Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2016 3:13:53 PM EDT
the question is simple.  I think someone will do it eventually without a doubt.   How can it be stopped? if we shouldn't
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
One Huma is too many

edit: bah, OP fixed his typo
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
the chinese are working on it

http://www.vice.com/read/chinas-taking-over-the-world-with-a-massive-genetic-engineering-program

At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation's intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If we don't or not, won't effect the fact that the Chinese will.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]

We'll have spartans soon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Now that i am thinking about it this maybe the only way to keep humans ahead of artificial inteligence if that is possible at all.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Poll fail, no larger penis option.

But seriously, I'm not a fan of genetic engineering, but I don't see how it could be stopped. Sure we could outlaw it here, but other countries would be going forward with it. So I don't know what to think.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
If we can eliminate debilitating diseases and conditions then definitely.  I'll volunteer for Halo/Wolverine enhancement program.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The entirety of human existence is competition. I would imagine every angle that is possible to gain leverage over other groups has and is being explored. I would imagine that is what happens at the secret bases in antarctica and other remote places that are not spoken of. Any government that didnt explore any and all possibilities would be failing in its official duty to protect and further its side. If you dont do it because it "sounds like a movie plot" then next year groups you are competing against have it as standard operating procedure do you just giggle and laugh and say "oh well....?"
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
NO.....that is God's business, humans should not be meddling in his work.  Just one Christian mans opinion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
It can't be stopped.    Those who shy away from it, will soon be rendered obsolete by those who practice it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I voted "yes" and "there is no way to stop it".  If we can make a better human, wouldn't it be morally wrong not to do so?  And, some one is going to do this; I'd rather it be the US of A than our enemies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes we should, you can't stop it, I want gills and conscious control of my metabolism.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://www.vice.com/read/chinas-taking-over-the-world-with-a-massive-genetic-engineering-program

At BGI Shenzhen, scientists have collected DNA samples from 2,000 of the world’s smartest people and are sequencing their entire genomes in an attempt to identify the alleles which determine human intelligence. Apparently they’re not far from finding them, and when they do, embryo screening will allow parents to pick their brightest zygote and potentially bump up every generation's intelligence by five to 15 IQ points. Within a couple of generations, competing with the Chinese on an intellectual level will be like challenging Lena Dunham to a getting-naked-on-TV contest.

Coool...

I see nothing wrong with smarter healthier people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Technology and medical science is almost at the point where we will have no real existential stressors, considering our population size and prevailing cultures I think it is safe to say that this it.  This is as good as we are going to get without germ level gene manipulation.

Of course we are in no way prepared in any way for that kind of gene therapy, and once it starts it will mean our extinction.  Probably within a generation or two some disease will come along and burn through our now horrendously inbred progeny like a wildfire and that'll be it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no free lunch in nature.  The superhuman will suffer from some debilitating abnormality.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Coool...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coool...

well, that it's a bunch of creepy ass commies at the forefront is possibly wrong.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
If it can be done, it will be done.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Augs are mo beta.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

well, that it's a bunch of creepy ass commies at the forefront is possibly wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coool...

Their IQ's are already higher than that of the rest o the world's anyway.  Interesting times for sure.  The West will likely not tolerate the idea of playing God.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
we should weed out the Liberal gene
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a religious person so I will just say do not mess with nature on this level.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coool...

Well, that is bothersome...

Imagine these guys at 6'6", 220lbs, super fast, super strong, super smart.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#25]
But then again...

Imagine them 5'10", C and D cups...

Maybe all looking like this...

I for one welcome our new Chinese goddess overlords...

Brown chicken, brown cow...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#26]
It's definitely going to happen.  It'll start in a very palatable way: the screening and elimination of genetic diseases and defects from embryos.  Almost everyone can get onboard with the idea of ensuring that their children will be born without missing limbs or Tay-Sachs (or insert whatever might potentially run in your bloodline, presuming you're not Ashkenazi).

And then it slowly creeps from their - making sure your kids won't have allergies or poor eyesight...might as well make sure that they are as smart as they can be while your in there.  Tweak things so that they'll be tall and strong.  And eventually it builds up across generations (even discounting the possibility of being able to radically improve the offspring from any two parents) so that populations are on average much stronger, healthier and more intelligent than their grandparents generation.

The biggest pitfalls are a lack of full understanding of how all of the genes interact with one another (it would be bad if changing the gene code slightly to make an improvement in one area led to trouble in another, especially if it was the sort of recessive defect that wouldn't be expressed for several generations) and stratification of society based on gene lines - a chromosomal caste system, if you will, a la Gattaca.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I would like to see steroid use and for lack of a better word testosterone (cypionate) use "decriminalized".

