Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 6:45:51 PM EDT
was b.s. with the dealer where i my gear from and we got on the subject of glocks leo discount.  do you think glock would be just as popular if they did not give a discount?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
As much as I like Glock pistols I would have to say no. If a Sig cost the same as a Glock, most would probably go Sig. While the Glock is a highly reliable weapon, it's nowhere near as accurate as a Sig. The Glock has a decisive edge over most manufacturers for a few reasons, cost is only one. Firepower (mag capacity), ease of use (point and click), ease of maintenance. I'm a Glock Armorer and there is NO easier pistol to repair, modify,upgrade, customize than the Glock series of pistols. Making a Glock a tac-driver is as easy as spending another $120 bucks on a drop-in aftermarket barrel, another $20 for some trigger parts that are drop-in with very little fitting (mostly polishing) and some good quailty sights that are also easily installed. Bingo. But, by the time you've spent the money for a gunsmith to do these easy mods and you might as well buy a Sig.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
from MY personal experience, Sig is much better.

Glock has a BIG name and cmoth is right about customizing and upgrading.

I think SIG would be more popular then glock if the prices where right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Well from the standpoint of someone who grew up on single action pistols, I would say glock would still do just as well.

Once most shooters go glock they never go back to sig....

Right now the sheriff's dept. I'm with carries sigs, I've had two jams out of my brand new 228. (It could have been ammo). But either way I like the glock better. It is a more similar shooting style to the 1911 or revolvers, and I just love the ergo's.

just my .02
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a P226R .40 as a duty gun, and a G27 as a BUG. Both have their strong points. I prefer Sig's as duty guns over the full size Glocks. Try as I might, I can't quite master the triggers on the full size Glocks......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have the 226 in .40 and the Glock models 22 and 27.  All I can say is that my qualification scores are identicle with all three pistols.  For daily carrying though, the full size G22 is a little lighter than the Sig 226.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as combat situations, training, and reliability, my vote goes for Glock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot both Sig and Glock weaponry.  I like both but tend to shoot better with a Sig.  I would be confident carrying either though into harms way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I own Glocks and Sigs. Sig is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig does make a pistol that is the same price as a Glock, its the Sig Pro.  How popular is that?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used both Glocks and Sigs. They are both good, reliable pistols but I prefer a pistol with an actual trigger pull instead of a trigger press which is I carry my own P220 on duty. If they forced me to carry a Glock I would without a problem but I just don't shoot one as good as a Sig.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have Glocks and Sigs (both personal and issued).  In general, I believe that a Glock is the best "general issue" gun out there.  It is simple, reliable, and requires little maintenance.  It is the best thing to issue to the majority of non-firearm oriented personnel or for areas that are hostile to machinery (salt water, etc.).  Sigs are better for people who are gun-oriented and are willing to do a little more maintenance.

I carry a Sig for day-to-day use (personal P245), but when hurricane season hits and I am assigned storm patrol duties, I break out the Glock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with the above statement 100%

The Glock is a great gun. Uber reliable, simplicity at its finest. Great gun for general, one size fits all issue purposes.

That being said, my department is a carry what you want agency. I carry a Sig P220, because thats what i like, and thats what Im comfortable with. Im one of only two guys who dont carry a Glock. The other carries a 1911. We are really the only two "gun guys" there.

If I was issued a Glock, I would carry it, and not bitch one bit. As long as its up to me as far as what i carry, it will be a Sig or 1911.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have GLocks and Sigs.   The Sig is much more accurate and I enjoy shooting it at the range a lot more.   The Glock is tough as nails though and is almost perfect as a duty gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The Glock 17 is the duty gun and a 26 is the off duty one.  A sig 228 sits in a box, love the gun but hate that first trigger pull.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the move towars the Glock and Glock like trigger pulls is due to the absence of revolvers in modern pistolcraft.

I grew up shooting a wheelgun, and never even fired an auto of any kind until I was 20.  The first pull on a sig is no different than a wheelgun, except the fact that you cant feel the cylinder. I am comortable with it, as I am with DAO autos. However, I am an anomaly. A 26 yr old cop who shoots a wheelgun better than an auto.

I firmly believe than ANY perosn who really want to be a pistolero of any kind should master the revolver frst. After that is done, any handgun of any kind can be picked up and shot.

Personally, I find the trigger on the Glock to be horrendous. Mushy, with no feel to it. The first pull on my beat to hell P220 is wonderful, and is reminiscent of the wheelgun I love so much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I think Glocks are popular for one, because of their price, and two they are easy to handle and shoot.  Its a simply gun, load and pull the trigger.  Shouldnt take rocket science to figure it out.

I've always used Glocks.  When I started riding with my local PD, they all carried glocks and I used to do some firearms qualifications when them and I used their glocks.  I then got a Glock 9mm and I loved it.

I have only fired a Sig once while doing qualifications with the local warden service, and I liked it, but I have small hands and it seemed to have to big of a grip for me.

I now carry the Glock model 21, .45 caliber and I would never trade it for anything else.  While at the academy, I dropped it in the snow and the slide and barrell got covered / lodged with snow, I put the clip in and if fired no problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As far as combat situations, training, and reliability, my vote goes for Glock.

Exactly!  Glock is INFINITELY easier to train recruits on compared to sig.  Aside from the double/single action ass ache with the SIG, the Glock is still a simpler and reliable weapon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]

I have only fired a Sig once while doing qualifications with the local warden service, and I liked it, but I have small hands and it seemed to have to big of a grip for me.

I now carry the Glock model 21, .45 caliber

Ok, you shot a Sig, and thought its "grip was too big", so you bought the gun with the largest, most unergonomic grip this side of an Acme Brick? There is no Sig made that has a grip even close the the 21 in size.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I now carry the Glock model 21, .45 caliber

Ok, you shot a Sig, and thought its "grip was too big", so you bought the gun with the largest, most unergonomic grip this side of an Acme Brick? There is no Sig made that has a grip even close the the 21 in size.

The glock just feels better in my hands I guess is what I was trying to say.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#20]
However, I am an anomaly. A 26 yr old cop who shoots a wheelgun better than an auto.

patrol 120 you are not alone on this one.  seems like i can shot my smith 640 and other wheelguns better than my g22 with the suckie ny1 trigger.  i can stage the trigger on wheelguns and get "yelled" at when i stage the trigger to qualtify with my 640.

yes glocks are simply as dirt when it comes to training and maintance, but i perfer sigs.  our head firearms instructor perfers sigs, but the powers that be, make us carry glocks.

speaking of triggers i work with a reserve airforce sgt who likes the trigger on berettas better than glocks. he must drink the jet fuel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#21]
A good Beretta trigger is something beautiful to behold. If the rest of the gun were as good as the trigger, Id own a dozen.  Drop a DAO spring in a 96 Beretta, and it is truly of the gods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top