as brown.

If you have any Bourbon, try Boilermakers
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:
"The final product of the reaction turns out to be what we call "skunky thiol," an analog of a compound found in skunk glands that produces a very bad taste and smell. This molecule has an extremely low taste and smell threshold in humans, just a few parts per trillion."

"Understanding mechanisms behind changes in beer tastes is important because the world beer industry is hoping to save money by storing, shipping and selling beer in less expensive clear glass," Forbes said. "Producers of Miller Genuine Draft, for example, already do that by adding a chemically modified hop compound to the beer. We have found evidence that Miller beer is still photochemically active, but it doesn’t make the same free radicals, and so those can’t lead to bad-tasting skunky thiols as quickly."

Corona beer also is sold in clear bottles, but manufacturers do not used a modified hop product, he said. Instead, they usually keep their bottles boxed to exclude light and encourage drinkers to add a slice of lime to improve the odor.

"Corona is marketed extremely cleverly," the chemist said.

Most interesting post of the evening!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:22:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 7:23:35 PM EDT by Gravity_Tester]
Interesting beer fact: Miller High Life and other Miller Macro-swill don't actually use whole hops in the process. They use a pre-isomerized hop extract, thereby bypassing the production of the thiols.

kinda like nutra-sweet for rednecks

eta: gotta read my own source material to make sure I don't repeat myself....D'OH!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:25:59 PM EDT
I honestly believe that "skunk" is created by "heat/chill/heat/chill" transportation issies.

I'm currently on a Molson Ice kick. Green bottles in 12 pack.. no light.. I still get skunk... I change to a "fast turn" distrubter.. and no skunk...

Personeal observation

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:26:34 PM EDT
I honestly believe that "skunk" is created by "heat/chill/heat/chill" transportation issues.

I'm currently on a Molson Ice kick. Green bottles in 12 pack.. no light.. I still get skunk... I change to a "fast turn" distrubter.. and no skunk...

Personeal observation

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FedGunner:
I honestly believe that "skunk" is created by "heat/chill/heat/chill" transportation issies.

Personeal observation

YMMV

did you read the article?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:22 PM EDT

Man, I bought a six pack of newcastle. Got it home, cracked one open ... and it smells skunky.

Sonovabitch I hate when that happens. Plus, this damn communist state shuts down all the beer stores at 9:00 PM so I can't go back and bitch to get something else.

What is the deal with the 9:00 pm curfew on booze?

My company sends me to the University of Wisconsin - Madison a couple times a year for a class. One night I tried to get a bottle for my room and I was told Madison does not allow liquor sales after 9 pm. Is that a state law or just a law of the liberal swill pit in Madison???
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 7:28:02 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]

Doesn't it all smell?
It's beer!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT
it smells skunky, but does it taste skunky?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:30:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:

My company sends me to the University of Wisconsin - Madison a couple times a year for a class. One night I tried to get a bottle for my room and I was told Madison does not allow liquor sales after 9 pm. Is that a state law or just a law of the liberal swill pit in Madison???

I think it's done in a lot of cities/towns in wisKKKonsin. I know from experience that madison, milwaukee+suburbs, and appleton do it. I'm sure there are many more. I don't think it's state wide though, because when I was in school in appleton we used to make a run to some gas station outside of town to get beer later at night.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Anteverius:
it smells skunky, but does it taste skunky?

Unfortunatly, yes.

I most of one bottle, dumped the rest, and tried a second one, same crap.

I'd test out the others but I'm going to try to get my money back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:32:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FedGunner:
I honestly believe that "skunk" is created by "heat/chill/heat/chill" transportation issues.

Personeal observation

YMMV

Ok, first, use that swill as slug bait. Warsteiner or Pilsner Urquell will be an acceptable substitute.
Now that you have a suitable beverage (closed cardboard container ONLY do not buy six packs), open 1 beer. Pour that beer between 2 glasses. do this in a room away from strong UV light (hint--the fluorescent lights in your kitchen generate UV). Place one glass under a cardboard box and place the other glass in direct sunlight. Give them about 15 minutes. Then tell me which glass tastes like the southern end of a northbound skunk.