If human growth hormone could be lowered in price and red tape so us non movie stars can get our hands on it, that would be great.

I think he is 62 in that pic.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I AM a genetically engineered super human.

My parents made me.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope we do. Evolution can be accomplished with purpose and direction. I see that as a positive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/pla-parade.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1600
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coool...

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/pla-parade.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1600

It's the super smart that has the most potential to provide a massive advantage.  Instead of worrying about an army of PT gods, think about what all their tech gurus are cooking up when their best and brightest are smarter than ours.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#31]
There won't be any way to stop it.  Hopefully it won't happen during my lifetime.  Non genetically engineered people will become a subclass.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coool...

And a second heart to increase bloodflow and survivability, oxygen utilization of a dolphin so they're never winded, eyes designed for low light performance, etc

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#33]
It will happen.

The Chinese will definitely have no qualms about it.  It will essentially be another arms race at some point.  Countries that don't engage in genetic engineering will be left behind.  And eliminating debilitating and deadly diseases would seem to be a moral obligation if you know how to do it.

The die has already been cast on this. Most here will see it in their lifetime.  I expect it will happen openly in the next 10 years or so.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is no free lunch in nature.  The superhuman will suffer from some debilitating abnormality.
View Quote

Naive, dismissive assumption.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's definitely going to happen.  It'll start in a very palatable way: the screening and elimination of genetic diseases and defects from embryos.  Almost everyone can get onboard with the idea of ensuring that their children will be born without missing limbs or Tay-Sachs (or insert whatever might potentially run in your bloodline, presuming you're not Ashkenazi).

And then it slowly creeps from their - making sure your kids won't have allergies or poor eyesight...might as well make sure that they are as smart as they can be while your in there.  Tweak things so that they'll be tall and strong.  And eventually it builds up across generations (even discounting the possibility of being able to radically improve the offspring from any two parents) so that populations are on average much stronger, healthier and more intelligent than their grandparents generation.

The biggest pitfalls are a lack of full understanding of how all of the genes interact with one another (it would be bad if changing the gene code slightly to make an improvement in one area led to trouble in another, especially if it was the sort of recessive defect that wouldn't be expressed for several generations) and stratification of society based on gene lines - a chromosomal caste system, if you will, a la Gattaca.
View Quote

OTOH, just as with the genetic engineering in plants (frankenfood), I'd want there to be some "heirloom seed" stashed away somewhere, just in case things go awry and we need to go back to the OP.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would happily pay big bucks to make myself healthier, stronger, smarter, longer life, etc.
View Quote

Too late.  Can't be done aftermarket, has to be done OEM at the factory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an assumption.  If you want superhuman, it has to be done through eons of evolution.  Shortcutting it will just result in grotesque abnormalities.  DNA is as complicated as the universe.  Well beyond the abilities of man or its machines to fully comprehend.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Read David Gerrold's Voyage of the Star Wolf.  They're called Morthans, short for "more than human".  Great old school rock em' sock em' sci fi.

Gerrold wrote Star Trek's The Trouble With Tribbles, if you need his bona fides.  He also wrote the Chtorr series, which is about an alien biology overrunning Earth.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
It's inevitable. I just hope we're smart enough to maintain diversity. And by diversity, I don't mean pigmentation, but different strengths, aptitudes, as well as vulnerabilities.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Emperor of man has already began construction of his secret labs in tibet. First the thunder warriors, then the space marines.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#42]
One question nobody wants to ask is why would the superior humans follow the inferior ones? When you're obsolete, its time to eliminate your access to limited resources.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But then again...

Imagine them 5'10", C and D cups...
http://i.imgur.com/Bs2YAPZ.jpg

Maybe all looking like this...
http://thiswallpaper.com/cdn/hdwallpapers/679/gorgeous%20fan%20bingbing%20%20wallpaper.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/W4jWAwUb63c/hqdefault.jpg
I for one welcome our new Chinese goddess overlords...

Brown chicken, brown cow...
View Quote

In how.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#44]
They are walking among now. See Emily Ratajkowski and Candice Swanepoel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm just glad I won't be around long enough to be obsolete.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm just glad I won't be around long enough to be obsolete.
View Quote

Folks love retro, that's what I'm counting on!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#47]
It's probably already underway in several places around the world right now.

Special special forces, coming right up.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Just look around any city and you'll see God needs help with his dna recombinations.
That shit retard sir.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I for one welcome the coming super mutant vs. cyborg vs. AI vs. puny human wars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#50]
So Eugenics is back on the table?

Won't be but a generation or two and the inferiors will need to eliminated.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top