Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 6:47:11 PM EDT
thinking about buying a DSA Para kit for my DSA Imbel rifle.

Anything I need to know about build a FAL lower or about a Para style FAL in general?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What parts do you currently own?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

none as of now, but a complete FAL standard rifle
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to buy a para rifle or build one from a kit. There are a lot of differences between FAL para and fixed stock rifles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
PICTURES MAN!!!!

We need pictures first! Then we can decide!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PICTURES MAN!!!!

here's a pic of it with two of my other .308 rifles
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You will need a para lower receiver, bolt carrier, dust cover at a minimum. I think you can get a para dustcover with the para tabs cut off for a standard upper receiver or you can get your receiver machined on.  I still need to build a para, got a SA lower, and a complete rhodie kit with the babyshit green camo spattered over it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The DSA Para kit has everything you need. You'll want the "no nose" option, unless you want to remove the barrel and have the machine work done on the receiver.

Now, FAL Para's are cool, and they do achieve the use they were designed for, but I don't think they are as nice to shoot as regular stocked FALs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I am eventually going to convert my 16" carbine to a Para.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PICTURES MAN!!!!

here's a pic of it with two of my other .308 rifles
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn150/beamy85/308rifles001JPG.jpg

NICE! Wanted an FAL for a while now. I like the Para kits but how does it affect balance. Have you shot one before with the Para kit?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The DSA Para kit has everything you need. You'll want the "no nose" option, unless you want to remove the barrel and have the machine work done on the receiver.

Now, FAL Para's are cool, and they do achieve the use they were designed for, but I don't think they are as nice to shoot as regular stocked FALs.

that is exactly the kit I was looking at, kinda figured though that the folding stock wouldn't be as much fun to shoot with though
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The nice thing about having a para is that it is cheap and quick to switch to a standard lower.  It's a lot more expensive to go the other way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to buy a para rifle or build one from a kit. There are a lot of differences between FAL para and fixed stock rifles.

A top cover, bolt carrier, lower and stock.
It's easy to change and you don't need a whole new gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
nice

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a nice conversion kit, I wish they offered it 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thinking about buying a DSA Para kit for my DSA Imbel rifle.

Anything I need to know about build a FAL lower or about a Para style FAL in general?

If you want to use your current rifle as much as possible, the lower needs to be modified with a cut on the recoil plate, the removal of the buttstock and recoil assembly, and the cutting off or removal of the tang.  You would need a para folding buttstock and hinge block and put that on.  You may have to change your rear sight (or you could modify the block to accomodate the standard sight like in the South African folding-butt R1s).  You will also need a para bolt carrier, top cover, and recoil spring assembly (guide, 2 inner springs, and an outer spring).  If you have a para cover with a nose it will have to be cut off or the receiver cut to accomodate it.  I'm not sure if it would affect headspace, but I'd check anyways.  If you want a folding charging handle you'll have to swap that out, too.  Everything else can be used as-is.

The other option is to get a para lower receiver (cheapest would be to get a stripped lower and switch the parts over) and get the bolt carrier, recoil springs, and top cover.

You can also either buy a new rifle or get a para parts kit and do a build on an upper receiver of your choice.

This is what a rifle looks like built off of a kit; it's going to get guncote or enamel paint applied and then it'll be done.  Before the scope and mount were bought the total cost was $800, not including the bullet button.  I got everything piecemeal for my friend (who's rifle this is).  Lower assembly except the rear sight (which is DSA) is all South African, a para conversion of a standard lower for a Rhodesian contract; barrel is South African as well, Rhodie surplus, as is the sand-cut bolt carrier and the bolt (bolt is Belgian, don't know about the carrier).  Belgian BGS front swivel, unknown manufacture combo device, original top cover was unknown American but now it has the DSA scope mount with a cheap Leeper's scope .  Upper is a Coonan.  Charging handle is a British inch-pattern modified for use on a metric receiver.  Handguards are IMBEL.  Mag release is South African/Rhodie surplus.  The other small parts are of various but unkown origin.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

that is exactly the kit I was looking at, kinda figured though that the folding stock wouldn't be as much fun to shoot with though

I barely notice any difference in felt recoil and have both para and fixed stock guns.

Get the cheek pad while you're shopping, it is worth the money.

http://www.dsarms.com/Customizable-ITC-Railrest-for-all-FAL-Para––––-CR140A/productinfo/CR140A/

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I converted my full length Imbel FAL to a Para with the DSA kit this spring.

I had Randy Kline aka "Sledge Hammer" cut/crown the barrel to 18" and machine the para nose cut into the receiver.

I'm very happy with it and don't really notice any difference in felt recoil.

I also use one of DSA's para scope mounts with an Aimpoint M2 from time to time.

All in all, I'm very happy with my converted para FAL.

Now I need to get another full size FAL to go with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top