GT
450 gallons of beer brewed by me in the past 3 years. Trust me, it's the light.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:34:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gravity_Tester:

GT
450 gallons of beer brewed by me in the past 3 years. Trust me, it's the light.

username have anything to do with booze and brew making?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:29 PM EDT
miller = shitty beer
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:37:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:

I think it's done in a lot of cities/towns in wisKKKonsin. I know from experience that madison, milwaukee+suburbs, and appleton do it. I'm sure there are many more. I don't think it's state wide though, because when I was in school in appleton we used to make a run to some gas station outside of town to get beer later at night.

I found it shocking coming from a state that brews a ton of beer. But then again, I live in Illinois, a state the is home to some big gun manufacturers, and we have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I have learned to bring my own booze to Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:46:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 7:49:47 PM EDT by SciFiNut]
Specific Gravity Testing is the ONLY way to accurately measure the strength of the brew... And comparing sucessive tests tells you when your fermentation or lagering has completed . Way more accurate that counting bubbles in a fermentation lock.

G-T, This time of year I'm brewing nothing but Pales, IPA's and Hefe-weisens... I got a Honey-Hefe recipie you might want to try... I need it to drop about 10 more degrees in the crawl-space before I can switch back to pilsners and the thermostat crapped out in my converted chest freezer... No more lagers until I fix that...

ETA - I'm corny-kegging 90% of my product now... but when I do bottle, it's nothing but BROWN GLASS, 16 oz bottles. They get stored in a case lined with foil in the crawlspace, or in a fridge in the basement.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

+1

Newcastle is real beer, shame to see it go bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:51:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SciFiNut:
G-T, This time of year I'm brewing nothing but Pales, IPA's and Hefe-weisens...

mmmm IPAs are my favorite kind.

I went into the store looking for some IPA but they didn't have any so it was newcastle instead.

damnit!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 7:54:19 PM EDT by WildBoar]

I went into the store looking for some IPA but they didn't have any so it was newcastle instead.

damnit!

Do they carry anything by Ommegang?
www.ommegang.com/
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

damnit!

Do they carry anything by Ommegang?

doesn't ring a bell.

there's a beer and wine store I usually go to that has all sorts of strange microbrews.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 7:55:21 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]
NEWSFLASH: It's beer! It's meant to be nasty!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:55:45 PM EDT
Try "Hop Devil"... I love that stuff! Nothing like a good bite of some Cascade hops.... Though a true IPA would be hopped to death with East Kent Goldings.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:09:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:
NEWSFLASH: It's beer! It's meant to be nasty!

Sir, the history of beer is something that quite possibly predates civilisation itself. In fact, there are anthropologists who are fairly certain that the original reason we started farming grains was not merely for bread, but for beer. It is a part of humanity now, and has been for millenia. Appreciate the history, and respect those who are keeping it alive. Not the commercial macro swill generators, but the craftsmen who can use nothing but water, barley and hops, and create a stunning variety of flavors and colors. Go crap on another thread.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:25 PM EDT

Specific Gravity Testing is the ONLY way to accurately measure the strength of the brew... And comparing sucessive tests tells you when your fermentation or lagering has completed . Way more accurate that counting bubbles in a fermentation lock.

G-T, This time of year I'm brewing nothing but Pales, IPA's and Hefe-weisens... I got a Honey-Hefe recipie you might want to try... I need it to drop about 10 more degrees in the crawl-space before I can switch back to pilsners and the thermostat crapped out in my converted chest freezer... No more lagers until I fix that...

ETA - I'm corny-kegging 90% of my product now... but when I do bottle, it's nothing but BROWN GLASS, 16 oz bottles. They get stored in a case lined with foil in the crawlspace, or in a fridge in the basement.

I haven't been brewing much of anything lately. Too hot and too busy. But I still have all my kit sitting, waiting patiently. And soon it will be time to brew again. My wife is after me for some Koelschy, and mom and dad want some Peach Ale on tap, And I could go for a little Betty Belligerent Brown myself.....

GT
and the name was originally in reference to my RC aircraft hobby, but fits nicely with the brewing too!
Top Top