Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/17/2010 7:42:13 AM EDT
He has 2 labs, one is considerably older than the other, all he has out side is a blanket in the middle of his lawn, and it is snowed on.

It is snowing right now, he has ZERO shelter for his dogs.

I don't want to be the asshole who called the cops, but damn...

I have a extra dog house, but every time I go to his house to ask if he wants it for free, he is never home.

Do you think he would be pissed if I just put it in his bad yard? (over the fence.)  (then leave a note on his door?)

These dogs are out 24/7.  The snow just started comming down hard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I would do it and I don't even like dogs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
i vote put it in his back yard. If he gives you shit tell him you could have called the cops and got his ass tossed in the clink for animal abuse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Put it in the backyard.

Put a bunch of dog food inside.

ETA: I would call the police, but the temps here would kill a dog. Not sure about CO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]

It's ranged from 5-15 degrees here the past few days (including snow and ice) and my dog loves it outside, go figure.  He wont come in for shit.  Stays outside from the time I get home in the morning until I wake up in the early evening.  The only shelter he has is a covered porch.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I would call animal control. If he leaves his dogs outside in the snow all day with no shelter, they are probably also being mistreated in another manner (food/water/something).

I don't have much sympathy for anyone who willingly decides to keeps pets and then does not provide the most basic of survival necessities to them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Please help those poor pooches any way possible. Some people should not own pets!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]
MYOB...

Leave your neighbor alone, leave his dogs alone, leave his property alone, don't call the cops over somehting like this and cause problems.

...MYOB
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Do it in such a way that lets the guy save a little face. Plop it in his backyard with a big-ass bow on top of it. Say its a Christmas present.

This way, the dogs are taken care of, and your the cool neighbor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's ranged from 5-15 degrees here the past few days (including snow and ice) and my dog loves it outside, go figure.  He wont come in for shit.  Stays outside from the time I get home in the morning until I wake up in the early evening.  The only shelter he has is a covered porch.

These dog have NOTHING.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would call animal control. If he leaves his dogs outside in the snow all day with no shelter, they are probably also being mistreated in another manner (food/water/something).

I don't have much sympathy for anyone who willingly decides to keeps pets and then does not provide the most basic of survival necessities to them.

this
ASAP
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Called animal control once over a douchebag neighbor and they told me as long as they have some form of cover and a heated water bowl, nothing they can do and the dogs should be fine. The colder it is the harder of a time I have getting my 12 y/o Aussie to come inside.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
If the owners are not home I would snag them, feed/water/house them. if confronted, I would claim they escaped and I was just looking after them.

couldn't sit by and watch them suffer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Pour them a big bowl of anti-freeze. As the name suggests it will keep them warm in these chilly winter months.

You guys are a bunch of ninnies.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I would. But is the dog house room for two?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Pour them a big bowl of anti-freeze. As the name suggests it will keep the warm in this chilly winter months.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MYOB...

Leave your neighbor alone, leave his dogs alone, leave his property alone, don't call the cops over somehting like this and cause problems.

...MYOB

If you can't provide basic needs for an animal or food, water and shelter, you need to rethink owning animals.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a neighbor who did that to his dog once.  I "shot" it one night.  Actually I fired a shot into the ground, dug a hole, and then gave the still quite alive dog to a buddy of mine who gave it a home that dogs can only dream of.  She was quite the looker, an all-black GSD.  The neighbor was too afraid to even ask what happened.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pour them a big bowl of anti-freeze. As the name suggests it will keep the warm in this chilly winter months.

Yea, I don't trust people from AL when it comes to keeping warm in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this

ASAP

+87

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do it in such a way that lets the guy save a little face. Plop it in his backyard with a big-ass bow on top of it. Say its a Christmas present.

Good idea,I'd put the house over the fence and when he gets home go over and let him know you put it there.Unless this guy is a raging asshole he will probably thank you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pour them a big bowl of anti-freeze. As the name suggests it will keep them warm in these chilly winter months.

I hope you and a fire come together and neither one of you can get away from each other!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MYOB...

...MYOB

If you can't provide basic needs for an animal or food, water and shelter, you need to rethink owning animals.

If you cant MYOB then you need to rethink living near prople.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Do it. Put a big red bow on it. Then it's a Christmas present, and not charity, which may offend him.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you and a fire come together and neither one of you can get away from each other!!!

OMG, it was obviously a joke.

In a thread about a barking neighbor dog - distasteful.
In a thread about a dog living out in the cold - hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#26]
That would be a crime here in Clark County. Could cost him 6 months in the slammer.  

If you have a shelter for the dogs offer it to him.  If he is a jackass about the carrot, consider the stick...

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a story along these lines...

I built a dog house from humane society plans, but beefed up the house... insulated walls, floors, roof.  carpeted.  clear flexible plastic flaps over the entrance, properly shingled roof.. blankets and/or dog bed inside of it.... the right size for the lab, even I could get in it w/o a problem.

I came home one day, it was cold, October.  there was a note on the door from a neighbor telling me the dog was at her place. (she had 2 dogs and all 3 dogs got along well.)

I told my daughter (9 at the time) to go get her dog..  

she came back with a story that the neighbor lady was yelling at  her, how cruel we were to the dog and that she was going to call animal control (blah blah blah)... now at this time, I was up to my neck in a divorce with legal fees I could barely afford on top of child support.. I didnt need any more issues to deal with, especially ones that could cost me money or even worse, get me tossed in jail.  so I decided to surrender the dog to the local animal shelter.. they were not taking new dogs, but were sympathetic to my situation and made an exception.  they told me that because I had provided shelter for the dog, there wasn't too much they would have done if the neighbor did call.  
I broke my daughters heart that day.  

It took everything I had to not go over to the neighbors house and SSS.

I never let my daughter go over to their house or speak to them ever again (and neither did I).
my daughter tells me from time to time how she misses that dog.  we don't have a dog now because I actually care about the dog's life.. we don't have the room nor time for one.... some day though...

back to the OP...  put the dog house over there..  you're doing the right thing for the dogs, it's not costing anyone anything... I'm sure the owner would be
more appreciative of that effort vs calling the spca/animal control or whatever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Why not just put the doghouse back there? No note. Then if he gets rid of it, call the cops. Give the dogs some kevlar before doing so though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I don't trust people from AL when it comes to keeping warm in the winter.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

wow really?  i hope a mod with dog reads that...and well bye.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Same here.  I'm a cat person and dogs generally piss me off but I couldn't tolerate watching that.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
ASAP

this, or bring the dog into your house and leave a note on the door (saying that the dogs 'escaped").  When he comes knocking, offer the dog house...

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm waiting for an update with a picture of two dogs snuggled up inside of a shelter. Come on OP!   you can doo it!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Put it in the backyard.

Put a bunch of dog food inside.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow really?  i hope a mod with dog reads that...and well bye.

your sarcasm/joke meter is broken...go get it fixed and calibrated
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a story along these lines...

I built a dog house from humane society plans, but beefed up the house... insulated walls, floors, roof.  carpeted.  clear flexible plastic flaps over the entrance, properly shingled roof.. blankets and/or dog bed inside of it.... the right size for the lab, even I could get in it w/o a problem.

I came home one day, it was cold, October.  there was a note on the door from a neighbor telling me the dog was at her place. (she had 2 dogs and all 3 dogs got along well.)

I told my daughter (9 at the time) to go get her dog..  

she came back with a story that the neighbor lady was yelling at  her, how cruel we were to the dog and that she was going to call animal control (blah blah blah)... now at this time, I was up to my neck in a divorce with legal fees I could barely afford on top of child support.. I didnt need any more issues to deal with, especially ones that could cost me money or even worse, get me tossed in jail.  so I decided to surrender the dog to the local animal shelter.. they were not taking new dogs, but were sympathetic to my situation and made an exception.  they told me that because I had provided shelter for the dog, there wasn't too much they would have done if the neighbor did call.  
I broke my daughters heart that day.  

It took everything I had to not go over to the neighbors house and SSS.

I never let my daughter go over to their house or speak to them ever again (and neither did I).
my daughter tells me from time to time how she misses that dog.  we don't have a dog now because I actually care about the dog's life.. we don't have the room nor time for one.... some day though...

back to the OP...  put the dog house over there..  you're doing the right thing for the dogs, it's not costing anyone anything... I'm sure the owner would be
more appreciative of that effort vs calling the spca/animal control or whatever.

So, even after the shelter told you that they would have not taken any action against you, you still gave away your daughter's dog?  
Not saying I know your situation, but I would have told the neighbor to FOAD.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Labs LOVE the cold
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah, I would. But is the dog house room for two?

This.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea,I'd put the house over the fence and when he gets home go over and let him know you put it there.Unless this guy is a raging asshole he will probably thank you.

And I like this idea.  Just say it was snowing and it looked like they could use some shelter.  You'd be voicing your concerns with minimal waves.  

Calling animal control is certainly a resonable option as well.  Although, there are probably only so many people that can see the dogs in the backyard, behind that fence.  He's gonna know it was either the neighbor to the left or the right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MYOB...

...MYOB

This. Take care of your pets, or lose them. Pets, like children, can't choose for themselves. I'm 100% for you living how the fuck you want, but not when your shitty choices hurt innocent things.

Don't like it? Simple, be a responsible pet owner and your neighbors won't feel to call animal control. Better yet, don't be a pet owner....what possible joy does a dog living outside with no provisions in bad conditions bring you?

Assholes.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Labs LOVE the cold
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'm waiting for an update with a picture of two dogs snuggled up inside of a shelter. Come on OP!   you can doo it!

It would be funny if they refused to go inside opting to stay in the snow and yard, had a couple of dogs long ago that refused to go inside the things.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuck giving him free shit because he cant take care of his own business. Thats precicley why we are in the situation we find ourselves in as a nation today.
Animal control or cops NOW.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This x 1000

The neighbor shouldn't have animals if he won't provide the most basic of needs for the poor pups.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow...some people become rapidly irrational about warm fuzzy things. Dude made an obvious joke, came back and explained himself, and people are still crying. Now if he had said to feed rat poison to a cat in a more serious tone...no, wait...I'd still be good with that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Labs LOVE the cold

Some do, but they can also die when the conditions are too cold and they have no shelter. Seen it first hand when my mom ran a kennel & rescue. Mine will stay outside in the snow and cold a long time, but not 24/7 bare to the elements.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#47]
OP: it's been an hour.  What did you do?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#49]
the wait is killing me... this thread is making my heart hurt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i vote put it in his back yard. If he gives you shit tell him you could have called the cops and got his ass tossed in the clink for animal abuse.

Toss in a little food to make sure they go inside and maybe an old towel or blanket if you have one you don't mind getting rid of.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top